Gold Coast - Survey 2, 2017

http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/GfK_SummaryReport_Gold-Coast-Survey-2-2017.pdf

Hot Tomato maintains its #1 position with a 17.1% share, followed by Sea FM at 13.4%, whilst Gold FM fell to 10.9%.

One notable point in this ratings survey is that Hot Tomato beats Gold in the 55-64s!! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

SeaFM should be happy that they have cemented in a new breakfast show after many years of Paul Gale + Co-Hosts, especially as he is now heard on Hot Tomato.

It will be interesting to see who Gold use for drive going forward with next years national networked show, given they are currently using Triple M Brisbane with Luke Bradnam (formerly Hot Tomato).

Sydney may have the Opera House, Harbour Bridge and Bondi but The Gold Coast has Hot Tomato. Could we trade Nova, WSFM, Triple M and 2DayFM for 102.9?

ARN, SCA and NE need a damn good shake up in Sydney. As does Macquarie Radio. Send us help. Someone. Anyone. Please.

1 Like

I think you mean 102.9 :slight_smile:

Itā€™s pretty simple radio, but its done by experienced presenters. Not to mention the station is owned by the Torv siblings (including Rupert Murdochā€™s ex wife Anna) so there is many years of industry knowledge there.

Random useless fact Tomato is actually derived from their surnames TOrv, MAnn & TOrv.

2 Likes

And the mother of Lachlan Murdoch. Given the family connection Iā€™m surprised Hot Tomato isnā€™t more integrated into the Nova network.

SEAā€™s breakfast show appeared to many as having bedded in well when Moyra Major was replaced (not wanted by SEA when due to return from maternity leave) with Charli Robinson but that pairing faltered after a couple of years.

Within the market, SEA are spending the most on marketing, outstripping Gold and Hot Tomato by a long way.

Would the show support itself without the marketing support?

1 Like

Lowest share on record for Gold FM/KROQ.

On a bright note - finally some success for Talking Lifestyle, they doubled their share! :laughing:

2 Likes

I think you will find that Anna Mann doesnā€™t spend a lot of time in Australia, preferring her residence in Florida. :smiley:

1 Like

Maybe Nova should broadcast it on DAB in the capitals.

And here is the news - Hot Tomato is the No.1 station for 10 - 17 year olds and 55 - 64 year olds. What an amazing accomplishment.

2 Likes

I wonder how much of an audience Rebel and Breeze command on the Cold Ghost; thereā€™s no provision for ā€œOtherā€ in this survey. They do include most of the (technically fortuitous) Brisbane wide stations though. Though I wouldnā€™t live there for quids, itā€™s still the best radio market in Australia in my estimation.

1 Like

The other makes up 27.7% which is pretty large considering the large number of stations in the survey. On the weekend it is 32%. The morning and afternoon sessions are 29.6 and 29.7% other; the lowest other is breakfast at 21.7%.

1 Like

It shows how breakfast should local in each market.

1 Like

Yes the ā€œotherā€ figure is absolutely huge. Breeze, Rebel, Metro and 94.1 would all figure there.

In the +65 age group the other figure is 49.9% 55-65 it is 35.5%.

2 Likes

Is that where Radio97 would sit?

1 Like

I just wish we had a tomatoe in Melbourne. Itā€™s what I keep saying. We need a station that is always local and live and plays variety!!! People get sick of the same narrow playlists all the time

2 Likes

Remember that long time Gold FM breakfast personality (when it was #1), Richard Fowler now hosts breakfast on 94.1 which play quite a lot of the music Gold FM used to play (as recent as last year).

So if Gold has shifted younger and alienated a lot of its audience, the audience now has an alternative.

94.1 are on a TCBL, unsure what the history is, perhaps their predecessor community group, Radio Hope Island (jazz format) were never awarded a permanent licence or the substantial change in focus required a new application.

For a station which has no marketing, they are being heard in more workplaces where once Gold was the only station youā€™d hear. Hot Tomatoā€™s workplace listening rise has also been gradual.

Yew indeed. 94.1 are also capitalising on 4GG even though they arenā€™t related. Theyā€™ve run a few promotions based on 4GG history.

1 Like

ā€˜Bastard childā€™ however, quite a few 4GG staff now at 94.1 or have over the years.

1 Like