Fox Sports

Surprised that the America’s Cup was not in HD, considering how high-tech the coverage is in all other respects.

It’s certainly annoying having ads in the middle of the fairly short races. The host doesn’t go to a break but Fox Sports does. I’m paying them not to do that. They don’t have breaks in ball sports or F1.

How strange. Live overnight it was SD, but the replay on now is spectacular HD.

Mediaweek reports Fox Sports has lost the broadcast rights to US Open tennis tournament to ESPN.

Fox Sports will show the three-game basketball series between the Chinese national team and an NBL All-Australian Team early next month. The tour starts in Beijing on July 5, followed by matches in Jilin (northeast China) on July 7 and Dongguan (southern China) on July 9.

I assume that’s from next year.

As far as I’ve noticed, ESPN here just takes feeds from elsewhere and don’t have any local studio or on-air staff. Like Seven, Fox Sports has always been too Aussie-heavy in its coverage, preferring to show no-name Aussies like Matthew Ebden or James Duckworth, who are never going to win more than a couple of matches, to much bigger matches on other courts. It’ll be interesting to see if ESPN continues that or just takes the American feed (so instead of Aussies we’ll be watching American players all the time). I just want to see the best matches with the biggest names.

^ No, ESPN’s new deal with US Open starts from this year’s tournament (it was discussed on ESPN and SBS Sport threads yesterday - SBS will simulcast the finals with ESPN). I agree with your concern on ESPN’s coverage.

Okay, that’s very surprising go me. I thought broadcast rights for such events would be locked in far in advance of the event (at least a year), not be up for grabs just a couple of months out. How can networks, particularly sports-only ones, vying for the rights not know what sports they’ll be screening for two whole weeks only a few months away?

ESPN have at times during their Masters 1000 coverage have shown Aussies (either Kyrgios or Tomic) playing not on the main stadium/world feed and having some random commentator ( I remember one of the guys who did ESPN FC calling a few of these) but that isn’t often, the fact the article mentions Stephanie Brantz means they may still do this but I guess we won’t find out till the coverage. I rather watch the Aussies in the first week (Tomic excluded) but that’s just me.

I wonder how much coverage the Lions tour is getting on FOX? like with the Wallabies game at 3pm and the lions game at 5:30.

###ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup on Fox Sports

FOX SPORTS’ TV and Digital platforms the only place to see all 31 games LIVE in prime-time
All Australian games, plus Semi Finals and Finals LIVE on FOX SPORTS
All non-broadcast games available EXCLUSIVELY LIVE via LIVE stream at foxsports.com.au and the FOX SPORTS App

The world’s best female cricketers descend on England and Wales from Saturday (June 24), to contest the ICC Women’s World Cup, and FOX SPORTS’ platforms will be the only place to see every ball in the series LIVE.
FOX SPORTS’ comprehensive coverage includes 14 games broadcast LIVE on TV, including Australia’s pool matches, the Semi Finals and Final, plus all non-broadcast games available EXCLUSIVELY LIVE via LIVE stream on foxsports.com.au and the FOX SPORTS App.
FOX SPORTS’ website will also include a dedicated ICC Women’s World Cup landing page, with the latest and breaking news, plus LIVE scores for all Australian games and the Finals.
It all kicks off on FOX SPORTS 505 in prime-time from 7.00pm EST on Saturday, with a massive opening clash between hosts, England, and India.
Reigning World Champions, Australia, launch their title defence on July 2, in a massive trans-Tasman clash against New Zealand, before squaring off with Pakistan (July 5), England (July 9), India (July 12) and South Africa (July 15) in the pool stage.
FOX SPORTS is exclusively available on Foxtel.

FOX SPORTS BROADCAST SCHEDULE:
Sat 24 Jun: India v England, LIVE at 7.00pm on FOX SPORTS 505
Wed 28 Jun: South Africa v New Zealand, LIVE at 7.00pm on FOX SPORTS 505
Sun 2 Jul: Australia v New Zealand, LIVE at 7.00pm on FOX SPORTS 505
Sun 2 Jul: India v Pakistan, LIVE at 7.00pm on FOX SPORTS 507
Wed 5 Jul: Sri Lanka v India, LIVE at 7.00pm on FOX SPORTS 503
Sun 9 Jul: England v Australia, LIVE at 7.00pm on FOX SPORTS 505
Wed 12 Jul: Australia v India, LIVE at 7.00pm on FOX SPORTS 503
Sat 15 Jul: Australia v South Africa, LIVE at 10.30pm on FOX SPORTS 503*
Tue 18 Jul: Semi Final 1, LIVE at 7.00pm on FOX SPORTS 506
Thu 20 Jul: Semi Final 2, LIVE at 7.00pm on FOX SPORTS 505
Sun 23 Jul: Final, LIVE at 7.00pm on FOX SPORTS 503
Plus all 31 games available via LIVE stream on foxsports.com.au and the FOX SPORTS App.

*Joined in progress
**Times listed as AEST

The full Women’s World Cup fixture can be found here

I think Fox Sports has double standards when it comes to cricket coverage. The recent Champions Trophy was shown on a dedicated channel (Channel 507) with every match broadcast in full. The Women’s World Cup coverage will mostly be shown online, with 14 matches also broadcast across five TV channels. Even worse, the Southern Stars’ group match against South Africa will not be shown in full due to live coverage of Super Rugby final round, NRL, AFL (two channels) and F1 qualifying at the same time. Why can’t Channel 507 be used again as the main outlet for the tournament, with simultaneous matches shown on other channels during the week (given there are not much live sport on workdays apart from Wimbledon)?

1 Like

Do they really need to have AFL on two channels and F1? Maybe drop the other AFL game or F1 then your all set.

There are two night AFL matches each Saturday during the Women’s World Cup, one on channel 503 and the other on Fox Footy (channel 504). The broadcast agreement requires both matches to be shown live.

Even if there was not a requirement, the AFL matches would do betetr, ratings wise.

Maybe they could drop the F1 qualifying.

It’s all over the place. There’s also the West Indies v India series starting on Friday which is nowhere to be seen on the Fox Sports guide.

nope. they have adversited they would show every F1 session live. thats the main reason i have foxtel. i’d raise holy hell if they didnt show it live

1 Like

There would be anarchy from Australian F1 fans (especially me) if Qualifying wasn’t shown live.
Maybe they can show it on FS500.

2 Likes

its only qualifying. To me the race is more important above all.

Qualifying essentially is the race in F1 most of the time these days. :sleeping:

4 Likes

I’m not a petrol head and only watch the occasional F1 race, but even I can see the importance of qualifying and the necessity of its inclusion in the coverage. No way would they ever consider dropping it.

They keep having these scheduling clashes. A few months ago they bumped the women’s surfing final at Margaret River (with two Aussies in it!), telling viewers to watch it online. And now the cricket. Isn’t this what Fox Sports Plus was for? If they ran out of channels for an event they put it there. But they ditched that channel. They need another channel. It can be a test pattern most of the time, but it would be available for these spillovers on weekends.

Fox Sports More (channel 507) is available on July 15 but it may have been allocated to another sport e.g. surfing.