Federal Politics

She’s alright - her heart is in the right place, but her competence was really lacking when she was premier. I don’t think she’ll win that seat, mainly because of its demographics.

Even Maxine McKew barely won that seat when Kevin 07 came along, and Shorten certainly doesn’t have the pull power of Kevin 07. Maybe Turnbull has such a bad rep that he’d be able to push people towards Labor, but I’m sceptical.

2 Likes

Bad option. Isn’t she the premier who allowed Eddie Obeid and Ian Macdonald to run the NSW Labor Party?

1 Like

“I’m nobody’s girl” said back in 2012 “You never say never” about running for federal parliament.

Heard an interesting thing relating to Jacqui Lambie on the radio earlier tonight from Antony Green. It turns out if Steve Martin is unable to take his spot because of his role as Devonport Mayor and section 44 of the constitution or if he chooses to not take the spot and the number 3 person on the Jacqui Lambie Network ticket also chooses not to take the spot then Jacqui is able to nominate someone else to take the position, including herself if she has relinquished her citizenship.

3 Likes

Based on the Hollie Hughes decision yesterday it has now forced Devonport Mayor Steve Martin to postpone his announcement and likely seek further advice as to his eligibility.

If he is ineligible, the person who was third (and last) on the Jacqui Lambie ticket has already said that he won’t seek the spot which can then lead to Jacqui being able to nominate an additional person… or herself if she’s renounced her dual citizenship and it’s allowed by the High Court.

What happened yesterday with the validation of our queer sisters and brothers as human beings who love and can now celebrate that legally was more important than most heteros can appreciate.

The catharsis was beautiful to behold. This was so important. It was a transformative moment.
There is a possibility that there will be wider implications for the country.

The naysayers always tried to make the postal survey about something other than marriage equality. Maybe it was. Just maybe the strong “yes” implies that the people of Australia have given a mandate for change for more than just the Marriage Act. Perhaps something has thawed, the frozen resistance to Australia becoming its best self in other areas too.

For far too long a small group of reactionary politicians, who believe they have the right to impose their beliefs on the majority, have controlled the policy agenda. Their backward belief systems extend to other issues besides marriage equality: climate change denial, regressive economic policy, the denial of the whole concept of “public” as in public education and public health, and border control and immigration. The meanness of the extremist right reaches past LGBTIQ folks to poor people, welfare recipients, refugees, Muslims and anyone, really, who is not on their side.

Now there is a strong indication that the people of this country want Australia to move forward. Perhaps the barriers to not only legalised same sex marriage will fall, and the wider electorate will see their way clear to embrace a progressive policy agenda for this country.

Perhaps the political class who now appear eager to respond to the people’s desire for marriage equality will now become more likely respond to the electorates desire for a return to the egalitarian economic policy, effective climate and energy policy, and renewable energy.

Maybe yesterday is a more important day than we now know.

1 Like

Has anyone else noticed a big uptick in radio ads for Commonwealth Government programs - ATO ads (taxing foreign companies is good for Australia) have been running a while, but this week I’ve heard ads from several different departments as well as the NBN. The usual ads that are nothing more than a thinly disguised promo for the government of the day.

Isn’t there a (state) election coming up somewhere? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Who’s NXT?

2 Likes

Nick Xenophon Team

I know … I was making joke.

1 Like

The joke
-------->
You

I feel r.obbed now fk.

I say we start a revolt.

How many more of these dropkicks are going to reveal that they’re dual citizens or foreign nationals or extraterrestrial aliens or whatever before the end of the year?

Flash back to 2007

1 Like

Those Sky graphics are hideous.

At least they’re consistent, mind.

1 Like

Interested to know peoples political views on here.

• Left Wing
  • Centrist
  • Right Wing

0 voters

I would consider myself to be a Liberal voter but would happily vote Labor if they gave me a good reason to.

(I voted centrist, socially progressive but economically conservative)

1 Like