Federal Politics

This says a lot about the way that the parties communicate. That said, it’s fair to say its often easier to communicate the status-quo rather than change.

The Franking Credits “debate” is a good example of both sides not doing a good job of explaining why (it doesn’t help its a somewhat niche, yet complex issue) with the Libs simply not bothering to try, rather jumping to trying to slip the boot in.

1 Like

Have we got any updates on whether the pulling companies have changed their methodology since the last election? Given how inaccurate they were, I wonder if they’re any better this time around.

Yes they have.

What’s everyone’s mood like?

I know logically the odds favour Labor, especially with the polls the way they are, but my gut feeling is that we’re in for an upset Coalition victory. Just watching the speeches today, ScoMo used plain language, made some very direct appeals to voters individually and pushed his management of the economy and pandemic. A lot of it was spin, but I feel it may just be effective enough in the battleground seats in Queensland which Labor need. ScoMo is very cunning in this way - he knows he doesn’t have to tailor his language to “everyone” - rather he just needs to speak to the voters in swing electorates. It’s got me moderately concerned that as the six weeks drags on, more people might actually come back into the LNP fold.

Albo on the other hand was a bit frazzled and couldn’t really communicate clearly during his press conference. If he continues to perform like that, voters might sway back to the Coalition.

Love him or hate him, you have to admit - ScoMo is a very effective communicator.

They have indeed, and it’s important to note pollsters were spot on in their predictions of the South Australian election. Nationally though, we can’t rule out that pollsters are missing swings in key seats. If the swing is uniform 53-47, that’s a Labor government. But we know for instance in Queensland there’s the chance polling companies are missing substantial pockets of Liberal support, just like what happened in 2019.

2 Likes

Simply not - the left do not love our country (evident in the curriculum / media narrative ) and he’s appealing to conservatives.

I have started a thread for predictions for the 2022 Federal Election:

I would not be surprised if this happened. There are a lot of politically unengaged or ignorant who will fall for his vacuous patriotic statements and be oblivious to his last 3 years off f-ups. Plus there are also lots of people whose media consumption consists of News Corp rags/Sky News, Nine talkback radio and A Current Affair and who would see very little actual balanced coverage/reporting and lots of “Is Scott. Is good” messaging.

I don’t think he is but I cringe any time he opens his smirky mouth so maybe I’m not the best judge.

6 Likes
1 Like

Looks like News Corp finally passed primary school and learned how to make pie charts properly this time

While Labor is still in an election-winning position, it would be concerning for them that their primary vote has dropped four points over the last two weeks (even if two of those points have gone to The Greens). If it drops even more, the whole narrative of the campaign will shift significantly.

Not really that concerning or surprising coming out of a budget where money was thrown everywhere.

Albanese failing to land a significant blow in the polls again - starting to wonder if he can win this by his own efforts or will it be because Morrison (inevitably) does something stupid

1 Like

Albanese is the only thing making me question voting for Labor - and I think many people are probably feeling the same way. He may appeal to hardcore Labor fanatics, but those are not the people who will decide this election.

I suspect we will very quickly see them start pushing the senior ministry into the spotlight rather than making the whole campaign about “Albo” which has clearly been the plan. It also doesn’t bode well for leadership stability if Labor does get in.

1 Like

Why? The Libs are just as bad.

1 Like

You could always just tune out and it will be full of six weeks of Labor lies too.

Anyway I kept away from this thread for my own my mental health but now that a date has been called I do fall into question the boring element and personalities we have as front runners for the top spot. I mean after all Scott Morrison is not the sharpest tool in the closet so if we see another liberal form majority government (which I personally feel is most likely outcome and better for Australia in terms of handling business and economy but not much so for handling social issues) and Anthony Albenese. I am not sure what this guy stands for he’s hiding something and always take pre approved questions why can’t he do an off the cuff questions?
.I think Kevin Rudd was the only one that did pretty well in that regard.

Anyway I will eat my words if Labor wins the federal election. Don’t think they will be able to form a majority government on their own.

One of the key issues that will be Labor’s downfall is the Covid pandemic. Will they force lock down again ? It’s been two years and some normalcy has come back across the world or will they wrap Australians in a cotton wool? Maybe the leadership.

I don’t get why they couldn’t go with a female leader they have a few good women that could actually destroy Scomo.

That’s just me. Maybe I’m looking at this too simplistic. The next six weeks will make or break both parties.

1 Like

Are they? For better or worse Scott Morrison is the first PM to serve a full term since John Howard.

2 Likes

Sure but only managed that feat after Tony Abbott and Malcolm Turnbull ended up the same way as Julia Gillard and Kevin Rudd.

The only reason Scott Morrison has lasted this long is because the bloodletting from the 2018 spill and the 2019 election saw a lot of his factional enemies exit the stage. Abbott lost his seat, Mathias Cormann quit, Chris Pyne quit, Turnbull called a by election, Julie Bishop quit. Without any of them around, it was a fresh start for him.

I really doubt Peter Dutton will stay loyal in the next term of parliament - here is someone who during the final days of the Turnbull government declared it was ‘my time’ to be PM. The fact he has been so well behaved during this last term is remarkable.

3 Likes

This shows a lot of peoples misconception and lack of education about how a democracy and politics work.

My main concerns with Labor is that Anthony Albanese has never held a Treasurer, or even Shadow Treasurer, portfolio. And I also don’t rate many of his colleagues who could become Ministers if Labor form government. They don’t do much for me. Just leftovers from the Rudd/Gillard era. I also worry about internal disputes within the Labor Party if they form government. Couldn’t see Albanese lasting a full term.

I’ll save my predictions for the predictions thread.