ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

I don’t think the relay on 97.9 has even been switched on? I could be wrong.

1 Like

I thought that 97.9 Hot91 for Noosa was switched on years ago - it was on there back in the mid 00s.

1 Like

It’s on air but no RDS

2 Likes

Gympie is another area where radio is poor. Last time I was there, you had Zinc playing Classic Hits, 4GY playing Classic Hits and talkback. The only younger station I could pick up was Triple J. I thought they had a repeater for Hot 91 but I could not find it. 10KM’s north of Gympie I could pick up Rebel FM and The Breeze which both are awesome stations.

1 Like

Which Rebel/Breeze stations were you getting?

Wide Bay? (Childers / Gin Gin).

1 Like

I think The Rebel was from the Wide Bay mate. The Breeze was pretty patchy, so I don’t think it was from the Wide Bay.

3 Likes

The relays that are on air in Noosa are Hot 91.1 on 97.9, Zinc on 100.5 and 4GY on 107.1 as well as the community station on 101.3. 97.9 and 100.5 have RDS but not alternative frequency. 97.9 isn’t coming in strong enough in Brisbane at the moment to decode the RDS though.

So still no Sea/Mix on 102.5 & 103.3?

1 Like

No

2 Likes

@NRN11 Our direct path from the studio to Bald Knob is not line of sight… 7 Ghz is 100% reliant on this, hence why we go via Radar.

the 850mhz Direct link can be a bit noisy sometimes but its on there for backup so a bit of noise isn’t that bad when ISDN charges are around 50c per min. per station.

I used to work at Hot91 and the tewantin translator is feed offair from 91.1 thats why its the RDS is the same.
Its a waste of space if you ask me… I did some signal surveys and the signal in noosa is no better then the signal from bald knob.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, thought as much. I always found it strange that they approved repeaters for Noosa. As you say even behind the hill down in Noosa Junction/Hastings St I can still pick up all the Bald Knob stations on my iPod Nano radio.

I find the ABC stations at Black Mountain a waste too. Surely they can adjust the power and radiation pattern to give all people between Curra and Caloundra a full suit of ABC stations with 1 freq for each service?

But thats a conversation for another topic :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah Breeze Wide Bay isn’t on air so maybe from Chinchilla. The Rebel from Wide Bay can easily be picked up from just north of Gympie.

1 Like

How does the 850mhz work if not line of sight? Is that where the noise comes into it?

The lower frequency means the signal does bend a little more. It would have a still be close to line of sight though.
The analogue signal is also more resistant to any interference that may occur as opposed to the digital signal of the 7GHz microwave.

1 Like

RDS back working on Hot91, also working on 97.9.

1 Like

So the tech returned to work on the first non public holiday day this week?

I take it they’re not paying their engineer at Maroochydore on call costs?

Probably not for something like RDS which many still consider to be insignificant.

1 Like

River 94.9 will be doing a Way Back 1000 Countdown beginning January 1st.

In 2016, River949’s Way Back Whens-day was a huge hit with our listeners. So much so, that we’re putting all of our listeners favourite songs from the 70s, 80s and 90s into one huge countdown! Take a step back in time and join us on this musical journey as we celebrate the start of 2017!

*Countdown will begin New Year’s Day and run through to approx. Friday January 13 (Monday - Friday’s between the hours of 6am and 3pm).

1 Like

River 949 are having technical problems. Been off air since before midday. Complete static followed by a faint program, then static interspersed with a clicking sound.

Wouldn’t you love to be the tech to fix this on new years day?

2 Likes

Don’t know exactly what caused it, but the 4CA 954AM translator mast (Aloomba), has bent over/snapped in half.

https://www.facebook.com/4caam/posts/1361862567178880

3 Likes