Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

Perth is the first location in Australia to get California Pizza Kitchen.

1 Like

Interesting, great spot for a flagship location too (Hillarys Boat Harbour). They would barely have any brand recognition here so I’m quite surprised they’ve opened up. Great replacement for what was in the location before.

I’ve never even heard of California Pizza Kitchen. Is it big in the US (or California)? I don’t remember seeing it when I was over there.

Yeah it’s quite a big deal in LA at least.

OK just did a quick google and there seems to be a few of them in areas I spent some time in. I guess I just didn’t notice them.

Apparently, Burger King in the US has put a Whopper with in a burrito wrap and called it the “Whopperitio”.

Private equity firm Allegro has bought Pizza Hut’s Australian business from Yum! Brands.
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/pizza-hut-australia-has-been-taken-over-by-private-equity-group-allegro-2016-9

Maybe a new owner will bring in new capital and new ideas, which will make Pizza Hut competitive again in a market which has been dominated by Domino’s in the past few years?

1 Like

I have a great idea. They should open actual dine in restaurants and the roof can look the same as their logo and offer all you can eat.

5 Likes

Pizza Hut still have a dine in restaurant here in Townsville.

Is that the one at Willows?

Does it still have an all you can eat pizza, pasta and salad bar? I still mourn the loss of the dine in restaurants in my area.

Correct

It sure does! All you can eat Pizza, Pasta, Salad, Dessert and unlimited softdrink for $12.90 Mon-Fri

Pizza Hut lists their dine-in restaurants on their website:
https://pizzahut.com.au/dine-in-stores

Interesting that (in Victoria) these stores are located in country towns.

1 Like

That Business Insider story claims:

That cannot be right. There is no way Pizza Hut has such a huge market share. Takeaway includes all the takeaway food bars, fish & chip shops, pie shops, McDonald’s, etc. They probably have 10% of the pizza market.

1 Like

Fairfax says Domino’s has 50% of the pizza market, so Pizza Hut has a lot of ground to make up.

Saw on Twitter today that KFC is now selling Cola BBQ Wicked Wings: http://www.frugalfeeds.com.au/2016/news-kfc-cola-bbq-wicked-wings/
Has anyone tried them? Any good?

Pizza Hut has really lost a lot of ground in the last 5 years or so - Dominos absolutely nailed the millennial demographic in the sense that it has always been one (or two) steps ahead with online/mobile ordering, etc and has been the price leader for a very long time.

When I was in primary school on our birthdays we would often go to the ‘All you can eat’ Pizza hut restaurants which were everywhere in Melbourne. At some point though they shut down all of the restaurants for the smaller stores and became takeaway only. If Pizza Hut want to differentiate themselves from Domino’s maybe they need to bring more of those stores back, and probably with more gourmet or healthier options as well for the dine in part of the restaurant.

The country town ones are pretty well known and I know of people who have travelled just to go to them. Mostly because they have a childhood memory of going to them so will make the trek out to try it out. I went to one in Sydney CBD a couple years ago when I was up there for the nostalgia but unfortunately it’s all crap dried out pizza sitting in warmers and kind of ruined every great childhood memory I had. I know you go there for a cheap meal but if they improved it a little it has potential. Prob only really good if you have kids and go for a birthday because they’d be happy with that.

2 Likes

Oh I just noticed the CBD Sydney Pizza Hut on George Street that I did the all you can eat at closed down last year. That’s a shame.

McDonald’s have changed the name of their free Wi-Fi now that it is unlimited if you sign up for a My Maccas account. :smiley:

2 Likes

Does that mean your device might get “over-cooked” ? :open_mouth:

4 Likes