General TV History

A collection of rare footage of HSV7 from 1969-1970. Youtube: Mike Squier.

Nine Melbourne using 3 different voiceovers for Carolyn Randoe (and Peter Hitchener) in just the month of January 2008…

3 Likes

I guess GTV preferred Ken Sparkes over Tim Elliott.

From memory QTQ was similar (only having the Tim Elliott VOs in use for a short time after the relaunch, before reverting to Ken Sparkes), but TCN here stuck with the Tim Elliott VOs until shortly after his death in 2011 when they were replaced by those from Peter Harvey.

3 Likes

God that head space!

I remembered Ken Sparkes doing the voiceover for National Nine News Melbourne. I still preferred Ken Sparkes voiceover over Tim Elliott as his voice is more synonymous. Sadly, Ken Sparkes’s death has shocked Nine. It wasnt the same without Ken Sparkes.

4 Likes

“This is National Nine News with Brian Naylor.”

His V/O was so authoritative. Also note the standing presentation for Jo Hall, does anyone know if this started when the graphics relaunched in early 2007?

3 Likes

Netflix launched in Australia and New Zealand on this day in 2015 to the appreciation of long suffering Aussie and Kiwi viewers. Only four years? Feels like I’ve been using the service significantly longer than that.

7 Likes

Yeah same!
It’s changed my viewing habits, I even have Stan these days.

1 Like

I signed up to Netflix US in 2013, around the time season 4 of Arrested Development was about to release. Also used Hulu back when it was free.

1 Like

I would assume it started in early 2007, but it seemed only weekend presenters stood up (never saw Peter Hitchener do so).

1 Like

In those four years, my viewing habits have changed greaaatly. The only time I watch television is for the news (and sport, barely).

An old shot of Nine News Sydney seen on “Australian Crime Stories” tonight.

5 Likes

Some Channel Nine Movie Openers:
27/10/2001:

3/11/2001 clip includes Lineup/Sponsor Billboard

April or May 2002:
2 Likes

Another Herald Sun “New on Ten” promo DVD, this time from 2007.
s-l500

(image goes to the eBay seller, not me)

1 Like

Tomorrow (March 26) is a significant day in the history of digital television in Australia. Anyone want to guess why? :wink:

2 Likes

Network Ten launched One HD, as a 24-hour sports channel on Thursday 26 March 2009.

3 Likes

First digital multichannel launched by a commercial FTA station. One HD began life as a sports channel before rebranding to an entertainment channel in 2011 and now 10 Bold from October last year.

1 Like

Yep, that’s correct. I asked because I wasn’t sure if anyone else on these forums still remembered the milestone 10 years on! :slight_smile:

Of course One HD was the first of five digital multichannels to launch in 2009, with SBS TWO (June 1, replacing SBS World News Channel & now SBS VICELAND), GO! (August 9, now 9Go!), 7TWO (November 1, also the only which hasn’t had a name change of these five) and ABC3 (December 4, now ABC ME) also starting that year.

3 Likes

From today 10 years ago on 10HD

9 Likes