Federal Politics

Um. Yes,

1 Like

I think those clubs should open their membership to women. It doesn’t make any sense in this day and age where you have great women like Marie Bashir, Quentin Bryce and women judges who have sat on the High Court being denied membership of clubs where male members would have been given automatic membership.

The problem I have with this cafe is that these people running this cafe are claiming the moral high ground, yet they are acting like total hypocrites. They are apparently fighting against gender discrimination by discriminating, and that’s something that should not be tolerated by society.

5 Likes

Aside from price and being private members clubs with exemptions to anti discrimination laws, how so?
If she chooses to run her business that way, good luck to her. 50% of the population less the ironic hipsters will choose not to frequent it, or do so and tell her where to go (tempting isn’t it?)

Get the ball rolling and make a complaint: https://www.humanrights.gov.au/complaints/complaint-guides/what-you-can-complain-about/complaints-under-sex-discrimination-act, thing is, that’ll just give her more publicity.

1 Like

If we’re targeting the gentleman’s clubs too, why not the women’s only gyms or the various mums groups which only allow women or the men’s sheds.

2 Likes

I don’t have an issue with those. But this cafe is not some sort of club. It is courting controversy by way of promoting blatant discrimination as some sort of “protest”. But they’ve got their publicity which is probably the main driver for their campaign.

2 Likes

Vote with your wallets then. I wouldn’t go to such a cafe, because I don’t want my Sunday morning smashed avo and coffee to be a political statement. I also wouldn’t go to a Mens Only club either.

Free market and such.

1 Like

Bingo! It’s just so utterly moronic.

However, my issue isn’t necessarily that one particular ugly vegan is being hypocritical. I mean, we know she wants the publicity. My issue isn’t that people will, or won’t, or that I will, or won’t, be opening my wallet for her.

My issue is where are those in the POLITICAL SPHERE and at the HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION; those who preach gender equality nonstop with meaningless platitudes and cliches, and yet NOTHING will be said or done about this clear breach?

Where is Triggs? Where is Labor? Silent as usual when the fruit loop far left rears its head.

Of course, but this is actually illegal, lol.

Seems the laws of the land only apply to some people, though. The hypocrisy and lack of outrage is breathtaking.

Some focus group remarks being reported by Fairfax currently:

Of course mind the, as-usual, biased clickbait headline because the detail is far less flattering for Bill Shorten in comparison.

Among the four groups of undecided voters, two each from marginal electorates in Melbourne and western Sydney, Opposition Leader Bill Shorten was not seen as an attractive option, either.

In the western Sydney groups: “They agreed that Shorten is not an appealing alternative, even amongst 2016 Labor voters, who believed he could not be the leader they were looking for - but had no idea who could,” Ms Demasi observed.

It was not much better among the Melbourne groups…

A participant in the group aged over 40 said: “Trust, he’s a snake.”

Some politicians praised for their authenticity (which, as I’ve said previously is Turnbull’s MAJOR problem):

The distaste for both major parties did seem to create an opportunity for the minor parties; One Nation leader Pauline Hanson and independent senator Derryn Hinch were praised for speaking their minds.

Confirming what most sane people already know:

Same-sex marriage was not a top priority among most in the groups…

Confirming that younger people who think they are “engaged in politics” today are just as stupid as they are in the UK:

“Do something, like same-sex marriage,” said a younger Melbourne participant. Regardless of individual voters’ views on the issue, she said, it was important that Mr Turnbull “just do something”.

And again, the following shows younger voters confirming how stupid they are by swallowing the far-left rhetoric and cliches about how “the right wing use terrorism for political purposes” - just last week it was revealed IS was planning an attack on an Etihad plane in Australia.

If this focus group was conducted after that news was made public, would be great if the polling company tracked these individuals down and asked them whether they still thought the same. And if they’re so fundamentally sure on that issue, what else are they wrong about…

And among the group of voters aged under 45 in Sydney, Mr Turnbull’s high-profile recent announcements on national security and terrorism were greeted with "absolute cynicism about the real threat of terrorism in Australia amongst the 20 somethings,"
A younger western Sydney voter said terrorism was used as a political distraction: “It’s like smoke and mirrors - ‘look over here while we ruin your lives over there’.”
Asked by the moderator whether Islamic State were a real threat, the eight voters around the table shook their heads. One man remarked: “One person a year dies of terrorism, less.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/newspoll/newspoll-turnbull-widens-lead-over-shorten-as-primary-vote-falls/news-story/40af403449838b858a3038ca39d5845d

Shorten’s fortnight of “populism” on the Republic, and CGT and trust taxation, well, not so popular…

The latest Newspoll, conducted exclusively for The Australian, shows Labor’s primary vote has fallen from 37 to 36 per cent after a fortnight of big policies including a $4.1 billion tax hit on family trusts, a plan to enact four-year parliamentary terms and a vow to hold a plebiscite on a republic.

And on the measure I’ve always said is most important at election time:

Mr Turnbull has widened his lead over Bill Shorten as preferred prime minister to reach his strongest position so far this year, backed by 46 per cent of voters compared to 31 per cent who favour the Opposition Leader.

If only some of Turnbull’s detractors on his own side also realise this. That’s ordinary from Shorten.

As someone else noted above, (like the police,) the Human Rights Commission responds to complaints, so please go lodge one (an earlier poster even linked to where to do so on their website).

Oh, and as for this question…

She’s recently finished her term as Human Rights Commissioner - no surprise the LNP gov’t didn’t renew her for another term given their hatred of her for pointing out some human rights issues with their policies - so how about asking where is her replacement (whoever the LNP annointed)?

Why should I waste valuable resources having a Commission chase this up? My point is if the Commission IS going to be formed, and IS going to be investigating rights breaches, then it MUST be consistent across the political spectrum.

My preference is for it to be abolished…

Stop whinging about a complaints-based system investigating a complaint you don’t like/agree with (even when it finds no basis & dismisses complaints) but not investigating what you’re unhappy about when you won’t bother putting in a complaint.

Basically: Put up or shut up. (Sorry if that’s too blunt.)

1 Like

Point out issues? Or the fact she oversaw students who themselves were racially discriminated against pushed through the courts for YEARS and didn’t put a stop to it?

See post above this one.

LOL as if students having their LIVES WRECKED is something “I don’t like/agree with”.

The callousness and lack of empathy is ASTOUNDING!

Er, your whole post revolves around the fact it’s complain based.

If it HAS to exist (I prefer it wouldn’t), why on earth SHOULD it be complaint based, when it is open to the sorts of fruit loops that we know have lodged complaints?

You’re making it sound as if I was the one that personally set up the complaints based system, and am being hypocritical in some way for saying its crap, LOL.

All caps on random words makes an argument more convincing.

1 Like