Federal Politics

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/the-pulse-live/barnaby-joyce-malcolm-roberts-and-other-mps-receive-citizenship-verdict-from-high-court-20171027-gz9efa.html

14:27 AEDT:

This means when Parliament returns on November 27 the Turnbull government will have lost its one seat majority in the House of Representatives.

The Turnbull government also needs a new Deputy Prime Minister and the National Party needs a new parliamentary leader.

Remember Fiona Nash was the deputy leader but she has also been found to be ineligible.

https://www.fairfaxstatic.com.au/content/dam/images/g/z/8/v/q/o/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.gz9m9n.png/1509073463660.jpg

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce during question time on Thursday. Photo: Andrew Meares

PS (14:33 AEDT): Oh how dare those impertinent justices disagree with the prime minister’s declaration that Joyce & co. were eligible! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hahahahahahaha suck shit Barnaby. Government hangs by the support of that Cathy McGowan woman. Clearly she’s an idiot for supporting any government that contains tony Abbott.

This is a complete mess and farce and really puts in doubt much of the governments legislation.

Hopefully Barnaby faces some stiff opposition in the byelection and suffers a major swing against him. He’s a clown.

3 Likes

Baa-bye Barnaby!

Although, given that I am from a town in that electorate (but not registered in New England), I could realistically see him going back in. I know the type that would vote for him.

Yes, I suspect he’ll be returned comfortably. The country folk seem to like him.

Tony Windsor’s main point of difference is that he’s generally in favour of a reduction in carbon emissions, landowners rights and building up better services for rural Australia (e.g. NBN), but on social issues he’s quite conservative (supports death penalty, opposes same sex marriage).

1 Like

There is also Bob Katter who supports Tony Abbott.

I just got off work and walked into the reception. Was greeted by a screen showing the ABC with red graphics everywhere and a red-faced Barnaby.

I feel so fucking happy.

1 Like

So Matt Cavavan that Malcolm Turnbull kicked out of Cabinet because of this is OK to stay but the two who he kept because he was “absolutely certain” the High Court would find eligible to stay in Parliament are out! Incredible misjudgment.

Some questions - what happens to legislation that was passed (or rejected) with just a one vote majority in the lower house and by narrow majority in the Senate? And what happens to pay and entitlements?

1 Like

Not as bad as Turnbull saying that he had full confidence the High Court would rule in favour of Barnaby, Nash and Canavan in Parliament. Arrogance and recklessness in equal measure.

What a fucking disaster week. Next Newspoll will quite possibly be disastrous.

3 Likes

Disqualified senators Bob Day and Rod Culleton both had their Senate salary debts to the Department of Finance waived by the government. That precedent should mean that the five disqualified today will be allowed to keep their pay.

By-election 2 December - Tony Windsor won’t stand.

Another disgrace.

Love the Roberts comment headline:

Goodbye Malcolm Roberts, you won’t be missed

PS (16:39 AEDT): A nice history piece about s44:

1 Like

What does that even mean? Tony Abbott isn’t wanting support as he isn’t the prime minister.

And as for bob katter … he’s a fool as well.

No matter how you spin this… the government is in crisis.

1 Like

re-read what you said about Cathy McGowan and support for any government that has Abbott in it

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/high-court-citizenship-verdict-nationals-deputy-fiona-nash-falls-but-matt-canavan-clings-on-20171026-gz9aqh.html

Ms Nash, who held a swag of portfolios including rural health and regional development, was declared a British citizen who was ineligible to be elected, ending her 12-year parliamentary career.

All 12 years during which she was ineligible & so not validly elected.

His return to the resources portfolio is good news for the controversial Adani coal mine, for which Senator Canavan has been a tireless advocate, including promoting a $1 billion government loan for an accompanying rail line.

When he resigned in July, he said it had been “such an honour to represent the Australian mining sector over the past year”. “And I might be back!” he quipped.

What a disgrace; he may have been lucky with the Italian law, however sadly it seems his loyalty isn’t with Australia but with multi-national mining companies.

I love this analysis from Mark Kenny:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/no-judgement-and-no-answers-chaos-engulfs-the-turnbull-government-20171026-gz9apg.html

While Malcolm Turnbull cannot be blamed for the Nationals’ slap-dash vetting procedures going back decades, his ill-judged bullishness in response to the citizenship questions once they arose was all his own work.

“The leader of the National Party, the deputy prime minister is qualified to sit in this house and the High Court will so hold”, he decreed during a raucous question time on August 14.

The High Court held no such thing. And it held no such thing, unanimously.
…
Understand this. Joyce, a big-time player in the government, has never been a validly elected member of Parliament. Not once over five federal elections since he arrived in 2004 as a kind of a quasi-independent Nats outsider, and leaves now as a parliamentary stranger. An outsider all along.

Can we please have a refund for all the salary paid to this ineligible wanna-be-MPs?
I wonder how many others remain to be discovered.

1 Like

What already looked very sus, got worse; Cash must be happy her colleagues’ citizenship issues have distracted from her debacle.

1 Like

Haha, oh the self-inflicted injuries:

…the bigger problem for the Nationals is how furious the Liberal Party is with the whole sorry mess.

I can’t imagine why!

Queensland Nationals [sic] were busy squabbling over the Inland Rail plans in the week they knew their party could lose senior figures.

Despite that record, the Nationals are already making demands…

They want to have a National leading the country when Malcolm Turnbull goes overseas.

Pathetic; I’d think an acting PM would have to be an MHR not a senator, but regardless the Nats really should just shut up until Joyce is properly elected.

The Nationals are also keen to retain Fiona Nash’s New South Wales Senate spot, but Liberal candidate Hollie Hughes, who was next on the ticket, is expected to take up the job.

How dodgy is that, trying to circumvent the constitution & now the voting system.

It’s interesting to remember that was a double dissolution election because of the right-wing insistence on idiotic policies including the ROC which resulted in the Employment minister’s trouble this week.

I guess they just can’t help themselves.

PS (12:15 AEDT):

And a good analysis piece from Katharine Murphy on how the LNP shot themselves in the foot & why:

Perhaps the Coalition – now at the end of the worst week it has yet suffered in office – could deal with its problem by trying to govern in sober and steady fashion.
…
Because when the next election rolls round, voters are not going to give a stuff about the AWU giving money to GetUp, they are going to vote for the political party which they think has some answers, and an agenda which speaks to real-world problems.

The Saturday Paper has an article alleging that Turnbull asked GetUp for help in 2009. So this just keeps getting worse and worse for the Liberals and especially Malcolm.

Malcolm alleged in Parliament that it was Labor who were the suck-ups to big business. Now we know that was projection on his part. He was sucking up to GetUp for support.

It’s quite amazing how Malcolm continually shoots himself in the foot whenever he opens his mouth in Question Time. Earlier this year he said that the High Court would rule in favour of the Citizenship Seven, or at least Joyce, and he was dead wrong about that. He then also alleged that Labor sucked up to big business, when the reality is he was sucking up to progressive movements for support. He really has become a useless leader.

And this whole AFP raid because of a donation to GetUp by the AWU is demonstrating that the Liberals are shitscared of any significant political movement which doesn’t support them. They’ve grown so used to political activism being inherently tipped in their favour, thanks to right-wing think tanks, Murdoch press and talkback radio, that they simply cannot stand that an organisation is rising up to challenge their narratives.

I donated $5 to GetUp yesterday because fuck the Liberals and their slimy bullshit.

3 Likes

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/unions-demand-answers-over-new-twist-in-michaelia-cash-police-raids-scandal-20171029-gzadu3.html

Mark Lee works as a media adviser to the Fair Work Ombudsman but also does work for the Registered Organisations Commission - the Turnbull government body which ordered police raids on the AWU over 10-year-old donations to activist group GetUp!
…
Now it has emerged that Mr Lee - who knew about the raids several hours before they occurred - was due to replace Mr De Garis in the media role in the coming weeks, as he moved to a different job in the office. Given the controversy, those plans have now been cancelled.

What a grubby mess this has become!

Meanwhile:
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/more-than-100-joyce-and-nash-decisions-at-risk-from-legal-challenge-qcs-20171029-gzafux.html

The “last year”? What about the dozen years beforehand? Remember they were never validly elected…ever, not just in 2016.

There were no doubt other politicians over the years who were not validly elected due to being a citizen of another country. How far do you go back?