Federal Politics

I would say this would have been a major factor. Based on the performance of the LNP there too I’d say we’re likely to hear fairly soon of a date. There’s not much time left as it is, if it’s May as has been speculated there’s only a couple of weeks left. I know it’s not Australia but Brexit/Theresa May is likely to be big news for this next week but after that does/doesn’t go through it will go back a couple of pages in the news again.

2 Likes

They’ll call the election a few days after the budget.

2 Likes

Yes; they have to wait for the budget, the opposition’s reply, then Parliament can rise with the issue of the writs for the election.

1 Like

The front page of The Australian today says Liberal strategists are planning a federal election on May 11, the day before Mother’s Day. That means he must call the election by April 7.

I assume they won’t have to pass any budget legislation in this sitting?

Well One Nation courting NRA funds is diabolical. Crazy stuff right here.

Pauline Hanson’s chief of staff James Ashby said in a statement that One Nation has asked Al Jazeera to show complete transparency and release the full context of conversations, and the party has referred the matter to ASIO and Australian Federal Police.

This sort of publicity doesn’t seem to lessen One Nation’s popularity with its constituents. If anything, their supporters see it as an unfair attack and it reinforces why they vote for the party.

1 Like

Do not have jurisdiction outside Australia.

What law was broken? They were courting foreign interference by meeting with the NRA. It seems One Nation should be investigated. These One Nation people are useless. Im guessing Sky will have Pauline on tonight to defend all of this.

4 Likes

This Teena McQueen person is a disgrace. Train wreck on QandA and paid contract at Sky to spout extremist views. Just another RWNJ that has been cultivated by Sky News. She is one of Paul Murray’s favourites. That guy is the worst judge of character ever.

3 Likes

But he will still not say he will put they last in the preferences. He is a weak man.

4 Likes

He doesn’t have to put ON last, just not second I would have thought.

I don’t agree at all. Putting ON before Labour and to a lesser extent the Greens is just terrible.

2 Likes

Says a lot that John Howard was capable of putting ON last yet Morrison is not.

4 Likes

Just sounds like a ploy from the Left to scrape votes away from conservatives.

Possibly it is. But to put them above labour and the greens means that the liberals agree with the views of One Nation more than they do of labour which i think is diabolical.

1 Like

What is the left these days?

I’ve been a liberal leaning voter my whole life, yet now I’m often labelled a leftist or if the left on social media. The last Victorian election was the first I’ve ever voted Labor (only 3 candidates in my seat) as I couldn’t bring myself to vote for a party that’s moved so far away from its base.

Hoping for a liberal independent in my seat come May, but not expecting much, so will be doing the same.

Is it me who’s changed or the Liberal Party? :thinking:

3 Likes

It’s definitely the Liberal party. They’ve lurched dramatically to the right and then try to pretend the far right was always their base. Complete liars. They’ve also been hijacked by hardcore Christians posing as mainstream people. Don’t be fooled.

1 Like

Well I can only really say from my personal perspective, I consider the left to be about total gender neutrality, pro-abortion, letting refugees freely enter the country from halfway across the world (bleeding hearts), “climate change” (really whether it is real or not doesn’t matter because we are one society - either we are sustainable or we are not), feminism (which I think as a concept is probably at the end), anti-Liberal for the sake of being anti-Liberal (playing politics), and hold a class warfare concept (rich v poor - a divisional concept which I mostly consider to be garbage because in reality everyone just tries to better themself).

On a personal level, I find the left doesn’t understand the concept of accountability for the value of money that comes from taxpayers and are more than happy to increase taxes and levies rather than reform existing expenditures to fund improvements.

Every additional dollar spent is an extra dollar in tax, duty or levy that has to be generated in what I consider to be a high tax country which results from profit generating public assets being continually sold off to private enterprise (by both sides) rather than using that profit generation to reduce and minimise the burden on tax/duty/levy/rate payers.

1 Like