ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

I’m in the Hunter Valley and I have it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I probably listen to them both fairly equally. I like the vibe of KOST and it’s a bit more up beat, while Breeze is a bit broader in their playlist which I also like.

1 Like

One of the things about KOST that has made it stand out have been the JAM jingle packages. I especially like the music beds built into the jingles designed to stop DJs talking over the songs.

2 Likes

4CC Gladstone moved into new studios at 84 Glenlyon St Gladstone back in August.
Sadly I haven’t been able to find any pics of the studios yet.

https://www.realcommercial.com.au/property-retail-qld-gladstone+central-502404478

4 Likes

New technology? mmmm

Im not sure id allow the newspaper to publish a photo with a dogs breakfast wiring mess like that… just shocking… I could take a guess who did this and id probably be right

Notice the Cisco switch… say it with me… RACK SCREWS

3 Likes

This article and this video show inside the new 4CC studio.

Interesting to note that it appears that there is only one desk-mounted microphone for guests, but there are several sets of headphones with microphones attached. I’d be interested to hear thoughts on this from the engineers on here (@radioengineer, @RFBurns), but it seems to me like a cheap solution that will compromise sound quality.

They are using a Klotz Xenon panel, the same as in Rockhampton and Bundaberg. With the help of Radio Info, I believe the history of these is that Prime Radio purchased 13 of them back in 2009, but most/all of them were not installed at the time. So that meant that Grant Broadcasters inherited them, and are now using them for new studios and refits to save money. (which makes sense since they are new units, despite being technology released over 10 years ago).

Overall the studio appear to be quite basic and bland for a new “state-of-the-art” studio with the “latest” equipment.

It’s an option doing it that way, & doesn’t necessarily lose sound quality, some ABC stations use headphones & mic’s in one unit like that.

We have 5 sets of those (not same brand/manufacture) for outside broadcasts & football commentary, & there’s no loss in sound quality over separate mic’s & headphones.

They’re good for unexperienced guests too, because no matter which way they look/turn their head, they’re always on mic.

They take up less space on the desk too, & some of the smaller desk mount, space saver mic’s sound shit, & pickup every tap, bump & knock on the desk.

1 Like

We trialled headsets at Triple M Sydney like 15 years ago, but they only lasted a week. The talent wanted to be able to stand up and move around the studio, but you can’t get excited and back off mic, so you end up popping and distorting.

Personally I’m not a fan, we use audio technica ones for our call team, and while they don’t sound awful, the sideline guy who is on a big sennheiser wireless mic sounds heaps better.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say headsets are even a cheap option!..a pair of good Bayers Dynamics start around $500… and they are the cheaper end of the scale!

without being used properly they can sounds really bad…Some users think they are a fighter pilot and want to put it right in front of their mouth… like mcpaton said ends up distorting and popping sounding like crap.

As for 4CC and their consoles… Klotz Xenon are the biggest piece of garbage panel I have ever had the displeasure of having to service… one of the features is it will drop its config (usually over a weekend or overnight) so you just leave the RS232 plugged in permanently… they also have a bad habit of developing a clicking in the headphones which a reboot fixes.

As for “state-of-the-art” the RME monitor panel in that photo is 30+ years old… I think the newest piece of gear they have in the rack is the Tieline merlin which MJB is pointing to… perhaps thats what he meant!

I guess what you have to take into account Gladstone town isn’t in a good way, along with local business and they are an AM station which is fighting for money from 2 Big FM stations… so a low budget build is called for… however thats no excuse for a low care factor build which is exhibited in that photo

7 Likes

Neil Mitchell uses a headset, I can’t think of many others who do outside of sports.

4CC looks ghastly. This bloke seems to have to a lot to say about engineering of stations in the vicinity on a FB group:

Address your feedback to John Sandles at KRock in Geelong. It’s the Camerons, their Scottish heritage is saving money once again.

Most of the in article quotes are hilarious, Bailey thinks a new studio will boost signal.

I hope there’s a follow up article, we need a sequel to keep the laughs going.

1 Like

Yes, Keith is the Engineer based in Bundaberg and works on the Gladstone and Rockhampton stations aswell.

New positioning at K rock Geelong: "Geelong’s Home of the Hits"

#putoutyourguitarpicks

1 Like

Its a bit of an oxymoron to call it “The Home Of The Hits” when the station name is still K-ROCK ??

3 Likes

The slogan at least now stops pretending they’re anything but a hit music station, but it should have changed 10 years ago in all honesty

2 Likes

Yeah they need to change the name. What does it even mean anyway? There’s no K in Geelong.

1 Like

Like Power 95.5, same do with Bundaberg as Power 93.9.

1 Like

Nah, with Power FM having existed next door in Ballarat for so many years, Geelong getting a copy of Ballarat’s station would feel a bit retrograde, especially after having had a strong independent brand for so many years

1 Like

No way. Hitz is on of the best rating Station one they have and it’s name nicely messes with SCA hit network in the area. Change the name and SCA will pounce on the opportunity to use hit in Bundaberg, causing market confusion and most likely grabbing some listeners in the process.

The Power FM brand is also daggy and old where it is used. At the very least it needs a refresh.

4 Likes

95.5 The Cat wouldn’t be a bad choice and would put the 3CAT callsign to good use. Geelong is nothing without its pussy powered AFL team.

4 Likes