Federal Politics

It’s on topic. Just because it’s mostly two people responding to each other doesn’t mean that it has to go to PMs. Nothing is stopping you or anyone else from joining in.

Let’s remember, some sports reporter on the ABC was sacked quite quickly after he made similar comments a few years back.
What she said was disrespectful, any true Australian who follows our way of life, respects our values and engages with Australian aspects would of not said that. Imagine if someone else had said that, she clearly doesn’t agree with the values Australians hold. As a face of the AUSTRALIAN broadcasting corporation, the public expect someone who retains these values and aspects.

Utterly disgraceful.

2 Likes

I can just imagine ABC News trying to cover the controversy; what to say, to be fair, impartial, not just repeat what the ABC management have said, etc. It wouldn’t be easy, but silence isn’t exactly great either.

This false equivalence irritates me. While I think what she said was stupid, disrespectful, insensitive, etc., it wasn’t “hateful”.
The anti-hate speech laws are about preventing encitement of hate & violence against people, vilification on the basis of race, gender, etc.

If you disagree and think it was hateful, please describe how her statement could be seen as encouraging hate or violence against anyone?

I think a small article on their website would work and a temporary suspension a fair deal.

I don’t get how this is such a big deal. I strongly doubt it’s a big political issue. Certainly no one I’d talked to today had heard of it.

It was, all things considered, a fairly lame and tame post. She instantly apologised. If this is the biggest political story of the day, ahead of even Dutton’s absurd remarks and the Aus Cons merger, then politics in this country is in trouble.

1 Like

They did

Problem solvered!

The issue that matlock says “no one has heard about”, is actually headling one of Australia’s most widely read news sites today.

hmm

3 Likes

The statement that “no one has heard about it” is clearly false.

1 Like

Like Trump, and Brexit, individuals who work in the media often have a tin-ear to what ordinary people think about certain issues. The new demographics thread on this forum confirming the audience of this site is very young on average, likely means political views as a whole are not representative of the general public.

Being a leading media discussion website in Australia, it would be wise for political discourse to be allowed to reflect that which actually occurs more broadly in this country, rather than shutting it down whenever some users feel uncomfortable, triggered, or want to wretch because certain issues do not fall their way. If Yassmin is labelled a “bitch” on Murdoch’s Sky News, then I think stating that she is a “shit” isn’t too far off the mark of what is actually making news in Australian media today.

So, rather than reinforcing a tin-ear left-wing media bubble, moderators should allow free and open, rigorous discussion about political issues.

The Daily Mail?

Oh Firetorch, you’re a parody of your former self.

2 Likes

But more importantly what does Gina Liano have to say on the subject? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: And what about Melissa Tkautz and Athena X? Australia needs to know. :joy:

6 Likes

Australia’s opinion leaders?

3 Likes

I’m refuting your claim that “no one has heard of this issue”.

Fact is Daily Mail Australia, in terms of unique audience, is a top 5 news website in Australia, with more visits than The Herald Sun, The Age, or The Guardian, for example.

http://www.nielsen.com/au/en/press-room/2017/news-steady-retail-booms-nielsen-digital-ratings.html

I would agree that many of the views expressed here are out of step with my own given my age and background. I should note I didn’t participate in that demographics thread. I accept that younger people have a different world view and are more accepting of the changes taking place in Australian society. It is reflected in the attitudes of my sisters’ children and the younger people I work with. Many of them, however, would acknowledge my attitudes are more in line with those of their parents and representative of the broader general public. I have been accused of being a dinosaur and branded racist when I’ve discussed certain issues making news in the media today. Apparently I’m racist because I expressed a view that rampant immigration is adversely affecting the quality of life for those already here.

Firetorch, you are afforded every opportunity to express your views here. The mod team supports your right to express your opinions even though they tend to rile certain users and cause problems for us. We only ask that you refrain from derogatory language and personal attacks when doing so.

I would ask all members of this forum that if certain language is deemed inappropriate and is removed by the mod team that it not be quoted in subsequent posts.

8 Likes

I’m not saying because Lisa said it, it’s news - I’m simply pointing you to what is being covered by Australian media today, which in many cases, is what makes news.

But people make a comment on social media which leads to the rest of the media reporting on it and then it becomes “news”. That’s the sad state of the media today.

3 Likes

Sounds nice in theory, but how? Quotas? Drafting in people from underrepresented groups?

Some opinions on any niche website will attract certain demographics over others.

Sure. I’ve commented on this before myself. The idea however that no-one is covering this issue, or no-one has heard of this issue, is clearly false, however.

Oh it’s pretty simple really - allowing those who want to participate to do so and express themselves freely. Why on earth would MediaSpy need a quota to encourage me to be here, when there is no absolutely additional barrier to me being here than anyone else faces? Think your troll attempt fell a bit flat there, matlock.

You can express yourself freely, but don’t expect people to not refute.

Can you knock it off with the “troll” rhetoric? Nothing about what I said was the least bit trolling.

1 Like

(Although I’ve also been guilty of being too literal) perhaps ‘no-one’ wasn’t meant literally, but as is often intended, meaning ‘(almost) no one’.

PS: Yes, I realise people can speak for themselves, just thinking we can try to take some of the heat out of this stuff.

1 Like