Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

Will be interesting to see how long they last. More than half the Oporto locations that have opened in WA since the brand was introduced in 2013 have closed (in many cases they just rebadged existing Red Rooster or Chicken Treat locations anyway).

One thing that’s begun to shit me recently is the way that McDonalds doesn’t have the full menu displayed on screens in the drive-thru.

I can’t really have burgers (bread doesn’t really agree with me) and if I need to eat something on the go I like the grilled chicken wraps they make. The problem is that half the time the wrap range isn’t displayed on screen.

Prices for many single menu items are similarly not on display.

When I go to HJ’s they always have the full menu on display in the drive-thru, but I can only get their brekky wraps so I can’t eat there for most of the day.

YES!

Though they could have renamed it the “Broadmeadows Burger” or “Box Hill Burger”, but yeah, doesn’t have the same ring to it, does it!

Or the Brighton Burger, given that’s actually located on the coast :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Perhaps call it Omelbo while you’re at it…

1 Like

Mr Crackles opened up on Bourke street in Melbourne last week. I walked past it today at lunch and there was a huge line down the street. The food looks yummmmm.

The place is originally from Sydney - they’ve been on Oxford Street for quite a while - maybe 5 years or so?

I hadn’t heard of them so I checked out their online menu…sounds so tasty!

Carl’s Jr. will open its first Victorian store in September this year, at Williams Landing in Melbourne’s west. It will be one of three new stores this year.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/melbourne/american-burger-chain-carls-jr-will-open-first-victorian-location-at-williams-landing/news-story/ae36d458a988fc1d7fbeda49bc08d3df

The first Pizza Hut restaurant in Australia, located in Belfield in Sydney’s southwest, has been demolished for redevelopment.

3 Likes

First HJs is still in it’s original location (Innaloo WA) but no sign / evidence of the original store remains.

Most of the time it appears that these ‘first locations’ for fast food chains end up closing because their original buildings eventually become obsolete and too small, and it becomes too expensive to renovate to modern standards. I think what killed Maccas, HJs and KFCs first stores was the lack of a drive thru in the first stores. They would have built newer stores nearby which were more appealing to customers, and so they would be able to close the first stores down.

These first stores are usually company owned, so they are usually more eager to hand them off to a franchisee or just close them altogether if they can’t sell the franchise off due to these problems.

I believe the first Maccas in Yagoona had these problems - it was a standalone store but didn’t have a Drive Thru and it would have cost way too much to modify the building to accommodate one. It was company owned and there were other franchised McDonalds stores just down the road, so it was a fairly easy decision to close it.

1 Like

So, who’s getting the special sauce?

Coles’ special burger sauce is almost identical to the Big Mac sauce. If not, I think it even tastes better.

2 Likes

Does anyone want to try the coffee with broccoli? Or the Boost smoothie with Vegemite?

2 Likes

I mean if you’re down to do it, so am I. when are we going on this date?

4 Likes

Can I come too? I’ll shout the broccoli.

1 Like

I got the Vegemite Boost today as I generally like anything with Vegemite in it (like those vegemite bagel crisps and remember that vegemite Cadbury chocolate… yummm). The Boost was OK but prob my least favourite of the vegemite flavoured things I’ve had. It didn’t really taste a lot like vegemite just tasted like a boost with a bit of an odd taste to it. I didn’t hate it but didn’t love it either.

3 Likes

I had the Vegemite Boost today and it tastes a bit like chocolate with a bit of salt. It taste a bit like the King William Chocolate

YES, THE MORE THE BETTER. I mean what could possibly happen, just a nice pure christian orgy!

1 Like