Federal Politics

Another bombshell for this government. Call an election now!

2 Likes

Something important you might’ve missed while Julia Banks was announcing her resignation from the Liberal Party to sit as an independent on the crossbench: Scott Morrison has announced that the 2019 Federal Budget will be announced on April 2, an extremely strong indication that the next Federal Election will most likely be held in May. Not that there’s been much doubt about the possibility of a May 2019 Federal Election recently, because it’d otherwise be a challenge to schedule it around public holidays and critical state elections.

Also, there’ll be a mid-year budget update on December 17.

4 Likes

Are polls suggesting that there’s zero chance for the federal Liberals to even scrape a hung parliament at the upcoming election?

1 Like

It’s between whether Labor wins comfortably or Labor obliterates them out of existence

4 Likes

It does not look good for the libs. I think this will be good for Australia though. I wonder where labour sits on the change the date issue.

Best to keep quiet and do nothing until the election.

1 Like

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if the coalition was heading for a Canadian Progressive Conservatives style obliteration in May.

1 Like

This government (and I use the term loosely) is truly the gift that keeps on giving. Am I a bad person to be just so entertained by it all? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree I just would be interested on their thoughts

tweet from cormann from 5 years ago. bet it doesn’t apply now…

1 Like

This is coming from News Corp:

The rift that is tearing the Liberal Party apart
The Liberal Party is splitting and the rift could become as dramatic as the tearing apart of Labor some 60 years ago.

1 Like

It fell apart as soon as Abbott gained control. He took the party far too far to the right. Howard did too, but was at least electable (to enough people).

4 Likes

You’re quite right. It started with Howard slowly but surely tugging the party to the right. He was just clever enough and measured enough to pull the wool over most people’s eyes. Towards the end of course the penny finally dropped for most (eg work choices).

1 Like

John Howard on 7.30 tonight :joy:

“Victoria is the Massachusetts of Australia”.

Attempting to water down the Liberals’ current dire state?

Comparatively and proportionally, is that US state the 2nd biggest too and have the equivalent of 6+ million inhabitants too?

Don’t want to call a successful former PM an idiot, but what an ill informed comment!

2 Likes

I don’t think you understand in the context he gave, nor understand Victorian or Massachusetts politics. Noting to do with population.

Victorian Liberals have generally been more socially liberal than those in other states. So what do you think it means when the birthplace of the Liberal party begins voting for Labor?

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining that.

I saw comments similar to mine above (Victoria vs Massachusetts) and without thinking about it carefully just referred it here.

1 Like

If we’re gonna make USA comparisons, I’d say NSW is New York + surrounding states in the US, VIC is California, QLD is a blend of Texas and Florida…

2 Likes

be careful when you call someone “ill informed”, then…

4 Likes

Does make me look a bit foolish yes. But anyway, Howard’s comment judging by online seems to have attracted universal criticism tonight.

Universal? Yeah, calm down. I doubt the comment will cause a ripple anywhere. Have a look at what happened in federal politics today alone. There were a lot of seismic comments made today which everyone is actually talking about.

1 Like