Federal Politics

Oh he would be pissed I imagine. If both coalition parties have any sense they’d stand separately to gain more votes and that extra seat. A joint ticket won’t generate any extra votes or another quota for them.

On leave.

1 Like

Well finally! Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of him!

Just heard David Armstrong on 3AW News say he apparently has a sick certificate from his medical practitioner.

Never ending. Expect an investigation into whether that is a shonky certificate.

2 Likes

Yes, Labor have apparently refused to attack Barnaby because of concerns over his mental wellbeing.

I recall an interview with Dr Mal Washer former Lib MP for Moore who remained registered as a GP during his time in parliament where he stated the number of fellow MPs (from both sides) coming through his office suffering from mental illness was higher than the one in five applicable to the genera public.

1 Like

what the fuck does that actually mean

1 Like

Neither of the two involved are taking responsibility for the affair that caused Barnaby to leave his wife for his staffer Vikki.

2 Likes

ah, misunderstood what “neither party” was referring to. Thanks - you saved me a now pointless rant about the role of the Libs and the Nats in all of this :joy:

2 Likes

Probably the best spot for this, The administrative arm of the Liberal Party are not helping the parliamentary arm with rubbish like this.

The Australian Electoral Commission has announced the results of proposals to redistribute and renaming of electorates in Victoria.
Batman in Melbourne’s north has been renamed Cooper, to honour indigenous rights activist William Cooper.
Corangamite will keep its name after a proposal to rename it after May Cox was rejected.
McMillan will be renamed after Sir John Monash even though there were some opposition to the proposal, because it would cause confusion with City of Monash in Melbourne’s south east while McMillan is in central Gippsland.
There will also be adjustments to the boundaries of 22 of Victoria’s 38 federal seats and the creation of a new electorate (Fraser) in Melbourne’s booming north-west suburbs.
You can read more here: https://www.aec.gov.au/media/media-releases/2018/06-20.htm

It’s finally here! The Super Saturday of by-elections! Finally, the day some people are forced to vote for the candidate they dislike the least. Here in Braddon we’ve had 9 (?) weeks where barely a day has gone by without either the PM, the Opposition Leader or any of the senior ministers/shadow ministers here saying exactly the same things, making the same promises that they’ll either dismiss or won’t be able to carry out due to not actually being in government.
At least it has put our region on the map and in the national coverage. I saw that Tim Lester was down here for 7 the other day and I’m pretty sure I saw a Nine reporter too and ABC has certainly covered things a fair bit.

I’m just looking forward to the democracy sausage. That sweet smelling sausage that just tastes like disillusionment.

1 Like

About to put some photos up soon but went out with my boy looking at the eclipse this morning and then he wanted to go to the Devonport Bluff to watch the lighthouse. A car pulled up next to us and asked if I was here to see Bill Shorten running. Turns out it was Sky News who then did a live cross in front of us and then further down the hill we just saw the ABC, Ten News, Sky News again and several others who I couldn’t determine.

Apparently both Shorten and Turnbull are in Devonport this morning. Wanted to stay longer but hypothermia was setting in and now that it was getting light it was getting obvious we were both in our pyjamas.

3 Likes

I think the liberal guy on the ABC Panel just accidentally let slip that the next election would be in May.
He said something along the lines of:
“Well they’re probably looking ahead to may”
He was interrupted halfway through the sentence so I may be mistaken.

Has to be before June 2019, and I seem to recall Turnbull predicting May in his interview with the Project the other week. After tonight, expect them to hold out as long as possible

1 Like

If the 2019 Federal Election is held in May (I agree it’ll probably be around then, to avoid clashes with the upcoming State Elections in Victoria & NSW), when would we expect the next Federal Budget to be announced?

Yep, if things went their way the election would have been possibly this year, but now they’ll hold out as long as they can.

I love how the Liberal guy is claiming it as a win in Braddon with a 0.1% swing to them… Lots of people voted the independent guy as they knew it would go to Labor and because it was a form of protest vote by not voting specifically for the two majors.

1 Like