Federal Politics

This is a weak argument. Can you back up anywhere that ANZAC day is considerably more emphasised than it was?

Further, what is wrong with ANZAC Day being the more prominent day of the two? So long as people are more inclined to pay their respects to those who fought for this country.

It’s not foisting propaganda on them so much as it is dictating to them that these are the norms which define this country. An immigrant is free to believe otherwise, as is their prerogative, but we aren’t going to respect the open expression of ideals which run contrary to the established norms. E.g. if someone believes that women are inferior to men, or believes a form of government other than democracy is preferable. Turnbull outlined that freedom, egalitarianism, and democracy were core principles behind the change and he’s relatively right (even if it’s a political play); those aspects of society shouldn’t be taken for granted and I’m glad that there is an effort being made to emphasise those values.

It’s not a new observation that during John Howard’s time as prime minister ANZAC Day became more prominent; it gradually became more of a nationalistic celebration which fit his disdain for (what he called) “the black armband view of history”, his prior racist policies (anti-Asian immigration), and his refusal to apologise - officially as head of the Australian Government - for the crimes committed against the native peoples of this continent by former Australian governments (especially the forced taking of aboriginal children from their families).

Remembrance Day has retained a tone more about remembering those who suffered and died during wars. I prefer it because of that, whereas (unfortunately) ANZAC Day now has that war & nationalism association, and that’s really not a good thing for future peace, as well as having a misleading narrative (but of course narratives are subject to how each individual sees them and the context):
We didn’t suddenly become independent after that day; we remained in the British empire, which basically changed/faded around us as opposed to the Americans or Indians or others who (at different times) pushed it off. We even still have the British flag in the corner of ours!

My view (opinion) is that it’s unfortunate that ANZAC Day has become more of a celebration, with nationalism in the mix. Let’s celebrate our nation on the day we became one, 1 January (the day the Federation of Australia came into force), and have ANZAC Day be more like Remembrance Day, remembering those who fought & died for the nation, sacrificing everything so we can have the lives we do today.

4 Likes

I totally understand how the media has played up that, unfortunately, but those who see ANZAC Day as a remembrance day without the nationalistic jingoism are still there. Attend any dawn service and there’s always an anti-war emphasis.

1 Like

I don’t like politicians “dictating” “norms” which “define” this country. Completely sinister.

It is for politicians to put forward their views, and wait for acceptance at the ballot box. Migrants are free to question everything and anything if they want. We want free, open, and ever-questioning thinking, not regressive far-left silencing.

That’s why I’d recommend they talk with the community and gauge their expectations.

I’m sure the ANZAC question would be highly supported in any consultation process across large parts of the population.

1 Like

Here’s their “expectation”:

[quote=“pelican, post:329, topic:1123”]
I’m sure the ANZAC question would be highly supported in any consultation process across large parts of the population.[/quote]

“Large parts of the population” are stupid.

1 Like

This has caused a lot of comment today. Before:

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/18118844_10208939579551263_2635049345287563220_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&oh=5056aca87537c9997bee6b1a2315acb7&oe=5975631E

After:

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/18157182_10208939579711267_3536945847350654284_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&oh=fd5e24bc77800e366733ab55cad12836&oe=598A139E

how do these continuously outraged types manage day to day? It must be exhausting.

3 Likes

What a disgraceful woman she is. Today is about paying our respects to the people who fought for this country, not about making political statements. Today is one of the few days where politics and the things that divide us are put aside, but she obviously doesn’t understand that and obviously doesn’t care about the people that fought for the country that gave her so much.

4 Likes

Lucky she ditched that quickly, the last time an SBS employee trash talked ANZAC Day they were dumped pretty quickly.

2 Likes

Agreed. Dunno what Palestine has to do with anything.

Her post is bizarre to say the least.

probably referring to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict

Yeah I know, but it’s got nothing to do with an Australian memorial day.

neither does Syria, or Manus Island or Nauru

Hopefully she is sacked by the ABC.

1 Like

Ye, I dunno why I specified Palestine when none of it made sense.

I’d expect to see some coverage of this on the ABC News website, but I couldn’t find anything.

2 Likes

I couldn’t either. It’s on every other news site.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/18121891_10208941402036824_8852607090584117403_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=ae2017bffaf0f99883dda2f57dac2f09&oe=598F434C

1 Like

Hah!

Breaking News.

1 Like