ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

What identified it as a relay rather than sharing the log?

The music was in synch.

1 Like

Radio host Anna Dare resigns from 7HOFM breakfast show

The Tasmanian radio host who made a shocking joke about the Dreamworld tragedy on air has resigned.

Anna Dare, who co-hosted the 7HOFM breakfast show with former My Kitchen Rules contestant Mick Newell, was offered the chance to return to the show but turned it down.

Graham Cairns is back from the US and as always, showing the 4BC newsreaders how to deliver their own script via his weekend morning work on River 949.

Scott Mayman filled in whilst he was away and did the same.

Quite ironic, that’s radio, disgraceful that MRN would let go of such great talent to name but two lost from their newsrooms.

1 Like

Where is Stuart Layt ? Formally of River then 4BC but hasn’t been reading news lately.

Yes, gone too. Working for news agency, AAP now.

Hadley’s mate the ex olympian the only older voice there now within the 4BC newsroom.

1 Like

Zinc 96 is doing a Summer 1,000 countdown

Classic Hits Zinc 96.1 is kicking off your Summer with the ultimate Summer playlist…as voted by you! Vote now for your favourite song and keep it on Zinc 96.1! We count down the winning songs, voted by you, from December 1st.

http://sunshine.radiozinc.com.au/win/64213-summer-1000-countdown

1 Like

Looking forward to a Gympie RA1 survey, stations not listed share will be high.

1 Like

Yes, would be interesting, sandwiched in between Sunshine Coast and Maryborough markets… I imagine a Gympie survey would also include Noosa, whereby I am guessing HOT91, SEA and MIX would be more popular than 4GY (which is in stereo on FM107.1 there) and Zinc96.

Drove within RDS coverage of Hot 91 this evening.

Except Hot 91.1 wasn’t displaying.

The RDS had defaulted to ‘RDS PS’.

This is an ongoing problem for the station, usually happens on Friday evening and not fixed until Monday morning.

It’s slack. Why don’t the engineers, the Camerons have many, work on a permanent solution?

You can bet if it happened in Geelong, John Sandles wouldn’t let it fail repeatedly.

Contrasts with the great work @radioengineer does with Mix/Sea Sunshine Coast.

1 Like

Something must have happened at Bald Knob as Mix/Sea had missing RDS yesterday afternoon

Hot 91’s RDS failing is not usually contingent on there being a problem elsewhere. It happened repeatedly for consecutive weekends earlier in the year.

1 Like

Another intance posted in March

1 Like

Hey guys,

Radar Hill lost power due to a storm… HOT/ZINC as well as MIX and SEA all link thru Radar.

We have batteries on our microwave gear which held us up for 6 hours… Grants have their 850mhz STL and optimods there so they run UPS which died at 1pm… this had HOT on ISDN and ZINC on backup tape for 3-4 hours… I sent the PD a courtesy text and it was fixed not to long after.

We are lucky, we have the direct 850mhz STL which doesnt have RDS on it which kept us going. we have ISDN as path 3… As yet we havent had to use it in anger.

I think the problem with HOT’s RDS is the battery in the encoder… always happens when Radar Hill goes down.

Thanks for the kind words thou… I care about my stations, how they sound and being onair probably more then the average engineer :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You certainly do and it shows. It’s what being on-call should be about.

Three paths, very impressive.

If anyone wonders where Radar Hill is, drive north on the freeway bypass of Nambour, as you cross the Bli Bli Road (main Nambour exit), look to your right, NE of the road is Radar Hill.

String and tin cans are path 4!

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation @radioengineer I always like hearing about the technical side of things. Just curious though why you run via Radar Hill if you can run direct? Does Radar Hill give you more bandwidth or a better/more reliable path to BK?

1 Like

Hmm maybe for the Noosa part of that area. But in Gympie itself the reception of outside stations eg Sunshine Coast is just horrible. I would say based on Gympie itself, Zinc would have one of the biggest percentages recorded in regional surveys so far. And Triple J might be very high too as the only younger station available. Sea, Mix and Hot 91 aren’t really an option, and 4GY…well no.
The Maryborough stations don’t get into Gympie at all.

2 Likes

Hot 91 RDS still not working this morning. I am guessing that the 97.9 relay could be unaffected? I can’t get RDS on it from Brisbane.

I’m getting this in Maroochydore, nothing coming up on 97.9

3 Likes