Federal Politics

Jacqui Lambie has confirmed she won’t run in the new Braddon by-election. It’s expected to be Justine Keay (now non-British) up against Brett Whiteley (one of the three amigos from 2013, of which none survived in 2016).
It would have been interesting if Jacqui had run, she potentially could have made it, although she lost a bit of public support by sacking Steve Martin from the party when he took her Senate spot and didn’t vacate it to allow her to take it back up again.

I’m usually someone who is more concerned with policy rather than personality, but over the last month I’ve become convinced that the only reason Labor isn’t winning in a landslide is Shorten.

4 Likes

i think i saw on tv that tanya is the preferred leader of labor not shorten i think shorten is 3 or4 th

Sadly I think you’re right. I had thought the public would warm to Shorten over time, but it really doesn’t look like that’s ever going to happen.

1 Like

Yeah he’s trailing both Tanya and Albanese.

Do people think Bill Shorten will continue to lead Labor until the next Federal Election? Or do we think he’d be swapped out for Tanya Plibersek or Anthony Albanese?

probably depends on the election me personlly i dont think much will change unless they decided to knife shorten or if liberal wins u can be guaranteed that shorten will be thrown out and plibersek will be leader

I would think they’d have to be considering it. But it would be really difficult to pull off without damage. The only way I could see it being considered would be if shorten himself stepped down - a longshot of course.

1 Like

Had a call from Reachtel yesterday to do a survey and EMRS tonight. There’s a by-election coming up! Typical questions - If a federal election was held today, who would you vote for? Who did you vote for at the 2016 election? and what issues do you think are important.

There was talk at the beginning when Shorten was put in as leader that he would be a “caretaker” leader until closer to the election and then something would happen. A similar thing was said about Bryan Green in Tasmania and that David O’Byrne or Rebecca White would take on the leadership. David lost his seat and then last year before the election, Bec White went in place after Bryan Green retired. Obviously, lots of rumours about it all but it did play out as was talked about. There’s still talk that David O’Byrne who is back again could take on the leadership before the next election in a similar deal.

2 Likes

Prime Minister Plibersek?

Wouldn’t it be funny if NZ, Aus and the UK had female PM’s at the same time…

1 Like

“As many as 14 Coalition MPs are under a citizenship cloud as the attorney-general says federal politicians must show renunciation documents.”

1 Like

:crazy_face:

1 Like

The Australian Electoral Commission has recommended that the byelections for Mayo, Longman, Perth, Fremantle and Braddon to be held on Saturday, July 28. House Speaker Tony Smith says he is happy with the date but Labor is not, as it clashes with the proposed date of the national conference.

1 Like

i’d be surprised if these by-elections go ahead.

I’m still hearing rumours of a august general election and it makes some sense to go than - if they miss august, the next proper window is may due to state elections and holidays

1 Like

Independent Senator for Tasmania, Steve Martin has joined the Nationals. Their first Tasmanian representative since 1927 and first ever senator.

It’ll be interesting to see where he appears on the ballot paper, joined with Libs or as a separate Nationals ticket.

1 Like

Nationals Leader was in Devonport today to announce that with Senator Martin and so was Mr Shorten who was touring medical facilities. I’m guessing there will be a lot more visits in the next two months until the by-election.

Saw the first ad on TV last night too - just the same Liberal negative ad as usual but with a slightly (ever so slightly) Braddon focus. Two months to go!

1 Like
1 Like