Federal Politics

In Victoria eggboy will probably be charged with unlawful assault which is the least serious assault charge possible.

Anning, possibly the same for the second crack. As for his motley crew of society’s misfits “detaining” the boy well quite possibly something more serious, maybe assault with intent to commit indictable offence. Several of them are familiar with the justice system in Victoria and are convicted criminals.

At the very least, if Anning insists on these speaking engagements, hire a professional bodyguard, no way should eggboy have got anywhere near him let alone made contact and resulted in 5 or 6 “adults” taking matters into their own hands.

2 Likes

Apparently Egg Boy has also raised $20k for legal fees and “to buy more eggs”. Isn’t that proceeds of crime?

As for Anning and his crew also getting charged, I have no problem with that. They’re not getting treated like heroes. Anning should have properly trained security people if he’s going to continue inciting things - which he likely will since he sees the reaction it gets.

1 Like

has he been charged/convicted of one?

1 Like

not as yet

It’s a gofundme page, anyone could have started it in his name. He’s already had several fake twitter and instagram profiles started which are purportedly his. If the money’s genuine (these things always seem a bit iffy), he should donate it to families affected in NZ.

4 Likes

None of those pages were set up with the family’s consent, for what it’s worth.

Anyway, bowing out of this conversation. Much like centrism, it’s entirely pointless.

2 Likes

Being detained is different from being assaulted.

1 Like

Yep, and I’ve already said several times that was excessive and I fully support any charges that come from that but the difference is, those guys aren’t getting treated like heroes like the kid is. They’re all in the wrong.

I can’t stand Tony Abbott as much as everyone else but it was the same when he got headbutted. Violence shouldn’t be praised or condoned when as a society we have such an issue with it, especially the sneaking up behind people like a coward and doing it.

1 Like

Dean Cain is trending on Twitter in Australia after the former TV Superman tweeted

he has since defended his position repeatedly and blocked multiple accounts of people who disagree.

1 Like

Outraged by violence and react with violence. Some celebrities should not be allowed anywhere near social media.

3 Likes

No - this concept that everything must have you associate with one of two sides that are diametrically opposed to another needs to stop. Centrism is a perfectly acceptable position to hold

This idea of having to be aligned with left or right and nothing inbetween is a large contributor to the political mess that we are in at the moment

8 Likes

“Both sides are wrong” is a dangerous approach when one side is promoting literal fascism, because it implies both arguments are of equal legitimacy (or illegitimacy). Naturally, this is unsurprising: voters who subscribe to centrist thought are more likely to be authoritarian in nature and more skeptical of democracy than either liberals or conservatives; while certainly not equating the two, they have more in common with fascist movements than either mainstream political leanings.

If anything, the political mess has come from decades of being pushed towards the right. Both major parties are guilty of this - Labor since Keating beholden to the centre/centre right factions, and the Liberals since Howard. The last set of Australian Electoral Study figures I saw had the political median of Australian voters narrowly left of centre, but our major parties are fighting for space well into the right.

2 Likes

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/scott-morrison-slams-senators-islamophobic-comments-as-a-disgrace/news-story/641969a3d29ed8644558287186463899

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/fraser-anning-facing-pressure-on-all-sides-as-cops-investigate-infamous-egging-incident/news-story/888c9da6fe7e203847fce870de421c16

The Queensland independent senator laughed off threats from Scott Morrison, saying: “I hope it’s not too painful. What’s he going to do? Flog me with his lace hanky? I don’t know.”

1 Like

Great attempt at arse-covering by Sunrise.

3 Likes

The same Sunrise that used her for paid appearances before she was elected to the Senate? They’re responsible for giving her oxygen.

5 Likes

Yes - some are asking those questions of Sunrise.

5 Likes

Jesus this asshole has got to go. Changes his mind only when it’s politically convenient. He just continues to taknabsolute right wing nonsense. These right wing people like Abbott, Anning, Hanson and Dutton are extremely dangerous.

4 Likes

But he said he doesn’t stand by his comments.

But he’s just changed his view to suit the political climate. He still believes that shit deep down. He’s trying to remain relevant. He’s a pathetic nuisance. His views are not required.

4 Likes