Federal Politics

12 Likes

Abuse of power from the former PM in March 2020

Dutton will have this rubbish for years to deal with. Bombs will be going off for a while yet, leaks and scandals are only just getting started. I wouldn’t expect any clean air until after the next election which he won’t be winning.

Will be an issue should ScoMo want to hang around for a bit, or take Cook to the next election. Surely not.

2 Likes

I doubt Scomo is the only one. Knowing how filthy the Coalition is it wouldn’t surprise me if they have a few more current ministers who have done similar things.

1 Like

Karen Andrews has asked for his resignation. Dutton needs to do the same. Only more bombshells are going to go off on him in the next 3 years (especially if a federal ICAC is developed). At least if Dutton asks for his resignation he can distance himself from the dramas.

I could potentially see and agree with the original COVID reasoning back when things were unknown and deaths were potentially quite a real threat but I don’t see any reason as to why they would have needed to stay any longer than a few months and certainly didn’t need to be any happening in May last year etc… This is just weird, even Albo can’t understand it.

5 Likes

Even Sky has turned on Morrison - though some of the comments on YouTube on quite on board yet.

This is very clever.

4 Likes

Media conference now.

Still appointing himself to roles! :astonished:

1 Like

4 Likes

I don’t know if this has been asked anywhere else - was Scomo drawing an extra wage for each of his extra ministerial appointments? Not that that makes any difference either way morally - it was a disgusting thing for him to do.

I know he’s not to everyone’s taste (and not always mine) - but in my opinion, friendlyjordies summed him up perfectly:

Scott Morrison is a bad person. His immediate instinct in every scenario is to do bad … what’s even more reprehensible is he’s bad … at being bad.

2 Likes

Question still hasn’t been answered in various reports, why was it done, what was the benefit derived from those moves in 2020 and 2021?

And I’ve just watched last night’s The Latest, which provided much more on this than previous reports, with grabs from his press conference, which must have been yesterday.

Effectively, he says it was done as a buffer on decision making by his ministers. I am not convinced that is the whole story, unfortunately his past makes it difficult to take him at face value. Particularly as they apparently did not know about this at all?

A good question above, as to whether he incurred additional salary/benefits from those moves. That is the bigger concern here, as ministers are elected to make decisions and structure appropriately to deliver outcomes for the country. Discretion should not be unnecessarily removed.

Anthony Albanese was asked this and said he was “not aware of any financial issues arising from it” but didn’t rule is out totally.

1 Like

Its a little unclear exactly why, the article below tries to outline why it may have occured - the early 2020 ones appear to be somewhat COVID related (and its somewhat understandable why the Government of the day would have looked at contingency plans, especially in the early days) - the resources appointment appears to be to reject the PEP11 application in NSW.

I think if they were upfront about the Health and Finance appointments, while it would have had some complaint people would probably accept that it made sense to have cover (although it would have shown how little power the PM held when it came to the pandemic)

3 Likes