Federal Politics

Catholic Church has seriously been out of touch on a lot of things and certainly aren’t representative of many of the denominations around. Although, as I’ve been saying all along religion does not automatically mean a no vote just like not being religious means a yes vote despite what the ABC and The Project want to constantly push.
I would be extremely surprised if the split yes and no at our church wasn’t quite similar. I know amongst the Uniting Church there are many campaigning for yes and I believe they also have gay ministers but there are also other parishes which are against.

5 Likes

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/st-michaels-uniting-church-in-melbourne-wants-to-be-first-church-to-marry-aussie-same-sex-couples/news-story/c6010f83fd7d7046bc8aea45c992ba45

Yep, Uniting Church are getting behind it!

3 Likes

“Colonial terrorism”. Christ. From the sort of people that witness a terrorist attack unfold before them and don’t wish to use that word. :roll_eyes:

Don’t these people realise this was over 200 years ago? Totally different world to how it is now. It was what is was. Get a grip and maybe focus on some issue that could materially improve our society?

1 Like

Agree. On two fronts:

1. It’s a historical piece - if you travelled to Cairo, Egypt and saw a 3,000 year old statue dedicated to the god of human sacrifice, do you think “how interesting, this is what human beings decided at that time to dedicate to a public statue - it says so much about that time period”…or do you get upset that the Egyptian Government hasn’t removed it or covered it in plaques (thereby destroying its heritage) explaining that the human sacrifice god isn’t real. :roll_eyes:

2. Our Earth contains 7 billion human beings. Say Earth II in the next galaxy contains a few billion human beings too. If human beings on Earth have the knowledge to build a massive mode of transport to arrive at that other planet then:
    a) that journey, that movement of human beings, would be one of the GREATEST HUMAN ACCOMPLISHMENTS of all time and therefore worthy of celebration and public note;
    b) it would be acceptable to say that that planet was DISCOVERED…NOT INVENTED, NOT MADE, BUT DISCOVERED, even though it ALSO CONTAINS HUMAN BEINGS and is obviously not a denial that human beings existed on that planet…

The individuals who think these statues need to be removed, or amended, or even that time should be spent talking about them, are morons.

I’d be happy to have an addendum plaque located next to the statues to explain why the statues say what they say. I certainly wouldn’t have the statues removed or have the actual plaques amended on them. There’s a great deal of historic value associated with them. The person who vandalised the statues in Sydney is a dickhead for that reason.

Unlike the confederate statues in the USA where people could legitimately rally around them as a symbol of racism and white supremacy, these other statues are just there because they were important figures of the early colony.

10 Likes

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/same-sex-marriage-network-ten-admits-doctoring-controversial-footage/news-story/

Interesting that after so much hatred and vitriol about signs being plastered around Melbourne and how dirty the anti-SSM campaigners were becoming that now there’s not many mentions anywhere that footage was faked by Ten News and I think shown on ABC News as well and there were no other signs found around Melbourne and even the original one could never be found after various media and other groups all went to find it. The guy who originally posted it never even saw it in person and was just texted it too, probably straight from the Internet from the Westboro group or somewhere. Surely, there should be an apology over this one for the accusations and abuse it generated. The ABC I note are particulary quiet and still going very well with their charter of not being biased with it… yet again, another interview on their breakfast radio pushing only one side and never ever providing the alternative view so the only alternative view that ever gets out is of “posters” like this.

EDIT: Just saw that Media Watch did cover this last night, thankfully.
http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4725257.htm

1 Like

What happens when there isn’t enough news to fit the chosen “narrative” - news organisations become desperate!

Don’t see much wrong with someone calling Tony Abbott a cunt. The judge got it right. People need to grow up. It’s not even that offensive. One of the best words in the English language

1 Like

Conservatives showing how responsible managers of taxpayers money they really are?

(What was that about The Age of Entitlement being over?)

1 Like

In before the right whingers act so offended and complain about the “radical” left… and then about our so-called political correctness.

No shush you hypocrites.

1 Like

Erm…it’s the loony left that wants to haul people before the courts for “insulting” and “offending” people…the right have been arguing that this sort of stuff should never be dealt with in this manner…your views on what the right believe are seriously warped. :joy:

1 Like

Now, to show you’re not a hypocrite - you also support others not being charged for using offensive and insulting language, no?

:smile: :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I don’t think he was fined initially by the police because he was calling Tony Abbott a cunt. It’s because he had the word ‘CUNT’ displayed prominently on a sign.

Now, call me a prude if you will, but I don’t think it’s right to have that word on display in public where young kids could potentially see it.

1 Like

Essential poll

1 Like

Forget the kids what about old prudes like me

3 Likes

The No campaign’s campaign is going so great…

See, even the people in their ads are inflammatory liars. It’s just a desperate attempt to bring in a whole bunch of dumb issues relating to “political correctness” into a debate wholly unrelated. I have no fucking clue what “Safe Schools”, education or whatever has with same sex marriage. Marriage has no relation to education. Trying to bring “won’t somebody think of the children!” into a debate about marriage equality between consenting adults is just about the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. There is no connection, except for some dumb slippery slope fallacies.

Just mind-bending stupidity on display for the world to see.

4 Likes

Hahaha, Abbott complaining about other people making it harder for the govt’s message to get across! (Not his message; how hard is “No!” to get across?)

Abbott has written an essay for the WA Liberal party’s magazine the Contributor … in which he has taken a veiled swipe at Malcolm Turnbull.

He argues in the essay that Australia needs serious policy changes that will happen when “someone who’s prepared to do them will actually get elected”.

Well that must be Labor, given the LNP is so internally divided.

1 Like

A good report clearly setting out Prof. Williams’ warning to the LNP & others:

The government faces an “uphill battle” in major high court cases dealing with the same-sex marriage postal survey and the eligibility of seven parliamentarians on the current reading of the law, George Williams has warned.

In a speech to the National Press Club on Wednesday, the constitutional law expert and University of NSW professor accused the government of “a surprising constitutional adventurism” in testing the limits of its power and relying on a “creative, quite liberal and generous reading of those powers” by the court.

Williams said that “on the current law it is difficult to see … that any of the seven parliamentarians who will face the high court are likely to survive that challenge”.

“It is hard to see any of them have taken the reasonable steps that the high court requires to divest themselves of foreign citizenship.”

…government insists it has strong legal advice from the solicitor general that the better view of the law is that some element of intention or acquiescence to foreign citizenship is required.

Williams warned that view was based on William Dean’s dissent in the case of Sykes v Cleary and it was “exceedingly rare” for a later court to adopt a dissenting view.

"…it is hard to see why the high court would fashion an exemption when candidates have been warned of this problem and when the information is very easy to obtain through a simple check on the internet.”

…On the same-sex marriage postal ballot, Williams said the government was pursuing a non-binding, non-compulsory survey “against the normal understanding of our systems, [and] the clear wishes of parliament”.

Edit: Fairfax Media’s report:
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/constitutional-expert-predicts-high-court-bust-for-turnbull-government-20170830-gy71dl.html

…government is heading for a doomsday scenario in which its constitutionally controversial MPs are struck from Parliament and its postal survey on same-sex marriage is declared invalid, one of Australia’s leading constitutional experts has predicted.

Professor Williams joked he had become regarded as the “Grim Reaper” around parliamentary corridors in recent months, as MPs fell like dominos to the section 44. He lamented the “absurd” and “ridiculous nature” of the crisis, blaming politicians for failing to propose reform to the “broken” part of the constitution.

And from yesterday there’s this nice analysis/commentary piece on the SSM postal survey madness (including more offensive things Abbott has previously said):

Though he devised his plebiscite scheme to trap equal marriage advocates, Tony Abbott unwittingly created a snare for the Liberal party, one that’s wrapped them in impossible tangles.

…Liberal party insiders are already aghast about what their leaders have done.

“You’re motivating a group of people, the large portion of them young, who are naturally going to vote against you at the next election,” a worried strategist told Buzzfeed’s Mark Di Stefano. “It’s just not smart.”

2 Likes

Section 44 strikes again:

2 Likes