Federal Politics

Police Facebook catches a criminal:

4 Likes

catch me if you can ya doggggs

Do you want a head start?

that implies you already know where I am.

just call me

2 Likes

Well I mean how many peopleā€™s first name is Hub?* Canā€™t be too many.

*I donā€™t know if your name is actually Hub.

1 Like

My name Jeff

Iā€™ll be wearing a Russell Coight, Grant Denyer & Daily Bailey infused costume.

50-50 between getting you and @Jeffmisterā€¦ I like those odds

No it just means I donā€™t have to flick back with my cursor highlighting words for bold or italics in order to place emphasis.

1 Like

Warren Entsch on the 7.30 Report did really well. Talked passionately and he seems like heā€™s a genuine crusader for equal rights in the community. Heā€™s vowing to fight on.

Turnbull comes out of this looking weak and ineffective. Not good news for him.

2 Likes

and with that, our gutless PM just handed bill shorten the keys to the lodge.

Have we ever had a postal plebiscite before?

1 Like

we have only ever had 3 plebicites in the history of the country.

conscription in 1916
consription in 1917
and
national song in 1977.

none were postal.

1 Like

I should preface this by saying that I definitely support same sex marriage.

I think the idea being peddled by Labor and the Greens that a plebiscite should not be held because it is divisive and people will get verbally/physically assaulted as a result of campaigning is a bunch of rubbish. The problem of it costing megabucks ($150 million?) to hold is a much better argument against it.

So now itā€™s apparently going to be a voluntary postal plebiscite. Is it worth spending $40 million (apparently) to bring the date when same sex couples can marry forward almost two years? I think it might be. Itā€™d probably be covered by the GST funds that would come pouring in as a result of same sex weddings being performed.

Now hereā€™s a prediction of what I think might happen with this postal plebiscite - When the government announces this postal plebiscite thing, it will be challenged by same sex marriage advocated in the High Court. If the High Court rules the plebiscite legal, same sex marriage advocates will then tell supporters to boycott the plebiscite, thus providing no useful results and locking couples out of same sex marriage for two years until Labor win the next election.

One other thing - if they do run a postal/online plebiscite, I think there should be an online voting option as well. I voted in the last NSW state election online and it was very convenient. I believe the security of votes in a properly conducted online voting system would be as good or better than postal voting. There is an inherent bias towards elderly voters with postal voting (and itā€™s not just because theyā€™re the ones who are often too sick to vote), so Iā€™d imagine online voting would cancel that bias out.

1 Like

Totally agree!

really? studies have shown that the Irish campaign had negative effect on most LGBTI people we donā€™t need this rubbish here. we have elected piliticans to do this and they should do what they are elected to do and pass the bill. polls have consitantly shown a 70% support for same sex marriage.

NO NO NO. one of the best things about our electorial system is the ability to go back and audit the votes - by recounting the actual votes. theres no guarantee that even if i click yes on a screen there has been some dodgy code and it goes to the wrong pile. if i tick yes on paper itā€™s much more secure

3 Likes

So silly. Why does Laborā€™s constant campaign on abolishing negative gearing, for example, not have a ā€œnegative and distressing affectā€ on those families and individuals just managing to make mortgage payments? Is it not distressing to put families under?

Itā€™s just such an incredibly dumb reason for suggesting an issue shouldnā€™t be debated.

We have campaigning during every federal election which upsets a lot of people. In this case, it just means that media campaigns against same sex marriage by organisations will simply be delayed until the next election is called.

1 Like

A plebicite (of either sort) would have to be paid by the federal government while GST revenue goes to the states, so no it wonā€™t be covered, and $40M was the very low end of the estimate, other estimates have said it could easily reach $100M, and thatā€™s probably not including the cost of going to the High Court.

As has already been warned this sort of non-emergency spending money without an appropriation bill is blatantly unconstitutional so thereā€™s no reason the HC would allow the govā€™t to bypass parliament in this way.

The LNP need to stop wasting taxpayersā€™ money (& while claiming to be better financial managers!).
The Senate is not going to vote for either of this plebicite delays that the LNP want for their own internal issues.

Polls clearly show two things:

1. People want the pollies to just vote & get this done
  2. Itā€™s not a high priority for most people

These two are not inconsistent: Itā€™s not so important or divisive to most voters as to require further delays while people think about the pros & cons, spending public money on advertising campaigns (& a non-binding plebicite) is unwarranted.

Voters want the parliament to get it done and move on to other important business, especially improving housing affordability, but unfortunately the LNP stubborly refuse to put the nationā€™s interests ahead of their wealthy, religiously conservative & socially backwards-looking base, otherwise theyā€™d reduce the ridiculous tax concessions for investors (which continue to drive up prices of existing houses, concessions could/should stay for new construction), as well as getting the SSM thing done, and going ahead with the Emissions Intensity Scheme (as business has been asking for).

Ah, no thanks. @Tejas57 is right, and any system connected to the Internet cannot be anonymous and as secure as a pencil & paper with scruitineers.

1 Like

Essential poll results:

Two party preferred: ALP 54 (+2) - L/NP 46 (-2)

Primary vote: ALP 39 (+3), L/NP 37 (-1), GRN 9 (-1), ON 8 (0), NXT 3 (-1)

Source: GhostWhoVotes

Labor moving into landslide territory with all this ridiculous infighting in the Coalition. The Greensā€™ citizenship disaster has bled them votes to Labor too.

1 Like