Federal Politics

Has he quit?

He has resigned and will leave at the end of his current contract.

But now the prominent women’s refugee advocate, domestic violence campaigner and Australian of the Year finalist has had her assets frozen by the powerful NSW Crime Commission following an investigation into “serious crime related activity” and her “unexplained wealth”.

I would really like to see an end to Australian of the Year. Full of stupid politics.

Actually, same with all official awards, honours etc. Would love to see Turnbull do away with them.

I sort of agree, although it is good for people who dedicate themselves to good causes get recognised but not as “Australian of the Year”.

1 Like

Not sure if mentioned but there is support in Parliament for fixed 4 year terms with a set date for each election - the same as the US and other countries. I think this is an outstanding idea. Will be much better for the country. The only problem is if you have fixed 4 year terms, then the senate has 8 year terms and not many people would agree with that! So that needs to be looked at! A bill will be presented to parliament by a Liberal MP and the Labor Party has said they will support it.
In order for this to happen - there will need to be a referendum.

I think it’s a great idea, will allow a government to make tough decisions early on and give them a bit more time to get things done. Will also stop all the ‘when will the election be’ talk and shit like that.

No, no, no, no no!

Especially when we can’t even have Prime Ministers (and State Premiers, in NSW at least it’s so bad that it’s laughable) in the job for a full term, we need to have Federal (and State) Elections more often, not less often! Every year or two seems more appropriate these days IMO, because heaps can change in four years!

1 Like

Are you serious? I mean this is the nicest possible way but you have no idea about politics if you think having an election every year or 2 is a good idea… Wow :flushed:

3 Likes

I knew that my opinion wasn’t going to be popular, but I still think four year terms for Federal Parliament are way too long when we have leaders that don’t even last two years in the job!

I can go along with the idea for a fixed date/time of year though.

4 years is reasonable; the UK has 5 year terms, while the USA is insane with every other year being an election year (for congress) where congress used to get a year of work done before the electioneering began, but now instead what resulted - combined with the flawed idea of primaries - is that extremism has taken hold and nothing works, because the politicians (particularly on the right wing party) are too scared of the extreme part of their party to compromise, and compromise is essential for the system to work (true for both the Westminster parliamentary system and the US-style system).

Australia has succeeded the most and had the best economy when we have had long term governments (Howard, Hawke/Keating). Constantly changing leaders doesn’t help the country, so how would constantly changing governments?!
I think 4 year terms, even 5 year terms would be muvh better!

1 Like

But you are not voting for a ‘leader’ you are voting for a party. It shouldn’t matter who the leader is because voters are voting for a parties views and these, as you will see with Malcolm and Tony, will not change with leaders.

I am all for a fixed period and 4 years seems to be reasonable.

3 Likes

Exactly right.

Agree 100% with fixed four year terms for the HoR but they’ll need to reform the senate if they go that route IMO - 8 year terms for senators are just far too long.

1 Like

your not eveing doing that. your voting for a person. thats why someone can leave a party they were elected with (see cory bernadi) and nothing happens in terms of forcing a by-election. it’s my opinion that if someone is elected under a party i they leave that party a by-election should be triggered

Interesting. Something I didn’t really consider until you just brought it up. Well yeah I guess that is the sticky situation. You are/should be voting for a party with certain political views. If someone decides to leave that party, retire etc there needs to be an alternative. At the end of the day Cory Bernadi would have used funding from the Coaition. He is under a contract and if the Coalition really needed that seat there should be something they could do about him breaking that contract. Maybe someone else could shed some light on this.

They should change the law so that whoever does that would be forced to lose their seat and have to recontest it as an independent. That should stop them from doing it mid-term…and acting so shonky by using the party’s funds to get elected and then stab them in the back to sing their own tune.

1 Like

I think I’d be in favour of term limits on MPs and Senators before I’d be in favour of fixed terms. Something like, you can only be in parliament for three elections in the HOR and two elections (cycles) if you’re in the Senate. That way political parties don’t become full of crusted old farts and we see young people with different ideas and more enthusiasm brought into politics frequently. And don’t take my word for it, old mate Trump is in favour of term limits too :wink:

Hate fixed terms. It only means we’ll begin to see long election campaigns like the US, which is not something I am really excited about tbh.

1 Like

While I agree that fixed terms have problems and just changing from 3- to 4-year terms for House of Reps would be fine, I think 3 terms as MHR & 2 for Senator is way too short. We don’t want the place to be full of crusty old farts but we shouldn’t throw away all experience either; that would just replace one problem with another (bunch of incompetents).

But we don’t elect parties to a seat, we elect representatives and it just so happens that they’re affiliated with a party.

Forcing MPs to go through a by-election if they’re dumped/resign from a party only solidifies political parties in politics more, and punishes MPs who stick to their convictions and go against the will of a party for the better interests of their constitutents. What we want is less partisanship and more compromise.

Your recommendation would also mean political parties could dump “renegade” MPs and force the taxpayer to cough up for another by-election. It would only give political parties more power at the expense of local politics.

1 Like

Assuming fixed terms of four years each, that’s twelve years for a MHR and sixteen for a Senator.

Assuming the current unfixed three year convention remains in place, maybe four elections for an MHR and three for a Senator would be a compromise.

There are plenty of members in politics who sit in safe seats and never have to fight for their constituents. The Right Honourable Tony Abbott is one of them. Forcing a party to run another candidate to replace local MPs in an electorate would allow more currently ‘safe seats’ to be contestable and would thus make it more attractive for political parties to run candidates in seats they otherwise wouldn’t. Labor didn’t even run a candidate in Joe Hockey’s by-election.