Federal Politics

Agreed.

MT declared he wanted to lead a ‘thoroughly liberal’ government - as opposed to a conservative one. Sadly, he lacked the fortitude to do so.

Could Australia support a thoroughly liberal party? Would there be enough votes?

Another government who makes decisions on the run to win votes, gets it wrong and suffers a backlash, so does a backflip.

Isn’t that all governments and opposition parties?

Before or after they say they will be different?

They all say they will be different, otherwise if they change their minds and ram things through they’re in just as much trouble too. One of the jobs where they can’t win either way. Governments these days are never favoured over the opposition until they win an election and they’re favoured for a few months then it’s always the opposition as favourites because they can saw whatever they want to be popular but don’t have the ability to change anything.

I’m not sure how far this scandal will rock the government but the assistant minister has resigned.

The story is taken from New Idea and we know how reliable they usually are. :poop:

Is this more of the new standard of reporting from the Nine-owned Fairfax?

Is it possible that New Idea have had a shocking lapse of judgement and have broken some actual news? Because ABC News (notorious for their tabloid journalism) is also covering it:

There’s a first time for everything. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ABC notorious for tabloid journalism? Since when?

It was obviously a joke, just like the comment about New Idea breaking some actual news being “a shocking lapse of judgement”! :wink:

Just an observation that pertains particularly to politics… the use of the term “backflip”

I know everyone uses it to mean a reversal of a position or policy.

But when you think about it, if you do a backflip you end up facing in the same direction… so no change.

What they should say it “about face” or “about turn”

Pedantic? Maybe… but it’s still true.

Or when a party has “done a 360°”

Lot of money spent by someone who is a fair chance to not be there after the next election.

I don’t think he quit the Lambie party, Jacquie had a hissy and expelled him and I believe at the time things were also quite messy and she didn’t want him taking over that office as well as the spot because she was pretty pissed with him.

I also think there’s been something dodgy going on with the building too. The building has had a major refit, it used to be the Dick Smith store (Google Maps) and was supposed to be opening up as a boutique hotel but then apparently something happened with that and that was rumoured to be shelved and then it was used as the Liberal headquarters for the state election or the Braddon by-election, can’t remember which. Then suddenly it opened up as Steve Martin’s office. I’m not sure if there were extra costs which people thought they could then put on the bill or what but it does seem a bit fishy. Which is disappointing, I do like Steve Martin and he’s a good guy having met him a few times and he does actually care for the people, whether he gets the decisions right or not.
In saying that, the Libs spent buckets on Joan Rylah’s office move in Burnie only a few months before she was kicked out, the Libs also had the Senator debacle where none of them wanted to be in Devonport after they shafted Richard Colbeck and Labor’s had a few of these “scandals” too.

I’m not judging based on who it is, it’s just a massive waste of money regardless of party affiliation. Think his expulsion from the JLN is old news, think there’s plenty of blame to go around on both ‘sides’.
I don’t see someone who got 233 votes getting re-elected, regardless of whether he’s a “good guy” or not.

I’d imagine he’d get more votes as a Nationals candidate. I presume they would run a separate ticket to the Libs given they have no history of working in coalition in Tasmania. If they get a decent above the line vote then it’ll be up to preferences.

Yeah, the Libs said that he wouldn’t be running on their ticket. That could help him. I’d rather have him and Lambie back in than Abetz and the other deadwood.

Given Lambie got in off the back of her own personal vote (0.44 of a quota below the line) I think Martin is a quick removal from the Senate because the Nats have very little history in TAS. Don’t really see much changing. We have a strong history of voting below the line too, that’s how Lisa Singh got there.

Yes, I think I heard somewhere once that it’s generally the highest in the country - likely because we do have less candidates. Last election the two highest below the line results were Lisa Singh and Richard Colbeck, both people who had been shafted by their parties.