Gogglebox Australia

Matty, Sarah Marie and Jad appeared at the third and final 2020 Foxtel Media Showcase event yesterday.

It’s a shame that the season finale is this week, it will have been great to hear what the Goggleboxers say about the finales of The Block, The Bachelorette, SAS and Junior MasterChef. If there are two seasons next year, the second one needs to finish at the last week of November to coincide with the end of official ratings.

When do you think they will start rolling out the celeb one?

After the less than impressive ratings for Celebrity Gogglebox US, hopefully never.

1 Like

With a night AFL Grand Final, the coverage on Gogglebox looked much more authentic this year with the 'boxers appearing to watch the match live. The NRL final is also featured.

2 Likes

Valid point there. Why didn’t the Goggleboxers review the British dramas which currently air on ABC on Saturday nights, for example?
Next year the producers need to arrange a bigger variety of shows to be included. Maybe a couple of new dramas from Amazon Prime or Acorn TV?

Because they’re boring?

It’s not really in the interests of Foxtel and 10 to do that.

1 Like

They watched a lot of Netflix stuff this week. Even Borat! I kinda didn’t want to watch that part cause I haven’t even seen it yet.

Borat is on Amazon.

I think they are showing the right amount from streaming services. It’s impossible to feature every program from every network, channel, service.

But I will agree with those that have previously mentioned that the same reality shows don’t need to be covered two or three times per season.

5 Likes

I would rather shorter seasons of this with less waiting time. Whether it was 4 seasons of 6 or 3 seasons of 8. I do find I tune into it for the first few weeks but tune out when they start reviewing the same shows.

Why can’t they just go all year?!? The networks always have new content and they could just add more families in so that some could get weeks off or not be in every episode.

Or how about some nostalgia only eps where they watch 80’s sitcoms or 90’s dramas like Melrose and BH90210 or evening specials around Christmas, valentines or halloween where they rate themed shows/movies

I’d also like to see a gogglebox ep when they watch gogglebox

3 Likes

I agree, having it on every week would completely justify and allow for families to take episodes off and also more of an excuse to add new households and will also allow the families to watch as many shows as they can across the entire year.

1 Like

It works best in small doses. If it was on all year, it would lose its novelty and appeal. I think its current length is the best.

3 Likes

I do think the second season of the year needs to start late, from late September or early October, so it finishes on the last week of November.

And what happens in the earlier months?

First season of the year starts in February as normal. That’s assuming that Foxtel will only have 8-10 episodes for each season.

I think the 15 episodes per season that the UK version currently does is perfect.

I suspect that Gogglebox reviews of those programs would generate pretty similar reactions to those we saw when Doctor Who was reviewed back in 2015. You could imagine Mick & Di lapping up the ABC’s Saturday night British dramas, but the others…:yawning_face:!

Yeah, I don’t think anyone’s disputing that.

I’d love to see some a Christmas/New Year special of Gogglebox so coverage of the Carols and fireworks can be teared apart, however casting availability is usually an issue at that time of year.

Of course, it’d also be rather interesting to see how the households would react to Election Night coverage. Hopefully one day the planets will align and we see an Australian federal election day/night coincide with Gogglebox’s time on-air!

…should be saved for the final ever episode of the program, I think.

Even though “ratings season” programming is essentially over by mid-November these days? Heck, in recent years we’ve started to see the commercial networks slide into Summer mode after the football grand finals!

Besides, I’d probably say the last two years in particular have brought us some brilliant Gogglebox reviews during August (Love Me As I Am, Old People’s Home for 4 Year Olds, the Sophie Delezio ep of Anh’s Brush With Fame are just three standouts that come to mind) which otherwise may not have happened if Gogglebox was off-air at the time because while good shows, they weren’t quite on the same level as something like Love On The Spectrum which was unique enough for the producers to get the households reviewing some 4-5 months after the series originally aired on the ABC.

Is it possible to add another short season of 6-8 episodes during May-July?