Gogglebox Australia

If the NRL and the AFL grand finals are covered on this week’s episode, how will the Goggleboxers review them? I really hope they make their predictions, then sit down and watch the live broadcast (and wait for their reactions to the umpiring decisions, scoring and result) rather than recorded highlights.

They were seen watching the grand finals live last year, so why would it be any different?

I remember they watched the highlights of AFL Grand Final last year, because it had the Fox Footy watermark rather than the Seven watermark.

Ditto this year.

^ Would that mean some Goggleboxers might have watched the live broadcast (or listened to the radio call) in the afternoon and found out the result beforehand?

They watch the AFL grand final but there was no mention of the NRL gf. Not sure if they were watching live.
Also featured is the AFL Footy Show, in particular Bec Maddern, the US Presidential debate, Jill Meagher special Conviction, Just Desserts finale and Survivor.

Only 2 episodes to go.

3 Likes

I’m not complaining by any means, but the show is more partial to the AFL than the NRL isn’t it? Possibly because there’s more Melbourne-based households than Sydney ones, but I’ve seen Gogglebox review The AFL Footy Show a few times before while the NRL version (which is probably even dodgier, perfect Gogglebox grilling fodder!) has never been featured.

Also we’ll probably we see some new families for Gogglebox 2017? There’s a gap opening up soon I think, since I remember reading on Angie & Yvie’s Twitter feed last week that they’re moving to the UK soon…or something like that.

1 Like

Angie is moving to the UK later in the year but will be back if there is another series according to their Twitter account.

They only shoot for 8 weeks twice a year so easy to pop back and do the show.

2 Likes

I agree… and last year they only showed the AFL Grand Final and nothing of the NRL Grand Final as well.

1 Like

It seems to me like they are mostly Melbourne participants, as they seemed to know all about Jimmy Bartel’s beard, the Bulldogs drought and other AFL stuff that Sydneysiders wouldn’t have a clue about.

2 Likes

I don’t follow sport at all. Don’t watch any code of football and only keep an eye on NRL scores to feign an interest when people talk about it at work. I’m still aware of Bartels and the Bulldogs through what is mentioned in Sydney media- nightly TV sports reports and cursory glance of newspaper headlines.

6 Likes

More Melbourne centric comments regarding the Jill Meagher story… like

“I used to walk down that laneway”, “this story was really big in Melbourne”.

It would be nice to see items that aren’t so city specific.

1 Like

I’m sure there are plenty that are not.

Jill Meagher’s murder was hardly ‘city specific’. It was covered thoroughly on news bulletins around the nation for weeks.

The Goggleboxers references to ‘walking down that street’ etc highlighted the fact that it was a brazen attack in a relative busy area.

7 Likes

But having seen both the AFL (and no NRL) items with those Melbourne specific comments about Jill Meagher.

And that they did the same thing last year about the Grand Finals too.

Also the opening graphics of Googlebox depicting “suburbia” looks like the eastern suburbs of Melbourne looking out towards the Dandenongs.

I think I have gone off Gogglebox a bit now that it appears it’s all filmed in Melbourne. I would like to think that other states are represented too.

As far as I know The Jacksons are from Penrith, Angie and Yvie and the Delpechitra’s live in Sydney’s west. Mick & Di who are away at the moment are also from Sydney.

The Dalton family I think are also from Sydney.

1 Like

I thought the Daltons lived in one of the swankier suburbs of Melbourne?

Anyway, I thought it was fairly obvious who the Sydneysiders were during the AFL segment on this weeks show. The Jacksons and the Delpechitras just weren’t into it. Grant’s glazed look during the Brownlow bit was priceless.

[quote=“NewsWeary, post:278, topic:461”]
I thought the Daltons lived in one of the swankier suburbs of Melbourne?
[/quote]The Dalton Family are from Toorak in Melbourne.

Ex-Goggleboxers The Kidd family were from The Blue Mountains.

I stand corrected then I was sure they were from Sydney. :disappointed: