Federal Politics

…said no one ever.

This is basically the implosion of the Palmer Party all over again. History sure does rhyme.

2 Likes

Agreed. History repeating itself. People voting for these racist bigots is a joke to be honest… wouldn’t be surprised if One Nation fell off it’s porch again in the next couple years.

1 Like

Sadly, since Brexit and Trump, I wouldn’t be surprised if the opposite happened :frowning:

1 Like

But as the old saying goes: “A week is a long time in politics”

Hank Jongen always gave the impression on his frequent talkback radio appearances that he is kind, caring and helpful - I am sure he did help the people who called in with Centrelink problems. Right now as the departmental spokesperson for the Centrelink debt debacle he is regurgitating the government’s line and is slowly destroying his reputation. Jongen’s Facebook visitor page makes very sad reading, and his repeated response for help is to call back the same congested phone number or get back onto the discredited website. I’m very disappointed.

Cory Bernardi quits Liberal Party to form the Conservative Party

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/cory-bernardi-rogue-senator-defects-to-go-it-all-alone/news-story/eadcb95a5d435986a4ecdcb96bb78439

Reactions to Cory Bernardi quitting the Liberal Party.

5 Likes

Good on him

Sorry I need to speak on this for two minutes. I was overseas for the vast majority of Julia Gillard’s rein as Prime Minister and heard this for the first time about a month ago.

The issue with the Gillard Government is it was a hung parliament and she had to please the independents she picked up along the way. What is interesting is she successfully made it work unlike the 1940 which was a disaster. Anyway Julia Gillard had a lot of opposing views to listen to and make happy. Someone like Rob Oakeshock would consider themselves conservative, I am not 100% of his views now but back in 2010-2014 he might not have been for gay marriage. Lets say she did try and pass gay marriage in the house. What if one of those independents opposed that? It would have given the majority to Coalition and would have been an absolute disaster for her. Possibly resulting in a similar fate to the 1940 government.

1 Like

No, because she wasn’t supporting traditional marriage either.

[quote]Ms Gillard said she had changed her view that heterosexual and same-sex couples should embrace civil unions.
[/quote]

1 Like

Huh?

Hahaha oh come on now, don’t be so naive - that’s just a bit of revisionism.

As I said in the earlier post above I don’t think it was the fact she didn’t support marriage equality. She just enjoyed being the Prime Minister and had to keep all her independents happy.

Everyone knows her anti marriage equality stance was bullshit and only existed because the SDA had enough influence at the time amongst the right faction to roll her if she supported it.

3 Likes

I actually met with a human rights lawyer the other day. David (i forget his last name) and I was really surprised to see he wasn’t as left as I thought. He was the guy he won the Malaysian case (M70). He won with a 6-1 majority in the high court. But he was saying that the thing many human right advocates get wrong is that they use the media to create outrage which can cause backlash in the courts. I think that is what a lot of the far left journalist are trying to do and often do it to often. They need to report on facts and not give opinions.

1 Like

I agree, hence why I felt The Weekly creating a fuss about Joe whatshisname doesn’t do jack shit.

Haha, what a self-obsessed idiot this guy is. I knew it after watching tonight’s news, and his informing us to “watch out for me, I’ll be back in the game in 2018”, like anyone in Australia knows or cares who he is, or which organisation he’ll be working for next. Deluded. As if he was a rock star.

His attack on Pauline Hanson’s running of a fish and chip shop (does he have an issue with people from lower socio-economic areas??), was just pathetic considering the Prime Minister had also voiced the same concerns about his pay, and literally EVERY AUSTRALIAN thought the same thing when his total remuneration was revealed last week.

But then to ask the Project "Does she have a real issue with how Australia Post is performing or does she have an issue with the colour of my skin or my religion? 'If it is about the business, I am more than delighted to talk about the complexities of running a parcels online, e-commerce business’’ is just stupid, especially considering all news outlets revealed last week how the chiefs of the post services in the UK, US and Canada get paid less than half what he does. And yeah, with those same complexities that are so much greater than a fish and chip shop. :rolling_eyes:

Good riddance to an idiot, God knows how he was put in the position to begin with considering he seems as dumb as a plank.

2 Likes

For once, I agree with you.

It was a foolish thing for him to bring his ethnicity into it, since it’ll only serve to embolden PHON supporters who for once come off looking like the good guys. Selfish bugger.

1 Like

Well, even Fairfax is giving him stick on their websites today, giving top billing to his “bizarre” press conference yesterday. I think all of Aus is united on this one :stuck_out_tongue: