ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

What is that you image meant to be in their logo? Is it something Townsville specific?

A shame to see the Zinc brand dying away. I thought it was a strong and appropriate brand for regional QLD.

Besides didn’t launch as initially rock format?

It looks as though the image is meant to signify Castle Hill, which is a small mountain located right in the middle of the Townsville City area.

Yes it’s Castle Hill for sure. Right in the middle of the city.

Yes,Definitely Castle Hill.I should know after living there for 4 years in my youth,I still go up there to visit friends every 1-2 years

Can you see Ayr from Castle Hill? (wink, wink)

1 Like

I would have gone the other way and rebranded Chili as Power.
I do like the Power name.

I thought “Power 100” to be an odd choice for a new ID, given 99.9 is used by a Christian broadcaster up there. Some people might mistakenly tune to 99.9 to sample it and be turned off by the Christian messaging.

They really should add the “.7” to it.

Doing the rounds of the streams this afternoon and have noticed that Sea FM Devonport and Burnie aren’t playing Hamish and Andy, despite their websites saying that they should be.
All other listed Grant Stations are still taking Hamish and Andy though, including Chilli FM Launceston and Scottsdale.

Grant’s renovation of their HQ on the corner of Moolap and Moorabool streets in Geelong is well underway, a digital screen will be featured on the Moorabool side.

Very cool intro piece to launch the station, however very similar to the Star launch

Any word on the other Zinc stations changing?

As from yesterday, there’s now only 1 Zinc station left, which is on the Sunshine Coast, the original Zinc station when it first started back in February 2006. With that in mind, I think it would keep the Zinc branding.

A bit disappointing this morning to see Grant’s Star 106.3 FM here in Townsville lacking to provide vital information.

Around 9am this morning QLD Police Service issued an Amber alert in Townsville which said it was a matter of “extreme urgency”.

I got a notification on my phone nearly immediately from 9News Alerts and switched the radio on.

The alert was cancelled at approx. 9:55 and there still hadn’t been any mention on radio.

I’ve kept Star on for the morning and heard them finally air the original Alert in full, one hour after it was cancelled, at 11:00.

From “Hit Network” thread, re Sea/Star/Hot stations becoming Hit:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Hitz in Bundaberg will rebrand to Star to follow in the footsteps of its sister stations in Cairns, Townsville & Mackay.

I was wondering if that might be possibility too, but they haven’t registered the domain name star939.com.au
It would also be a bit usual to rebrand a top rating station to make way for your competitor to use that name - though I wouldn’t rule out SCA paying Grant Broadcasters for the name.
This would also create another issue for SCA with Star FM Wagga also being on 93.1 - the only main frequency double up in the hit network.

Was about to suggest hit 101.9 in its place, and then realised that Fox FM exists. Doh!

1 Like

Anna from 7HOFM breakfast has been taken off air by the station, following comments made on the breakfast show this morning. Audio via 7 News

Statement from Grant Broadcasters

7HOFM and its parent company, Grant Broadcasters, sincerely apologise for a comment made on air by an announcer this morning, in relation to this week’s Dreamworld tragedy.

The comment was unacceptable and the announcer was immediately taken off air.

The thoughts and prayers of all 7HOFM and Grant Broadcasters staff are with the families and friends of those who died in the tragedy.

The Mercury says Anna made the comment during the Secret Sound segment, after hearing the sound that listeners had to guess in order to win $140. The report says that after Anna was suspended, all references to her and the 7HOFM breakfast were removed from the station’s website. Grant Broadcasters CEO Grant Cameron says Mick Newell (former MKR contestant) will continue to present 7HOFM breakfast alone for the time being.

Star 106.3 and Power100 in Townsville have moved into their new studios, finally leaving leaving SCA’s blue block building.

Radio Today took a look at them last week: http://www.radiotoday.com.au/news/whats-new/9918-power100-star-106-3-s-new-digs.html

Studios are using Wheatstone consoles, the same as in their new Cairns studios.

1 Like

I saw the signs on the new building when I was driving through the city over the weekend, there was also a sign for another business that they’re sharing the building with, but I can’t remember what it was now.

Bendigo Bank

I noticed earlier tonight that Hitz in Bundaberg was relaying River 949 but with their own IDs. Now, however, they are running a separate program. Also their RDS is not operating.