Federal Politics

But we all know Turbull’s being respectful of his slim numbers. His lack of action and handling of the issue is off putting to many traditional Liberal voters and his personal supporters.

3 Likes

Oh Christ…these are NOBODIES on Pay TV which nobody in Australian even has!

They are not even comparable to me analysing what the Leader of the Opposition just said in Parliament yesterday!

I don’t understand this nonsense all the time…“lack of action”…“Turnbull is scared to take action”.

There is literally NO action to take UNLESS you legalise same sex marriage. He is simply satisfied with the status quo as it has been for THOUSANDS of years.

This is what happens when brainless cliches from the media are repeated.

He’s not the President. He has no personal supporters. That much was made clear in the humiliating result last year.

If he’s offputting to many traditional Liberal voters (yes, he is, because he’s Labor-lite but I know you really mean Liberal supporters disappointed with no same sex marriage) then he is APPEALING to those traditional Labor voters who find Bill and Penny’s all out assault on CHILDREN DYING because of Australians having their say in a vote totally weird.

If you’re the kind of person that likes cliches and platitudes.

Thankfully of ALL western nations, Australia is the most down to earth, straight talking and factual. That’s why far-left “liberal” nonsense does SO poorly here compared with other nations in the mainstream.

That’s not the point. You are whinging that the left scream nonsense. My point is the right also do it and you never point that out. Your ultra conservative leaning clouds your judgement.

1 Like

Can you expand on this? I’m confused as to what you’re referring to.

The Liberal party has lurched away from its foundations, taking many small l Liberals with it.

Actually it’s entirely the point…I posted an article about what the Labor leader said in Parliament yesterday (note: what Andrew Bolt said yesterday was not national news on which many articles had been written :roll_eyes:) - and that Shorten’s demeanour may be off-putting to many Labor voters.

Andrew Bolt, Rowan Dean and Paul Murray are not leaders of any party and do not command 35% of the primary vote at any election, so to discuss what “their voters” would think of something they said…would be quite weird.

Your ultra conservative-hate clouds your judgement as to people who critique the conduct of the left.

No, you’re not confused.

The Liberal party was formed in the 1940s - to suggest there are masses of disappointed and disgruntled “small l liberals” around from the time of its foundation is just ridiculous. They’re dead. Most Australians have grown up in the era of John Howard.

But, to take your statement on face value regarding the “foundations”, we all know what the “founder” actually has had to say about that:

The main trouble in my state is that we have the State Executive of the Liberal party, which is dominated by what they now call ‘Liberals with a small l’ — that is to say, Liberals who believe in nothing but who still believe in anything if they think it worth a few votes.
The whole thing is tragic.
8 April 1974
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2011/09/ming-was-no-wet/

“The lurching away from its foundations taking many small l Liberals” is therefore yet another left-wing media cliche which you’ve swallowed whole (helped, yes, by Turnbull’s speech in London recently…).

Which is why the first term Liberal government only rewon government by a single seat…

You’re absolutely bonkers mate if you think a large portion of Australians share your attitudes toward almost any issue.

2 Likes

If there was no need to change the law, why did the Howard gov’t change it (to enshrine discrimination)?
Are you saying there’s no need to remove discrimination (perhaps just because it isn’t hurting you/anyone you care about)?

True

Untrue; are you intentionally being obtuse? Since when does any PM not have some supporters for him/her?

He’s not, but I guess the far right wing of the LNP would see that as an insult.
He’s a centre-right politician, but perhaps anyone who doesn’t fully agree with the worst bigotted, xenophobic, fascism of the far right is a communist?

Another ridiculous statement; others have pointed out that these ‘debates’ are seen by bigots as a licence to persecute, but you choose to deny the evidence of how many young people already commit suicide without the inevitable escalation that is about to come.
(For example look at the reports of increased racial violence that followed Trump’s outrageous anti-immigration speeches.)

While there’s so much great about Australia and I don’t want to be anywhere else, let’s not pretend it’s perfect; nowhere is. People are still fallible, emotional, irrational.

You talk about the far-left (which must be where the communists are), but choose to ignore the other extreme (far-right), and extremes are the real problem; we need to be able to compromise, accept consensus, which of course is usually near the centre, and be accepting (including not always reversing laws passed by a previous gov’t/parliament).

Extremism - with that belief that one ‘side’ is wholly right & the other entirely wrong - leads to violence, Islamists being an obvious example from recent decades, but it also applies to other religious, and political extremists… (it is a slippery slope but don’t go stretching/exaggerating what I’m saying here).

And “Factual”, really? Abbott’s ridiculous lies seemed to play well, got the LNP into gov’t.
As I said Aus isn’t perfect either.

You’re over-criticising Shorten, Wong, etc. in this case; I didn’t see anything unusual or unexpected in their recent statements.
They’re emphasising the contrast with the other side, advocating their own position, decrying the other side’s approach (which, being based on LNP self-interest rather than good public policy, deserves criticism).

Any other political leaders would do similar things, as has happened routinely with other issues.

The LNP have done similar on other topics, but unfortunately we’ve seen the LNP have peddled plenty of lies over the years (we could go back to children overboard, non-core promises, Whyalla being wiped off the map, etc., it’s not new), but I haven’t seen Labor peddling out-right lies with this (it’s sad that the bar has been lowed to look for blatant lies).

BTW I’m not going to pay much attention to selected quotes from books or people; it’s too common with religious extremists, using quotes to try and justify all sorts of appalling prejudice & violence.

3 Likes

R E S P E C T F U L
D E B A T E

And we’re unfortunately going to hear a lot more about that too. But it’s been happening for months from the other side too but never reported or reined in. Links to pedophilia and the like for anyone who disagrees with SSM.

1 Like

No it hasn’t, otherwise you’d have provided evidence.

And even if it is, you and other religious folk aren’t being put in the humiliating position of having your rights voted on.

4 Likes

Just take a look at the rants on any of the facebook posts and discussions anywhere. Won’t take long to find any but I don’t have time at the moment because I’m at work and it’s hard to do on the phone but there’s plenty out there.

2 Likes

Sounds interesting, I’d like to see the evidence of “links to pedophilia” which anti-SSM folk have been receiving, once you’re done at work of course.

I’ll condemn such poor behaviour pre-emptively.

Well if you’re going to be like that we can return to debating like children and have a free for all name calling if you want? No point singling out some people getting hate mail when there’s been plenty of other stuff happening for months too but just being ignored everywhere.

Remember the outrage when Alan Joyce got a custard pie to the face? Talk of long jail sentences and everything against the perpetrator. Where was the same outrage against the guys smearing an unknown substance in the face of Andrew Bolt a few weeks ago? Sure it came out afterwards it was only glitter but there was certainly no outrage from those calling for action weeks earlier.

1 Like

Go re-read my comment. I’m literally hearing you out, I wasn’t being condescending or anything.

If you’re so quick to jump to attack mode when I ask you to back up your claims, is it any wonder why some might think you’re lying?

I literally called them dickheads in this very thread.

2 Likes

OK, sorry about that. I’ll put my angry finger away and try and find some examples for you later when I’m home.

1 Like