Friday 24 March 2023

Scott free to air TV is dying. It’s not just 10…. Numbers across the board are woeful for all networks. 10 is just the first network to feel it the most. Barely anyone under the age of 30 watches television in the traditional way that you tune in.

Not one single program revived over the 700k mark.

Yes, at 6pm. ABC News 24 has rolling news covered. If I wanted News at 9pm, I’d watch 7 or 9 News on Catch up.

Had last night’s AFL game not involved the Lions (or Suns), the NRL game in Brissy would have nudged 300k… that’s almost Origin like figures.

1 Like

I recall Gold Coast Comm Games doing regular 300k in Brisbane for sessions, as well as Seven News, OC did over 600k IIRC.

Today’s live Crows AFL game in Adelaide and Seven News Adelaide with that lead-in will be interesring, just for comparisons.
Showdown next week and Perth derby mustn’t be far away either, pretty sure they have a (with current aedt zone in place) lead-in to their news on a Sunday coming up soon too.

1 Like

Then why do so many people watch the late night News on Nine?

Why dont they too just watch the catchup news from 6 o’clock?

It is a really good point you make.

And that is exactly why it is stupid for Ten to keep targetting the under 30s.

But they don’t. They have said that they target older demographics these days. You’ve been told this a number of times but you choose to ignore it because it doesn’t suit your rhetoric.

2 Likes

Then if they are targetting the older demographics, it is clearly not working is it?

We need to move on from this debate but I will finish by saying that Ten has to do something radical to be competitive again because when you are rating 5%, it ain’t that far from being zero.

Because the late news is essentially catch-up from 6pm anyway. You keep bringing up the “rolling news coverage”, but as I have previously discussed, not all news is constantly updating. Politics is done for the day, the courts are done for the day, most other stories have run their course by the end of the day. Unless it’s breaking, its essentially regurgitated from earlier bulletins.

And yet their shows consistently do well on catch-up, which would largely be young people.

And of course, there is huge audience that is not at home in time for 6pm news that do not watch it on catch up.

Of course you can always update a story. What do you think they do on radio news?

Lets finish it now but the bottom line is that if Ten ran a bulletin at 9pm, it would do at least as well as the 5pm one which is usually in the Top 20.

It’s a bit difficult when a constant member keeps bringing it up every day.

3 Likes

Because Ten’s performance is piss poor on most days

:man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:…. Seriously mate? Move on

1 Like

Everyone in the industry is concerned because they dont want Ten to have to cancel their Christmas party again this year

A Friday night’s topic page has become popular all of the sudden - thanks to it becoming a mock schedule for 10 and their rolling news coverage. lol

10 did something radical last night - by airing an International Soccer match. Against Seven’s AFL and Nine’s NRL - something that hasn’t happened in years. So 10 tries something different (unsuccessfully) and we still gets bombarded with someone saying that the station has to to do something different. Um, hello? They did. It failed. At least they tried something.

And News wont work on a Friday night for 10 either, hence why Seven and Nine dont air their versions of Friday nights either.

3 Likes

If they aired it on Saturday night, it would win the timeslot.

And yes, good on Ten for showing the soccer. They should stick with it and watch it grow.

Clearly you weren’t around in 2021/22.

1 Like

Ten could definitely carve a niche in the market with soccer. It is a great idea. They just need to have their games on when there is no NRL or AFL.

For example, “Wednesday Night Soccer” on Ten would work because there are many people who think too much sport is barely enough.

Scott. It was attempted during the summer of 21/22. It failed on Saturday nights against movies on Seven and Nine.

2 Likes

Yes but there is AFL and NRL that dominate on a Saturday night.

Make Wedensday the night for soccer and give Ten the exclusive rights,

I’ve gotta go, I want to cheer on the Labor victory in NSW