ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

K-Rock doesn’t need to mean rock music, just music that ‘rocks’. Get with it old fogies, the first thing that needs ditching is the K-Mart logo.

It’s just a name. The Fox doesn’t literally mean anything anymore, but they’re still using it. Both names have heritage, and whilst that heritage works for you I say stick with it.

Perhaps in 1995. The Fox works only because it’s heritage. Branding a station The Fox or The Cat (especially as The Cat is way more lame than The Fox) is definitively ‘uncool’ for a station that would be targeting 18-35 year olds. Might work as an AFL-based station: ‘95.5 The Cat. Geelong’s home of football’

Is it a new slogan only or does the station actually sound different? Hasn’t it been a pop-based station for nearly 10 years now?

Yeah I agree, Power sounds so 90s. 80s even. Hitz Bundaberg was one of the first FM stations in regional Qld and as you say, SCA would immediately pounce and rebrand Sea to Hit 93.1, which would confuse everyone and be detrimental to Hitz position as No. 1 and their advantage as the “local” station.

3 Likes

A name is just a name as you say, unless it actually means something that is the opposite of what you’re selling. Using the word “rock” in the name of a pop station is just naff.

3 Likes

Nah, I think ‘music that rocks’ actually still indicates a rock style of music - even to the young folks.
I don’t think the young folk would say Taylor Swift “rocks” in any way.
I do agree that K Mart logo has to go though! It’s just awful isn’t it - worst in Australia perhaps?
Even the Bay FM one is pretty bad too. Wonder who on earth did those, hope they didn’t actually pay $ for those.

3 Likes

The CAT would be a pussy of a station, lots of jokes to follow from it surely.

1 Like

The liner I would use would be 95.5 The Cat- the station for pussies. This would be a truer and definitely less ironical moniker than the heritage brand.

Sarcasm aside, there are actually plenty of stations in the USA with ‘The Cat’ or ‘The Kat’ branding.

1 Like

I’d rather they make the station’s sound fit the brand, rather than renaming.

2 Likes

Andy Sutherland & Ben Toyne, who were dubbed as “Best Mate” contestants on the 2016 season of The Block, will present weekend breakfast on K Rock in Geelong, starting from Saturday 18th November at 8-10am.

More: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/best-mates-block-join-k-rock

Weird that they’d run a weekend breakfast show on Grant’s Geelong stations.

Hobart’s 7HOFM breaches political advertisement rules

Tasmanian commercial radio station 7HOFM has breached rules about the broadcast of political matter in the Broadcasting Services Act 1992 (the BSA).

These rules require all political advertisements to include an announcement immediately following the advertisement of ‘required particulars’, including the name of the political party responsible for the advertisement.

An Australian Communications and Media Authority investigation found that the broadcast of three advertisements for Tasmanian Labor candidate Jen Butler on 13 September 2017 breached these rules.

Ms Butler is contesting the seat of Lyons in the next Tasmanian state election. The advertisements broadcast were followed by the announcement: ‘Written, spoken and authorised by Jen Butler, 36 William St, Perth’.

The ACMA found the tags did not comply with the rules as they did not make clear the advertisements were authorised by a political party and did not supply the address of that party’s principal office in Tasmania.

‘Audiences have a right to know who is involved in preparing and placing political advertisements,’ said ACMA Chair, Nerida O’Loughlin.

‘Political parties need to clearly identify themselves when they are responsible for advertisements being put to air.
‘The level of political advertising is likely to increase in the lead-up to the next Tasmanian state election. This is a timely reminder to broadcasting licensees to promote the need for transparency in political communication to their advertisers.’

In response to the ACMA’s findings, 7HOFM removed the incorrectly tagged advertisements from its broadcast schedule. The ACMA and 7HOFM have also agreed on actions to avoid further breaches, including the broadcaster revising its procedures for checking political advertisements, especially in cases where they are tagged by the person authorising them.

A copy of the investigation report is available on the online version of this release.

7HO clearly breached the legislation, but that is a lame line from the new ACMA head as is it obvious who prepared and placed that ad - Jen Butler did.

Also obvious that you didn’t read the article fully.

The ads did say they were authorised by Jen Butler, however they did not say that they were alligned with a party.

I did.

Licencee is responsible for what goes to air.

Shall Hot Country go to air in Ballarat on 96.7 FM as there’s no Country Music Station there and Listeners can’t pick up the 89.3 Signal from Geelong???

The Gladstone 4CC Studios have now been officially opened.

2 Likes

Are these the studios discussed here and elsewhere for ‘interesting’ cabling style?

Yes… Setting a new standard in cabling :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yes they are.

I look forward to having a look for myself next time I am in Gladstone