Federal Politics

Against the unstoppable force of Onion Breath.

1 Like

ABC ticker saying Meryl Swanson, former Super Radio Network and 2NURFM announcer, has won the seat of Patterson with the ALP.

1 Like

Good on Pauline Hanson for picking up expected 4 seats in th Senate. Pauline Hanson is saying what a lot of people want to hear.

1 Like

Then why did Pauline Hanson get in? She may be controversial but the voters are willing to give her another shot. Iā€™d rather Pauline then the Greens.

1 Like

She got 140,000 first preference votes. Nothing to see here.

Hopefully Sam Datayri can take her for a halal snack pack in western Sydney. That exchange was hilarious. Sheā€™s a fucking joke.

4 Likes

noā€¦just no

4 Likes

Like the ā€œChristian Muslimsā€ remark which made no sense to anyone on this planet apart from her?

6 Likes

Is this a serious comment? She is what is wrong with some Australians.

6 Likes

Source?

Also: this in Fairfax āˆ’ ā€œHanson is pushing for a royal commission into climate science and Islam and wants to abolish the Family Law Courtā€
Sheā€™s not just a racist, sheā€™s also hates the judicial system

3 Likes

They havenā€™t won 4 seats. Well not yet anyway.

They should win 2 seats in QLD. Most likely one in NSW and possibly one in WA. Which says a lot about people in these areas :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder if people actually knew the policies One Nation had before voting for her. Here are some highly offensive policies she has:

• install surveillance cameras in all Mosques
  • Hold a Royal Commission into the corruption of Climate Change Science (and everything else after yesterdays comments) - she wants all subsidies and financially advantages removed.
  • Stop Muslim immigration and the intake of Muslim refugees
  • Doesnā€™t agree with same sex marriage as one day it could lead to adults marrying 9 years olds - like WHAT?
  • Wants to abolish Multiculturalism and the racial discrimination act
  • Ban Halal certification
  • Opposes taking guns from law abiding Australians - she thinks gun laws are too strict
  • Ban the burqa and niquab in public places

We live in a democracy and everyone is entitled to a view. But I really hope people had a look at some of her highly offensive, obviously racist and discriminatory policies before putting a vote down for any of her party representatives.

3 Likes

And everyone is entitled to have their view challenged, something Sunrise and Channel 7 seemingly failed to do when Hanson was a contributor.

3 Likes

Sheā€™s just nutsā€¦ She was on sky news just them and Paul Murray was salvaging over her victory and how she has fought the good fight. Boy oh boyā€¦that bloke is just as nuts as she is.

Why would there be a royal commission into climate science? Itā€™s scienceā€¦and climate change is real. I donā€™t understand her logic.

Moreover, what could a Royal commission into Islam achieve? Islam is a religionā€¦like Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism. Does she want Royal commissions into those religious traditions? Truly bizarre stuff.

2 Likes

Interestingly, and I know I put it in as one of her crazy policies, the banning the burqa has some legs. Obviously France and Belgium passed the legislation. I am, personally, not for it. With that said I can understand some of the issues.

For example:

• There was a case a few years back in NSW (I think) regarding a police officer pulling a woman over. She claimed he assaulted her. She wore a burqa. He went to court and video evidence proved she was lying. They then counter charged her for lying. She said in court that it was not her and that anyone could have went into the police station to make the complaint.
  • In exams etc those wearing a burqa are not required to prove that they are in fact the person they say they are.

So obviously there are some legitimate reasons to back up such a claim. Iā€™m not sure if I am for a total ban in public places but some issues such as security, exams, buying alcohol, showing a licence, in courts and police stations are all issues that could be addressed if they were to reform the law.

2 Likes

Well it has been three days since voting day and we are still no closer to finding out who will become the next Prime Minister of our country. If iā€™m not mistaken, Labor currently hold 71 seats, whilst Liberal holds 69 seats (the target is 76, as all of you would know). Personally, I donā€™t really care who is elected, as both leaders are just as bad as each other. How can Labor be looking out for lower and middle income families (despite the fact that it looks after their ā€˜best interestsā€™), when the party wants to scrap penalty rates? Bill Shorten has no right to complain about the Liberalā€™s proposal to privatize Medicare, because many of his policies are only going to hurt many families out there. In this case, both parties are killing two birds with one stone; the two birds being the livelihoods of the general Australian public. Just my two cents worth.

2 Likes

They seem pretty confident they will.

1 Like

IMO, both major political parties have failed Australia (same can be said on a state/local level too, but lets not go there right nowā€¦) in recent years and many voters have made their opinions very clear at the polls. There needs to be an overhaul of the entire system, but I canā€™t see that happening anytime soon.

That said, I completely agree that Pauline Hanson/One Nation represents what is completely wrong with some sections of our community.

2 Likes

Well that is obviously the case when The Xenaphon team beat Liberal (who have never lost) in Mayo. And it wasnā€™t just a close win it was a massive win. For as many independents to win as they did there is obviously something going on.

1 Like

Wait until 2019. The Greens have made real inroads into some inner city seats, especially in Melbourne.

People are laughing off the fact they only won one lower house seat (despite being quite major in the Senate), but they are well positioned to take another two or more in the next federal. The big two were really spooked, especially the Libs who were taken by surprise by the success of the Greens in some of their own seats.

1 Like

Greens have to beat both majors and in their own right with no Lib preferences in Labor seats, it was too much this time, but not in 3 years.