Great songs heard on radio

Normally it’s the usual Michael Buble etc Christmas songs that get trotted out, but it was refreshing to hear someone like Bing Crosby!

4 Likes

Rainy Day Woman (aka Everybody Must Get Stoned) - Bob Dylan on where else but the Rebel! Never thought I hear this on commercial radio!

4 Likes

The Belle Of St Mark / Sheila E on BBC R2 just now.

I haven’t heard that song on the radio since the mid to late 80s!

4 Likes

I found that out when I did a Google search

1 Like

Spent 30 mins doing an FM/DAB scan this afternoon, and I heard 4 great songs in that period

The Riddle - Nik Kershaw (on ABC Radio Sydney)

I Don’t Like Mondays - The Boomtown Rats (on FUN Digital DAB Sydney)

Talking In Your Sleep - The Romantics (on Triple M Sydney).

This next one I haven’t heard on the radio in a long long time:

If She Knew What She Wants - The Bangles (on 2RE Taree).

7 Likes

That’s my favourite Bangles song.

Today I heard Fairytale Of New York / The Pogues on Smooth. It’s always on high rotation as a Christmas song in the UK but I don’t think I’ve ever heard it on Australian radio! It’s one of my favourite Christmas songs - it’s very dark :smiley:

3 Likes

‘Walking Down Your Street’ is another good one. I’m not sure if 4BRZ or others give that a run. I know 2EC (2BE) played it in 1986 :smiley:

2 Likes

We play it on brekky on Triple M Newcastle as the brekky host’s husband is Irish and she fell in love with them.

Great song.

2 Likes

I think there should be more of that, picking a few US/UK/NZ only hits now and then to see how they fly. I do that regularly on my shows.

2 Likes

It’s played numerous times on Coles Radio but they cut out the verse that has the word that rhymes with maggot.

2 Likes

I always like to play that game with ‘Money For Nothing’.

They always play the radio edit of that song.

Commercials maybe, not all community stations though.

2SER FM played the unedited version of Laid Back’s 1984 hit “White Horse” this afternoon.

The announcer apologised several times at the end of the song for the “offensive” lyrics (being the title of a Meredith Brooks song that gets played on commercial radio regularly).

1 Like

Saturday nights are usually the best for rarer songs to be heard on the radio and here’s a list from tonight, aided by some ducting allowing a few extra stations to be added into the mix

89.3 2GLF Liverpool = Constant Craving by kd Lang
90.5 2HD Lake Macquarie = Stumblin In by Suzi Quatro
96.5 2UUL Wollongong = Apple Eyes by Swoop
100.3 2MAC Campbelltown = Roadhouse Blues by The Doors
103.7 2NUR Newcastle = Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple
105.3 2NEW Newcastle = Spirit In The Sky by Dr & The Medics
Triole M regionals = Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin

Some of these used to get played regularly, but are not heard so much these days.

5 Likes

Constant Craving is one of those songs that got played so, so much for a time and then all but disappeared, and has been largely ignored by classic hits radio. The song always reminds me of B105 although Triple M also played it.

3 Likes

Was it also played with the line “you’re an old s*** on junk”?

I’m guessing you don’t frequent too many guitar shops.

Reminds me of Dire Strait’s “Money For Nothing” which has the same word you’re referring to 3 times in one verse.

Radio tends to cut out the entire verse, as I checked this on WSFM today when it was played.

Not sure if I’d call it a great song, but it’s one that I haven’t heard on radio for at least 2 decades.

Eternal - Power of a Woman

Heard on Star 104.5 this morning via tropo.

4 Likes