General News Events - Coverage Discussion

Was third or fourth on ABC News Tas tonight which I was surprised at. It was the opening headline, then mentioned at the beginning with something along the lines of “We’ll have more of the tragedy at Dreamworld later, but first…” and then a story about the possible collapse of Forestry Tasmania, a big story but not as big as this. I thought it might have been later to also have a live cross but they didn’t, they just had the national story that Victoria had (on Foxtel here we get both Tas and Vic ABC)

They’d be all of five metres away from each other. Why even bother?

1 Like

Exactly - they could have shook hands.

1 News Tonight here in NZ running Nine’s coverage of the Dreamworld catastrophe.

This will go down as an event that you know where you were when it broke, a lot of Aussies have memories on this ride including myself and my kids. Let’s hope the magic of Dreamworld doesn’t blow out

I already don’t remember where I was…

5 Likes

A terrible story? Yes.

A news event we’ll still remember where we were when it first broke in 20 years time from now? Hmm, I’m not so sure about that.

I think it might be a major PR disaster for Dreamworld’s parent company Ardent Leisure (as you’d probably expect, their share price has gone South since the incident), especially with some of the stuff that’s being said in the media and elsewhere online about safety standards at the park.

2 Likes

Well it kinda already is.

1 Like

The coverage of this event has been appalling from most outlets.

All the guessing, speculations, unfactual information, failure to research even the basics behind the ride: for example, claiming the log ride and Rapids ride share the same conveyor that caused this incident, and a similar incident earlier in the year, both are completely separate rides. Also one newspaper outlet had a diagram of ‘how it happened,’ but the arrows in their diagram were pointing in the opposite direction to which the ride operates.

Journalistic integrity leaves a lot to be desired these days, it’s sadly all about being FIRST, instead of making sure all the information is factually correct.

7 Likes

I mean it is tragic and does hit home, but it’s hardly in the same league as 9/11 or the Kennedy assassination.

3 Likes

You talking about the Daily Mail, right? They switched the arrows a few hours after they first published that diagram.

Magnitude 7.4 earthquake has struck off the South Island of New Zealand near Christchurch. Christchurch suffered a 6.3 earthquake nearly 6 years ago,

Tsunami warning has been issued.

The tsunami threat is for the east coast of all New Zealand (including Christchurch, Wellington and the Chatham islands)

1 Like

Revised to 7.8

Some good overnight coverage from the New Zealand media.

Live pages:

Civil Defence Twitter - https://twitter.com/NZcivildefence

Tsunami warning sirens have been activated across much of New Zealand.

Here’s a video of the siren in the Christchurch suburb of Redcliffs.

Wellington Airport has confirmed it is open for morning flights after a runway inspection.

1 Like

Air New Zealand has published its cancellation policy on it website for people who’d planned to fly to New Zealand with the airline this week.

The policy covers dates through until Monday, November 21.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travel-alerts

1 Like

TVNZ One News being streamed live now - https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/live-updates-casualties-in-kaikoura-tsunami-threat-all-nz-coast-sparked-massive-midnight-quake.html?autoPlay=5208204785001

Person confirmed dead in Kaikoura with another believed dead in Mt Lyford.

Tsunami warning downgraded.

BBC World News that was shown on ABC24 headlined the earthquake and spoke to two residents by Skype and telephone.

1 Like