Federal Politics

The National Party have hung the Liberals out to dry here. The LNP only exists in Queensland, is it little wonder its the Natioanls, Greens and NXT who are having the most issues here?

I believe Labor and the Liberals have screenings for ancestry and potential citizenship breaches.

Obviously One Nation is retarded and/or too distracted stealing campaign finance to give a shit about properly vetting candidates. Nationals, LNP QLD and Greens were just lax.

1 Like

Damn, I’d scrubbed them and Roberts from my consciousness.

1 Like

I agree that Parliament should be suspended until this is all sorted out. The constitution appears to be quite clear on the subject.

1 Like

An interesting analysis & comment piece from Crispin Hull:

Unlike a vote, the ABS is going to do correction (for sampling errors), which is normal for statistical surveys, but the unique nature of this survey will bring its own problems with interpretation, assumptions, etc., and that will give plenty of opportunity for either side to discredit the result, which will only serve to show how much of a pointless waste of taxpayers’ money this postal survey is.

…the ABS must provide “statistical information”. So it must adjust the sample for the whole. Otherwise it is not “statistical information” under the Act. And maybe that is why the statistician (an independent statutory officer) has decided to collect the age, gender and geographic information and make the adjustment.

Sarah Hanson-Young accuses Muslims in Australia of being one Pauline Hanson stunt away from murdering people.

Of course, by logical extension, this means that all white Australians are one Charlie Pickering anti-Christian ABC joke away from murdering people. Sounds insane, doesn’t it?

1 Like

Ah…sorry but no. You’re doing the false equivalence thing again:
Not all white people are religious (let alone Christians), and Islam is religion not a race.

As Richard Dawkins said; if you’re only behaving because you think you’re being watched [by god], I don’t want to know you.

Boy isn’t she (SHY) a whack job. Whatever happened to common sense…

1 Like

Pfft, change “white Australians” to “Christian Australians” (>50% of the population).

All those words about “false equivalence” just to pretend not to know what I’m saying and how RIDICULOUS what Sarah Hanson-Young said is.

Australian Sex Party will be deregistered this week and relaunched as The Reason Party. I guess the original name scared away a lot of people.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/australian-sex-party-to-deregister-as-the-reason-party-launches/news-story/a6a5e91ddae3fa022c2c8f52115e3530

3 Likes

Oh she is ridiculous, but unfortunately there are enough muslims who are overly-sensitive to be a problem, for example about cartoons of their prophet.

Despite how much I disagree with bending over backwards for them or anyone else, Sen. Brandis had a point about unnecessarily marginalising muslims, feeding into a persecution complex, and how that makes counter-terrorism more difficult.
Stretching that argument to say it may result in the next terrorist attack is a logical extension, and we’ve seen plenty of politicians stretching positions/arguments like that (for example Abbott’s recent slippery slope nonsense about SSM).

The world is imperfect, people are irrational (religion being an obvious example), so there can be unintended consequences, possibly including of stupid stunts like PH’s (none of us can know for sure what’s in another person’s mind, whether they would have/or not have…).

It was a stupid - attention seeking - name. I hope their new name does better because I liked a lot of their policies.

1 Like

It was hysterical but it was SHY to a tee. Does nothing to make The Greens look sensible and rational. I’d be happy if she was dropped but at the same time her role within the party is to be an attack dog.

The Coalition, Labor and The Greens all agree on this point.

Pauline’s attempt to make this an issue is, as Brandis said, endangering the links between the intelligence community and the Muslim community. As hysterical as Hanson-Young sounded, she is half right, which is still infinitely more correct than Pauline.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but if there are individuals who are sensitive enough to what a Senator says to want to MURDER innocent Australians…then they should be REMOVED from this country immediately.

And the same logical extension asks…was Pauline Hanson responsible for Barcelona? Oh? No?

There’s that theory debunked.

I can’t stand “experts” caught up in groupthink with corny cliches like those that Mr Brandis cited, as being in charge of our safety.

What if those citizens offended enough are Australian citizens already?

1 Like

As Peter Dutton said a few months ago, it is a shame they were brought into this country in first place then (ie yes, nothing we can do about it now)…WHICH makes the discussion NOW about who we are bringing in all the more relevant…because in the future, it will be argued that they’re Australians and nothing can be done about it…

Left-wingers try to shut off discussion on both ends - can’t criticise those who are already Australian…and then can’t criticise those who we decide NOW to make Australian. I’m sorry, but it can’t work like that.

And it’s the same for discussion relating to immigration in every western nation.

Which is interesting, because a large number of homegrown Islamic terrorists in Western nations are second generation or even third generation Australians.

Again, the answer to this problem is not as simplistic as you’d like.

This is why it’s important that Pauline not jeopardise the relationships between the Islamic community and intelligence services. They’re here, and they’re born-and-bred Australians. Their parents are often the ones who become concerned about their radicalisation, and in some instances have reported their own children to authorities.

Why do you think they are so easily radicalised?

2 Likes

Disagreeing with a stupid stunt isn’t the same as shutting down discussion.
PH could’ve asked her question without the prop, but she wanted the publicity this stunt brought.

Personally I’m not sure how I feel about what she did, other than it appeared to violate Senate rules, as Sen. Hinch pointed out when he asked if he could come the next day in fancy dress.

There are security issues with face covering and if I can’t wear a balaclava or full-face helmet in a bank, etc., I see the logic that other face coverings shouldn’t be allowed in similar situations either, and maybe that garment should be banned because it’s a tool for oppression of women.
However there is merit in the arguments against what PH did too.

Exactly. The real world doesn’t fit the simplistic nonsense ‘solutions’ sprouted by right-wing nut-jobs like PH & Trump.

…exactly. Bringing people into this country has implications for DECADES and GENERATIONS to come…