George Pell Saga - Coverage Discussion

Seven have formalised their coverage and started a Morning News bulletin with Ann Sanders.

Now for the inevitable replays …

2 Likes

What? You watched all of them? Simultaneoisly?

I didn’t watch any actually. I was referring to all the caps and extra info posted here on MS.

As in it’s great to see.

1 Like

Should’ve just had an extended news break instead of rolling coverage

The very few viewers that they had to begin with.

1 Like

Hey guys, can I get some help please… did the networks carry the Pell verdict live everywhere? From what I think I’ve seen Seven were live, even into Perth whereas Nine were on delay? I know all networks were live into QLD.

Also, I didn’t see the ABC’s coverage, was it any good?

ABC coverage was comprehensive though with perhaps less high profile journalists.

From Brisbane, it appeared as a simulcast on ABC1 and ABC24 up until 11 am AEDT then continued on ABC24 until midday AEDT when the usual midday news bulletin ran. Early coverage included studio anchor, 2 reporters and a studio expert (something not seen on commercials). While there was reaction from the crowd outside, ABC reporters weren’t seen interviewing anyone until late in the coverage, though because there was piggy backing on interviews conducted by others nothing was missed. The midday news coverage went for 18 minutes.

Midday

2 Likes

Cheers!

My take on the commercial TV Networks coverage of the Pell sentencing.

2 Likes

It was certainly difficult to stomach some of the graphic details this morning.

3 Likes

Screen capture by TV Blackbox at TV Blackbox.

The transcript states: “In addition to not having any prior convictions”. But the closed caption writers at Seven and Ten both got it wrong.

1 Like

No matter how graphic the details, I don’t support the notion of news bulletins censoring details (or images for that matter of fact).
This actually happened.

Personally, I don’t think Extra should have stopped their coverage because of the circumstances disclosed.

2 Likes

The documentary premieres this Saturday afternoon with multiple repeats in the following five days.

1 Like

Ray Hadley, Deborah Knight, Chris Smith, Lara Vella, Christine Ahern, and various Nine, Fairfax, News, Macquarie and Mamamia employees and companies are due to face court in Melbourne on 15 April 2019 accused of breaking a court order suppressing details of the George Pell court cases. All face possible jail time if convicted.

3 Likes

Geez there are some big names on that list.

1 Like

Probably won’t happen, but wouldn’t it be interesting if high profile names on that list were sentenced to jail time. It would definitely shake up the media industry.

The last thing Today would need is a host being sentenced :joy:

3 Likes

It may well happen as the Victoria DPP Kerri Judd is pushing for jail time.

2 Likes