Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

One of them was near my accomodation during a work trip I had in 2015 to London. I couldn’t stand their coffees. The Starbucks a longer walk away was infinitely better, as was Caffe Nero (I had too many of their choc chip biscuits).

Who remembers this crap which was introduced in the wake of the Super Size Me controversy?

3 Likes

IIRC barely any of that lasted longer than about a year (if that, I don’t recall the Vege Burger or the Chicken Foldover appearing for more than a month or two). I believe a variant of the yoghurt thing still exists on the McCafe menu.

I remember the roast chicken salad copping a lot of flack for its calorie count with dressing added being equal to a Big Mac (what a surprise).

It’s also fascinating to see the obsession with fat free now that we’re progressing past the diet fad of cutting fat intake and focusing more on sugar (I can imagine that Yoghurt item would have had as much sugar as a sundae).

Fold over lasted ages! They were so good. I was working at maccas at the time. The sauce on the lean beef burger was like jet fuel.

1 Like

That reminds me - one of the things that always stands out for me about Red Rooster, is that the kilojoule counts of their meals is far above the norm at other fast food places.

A McChicken for example is 1810kJ and a KFC Fillet Burger is 1666kJ, compared to 2670kJ for the Original Crispy Burger at Red Rooster, or you can eat a whole regular Twister combo at KFC for fewer joules than just the Flayva Wrap.

It’s very noticable on their menus given the labelling requirements - they have to be by far the worst of the major chains for that.

$3.95 for a burger? Now that’s what I miss.

1 Like

Yes I was working there when they introduced all that. I seem to recall the Toasties were quite popular but I think they’re also long gone.

It was around that time they got rid of making the hotcakes in-store which were decent IMO for pre-made microwaved crap. I can’t believe they still sell those and people buy them.

Would be nice to have a Vegie burger like Hungry Jacks.

As was I. The Foldover was great! Good mix of grilled chicken pieces and yummy shredded tasty cheese. Messy to make though.

I have some promotional stuff from around that era you guys might like for some nostalgia:

Ragin%20CajunChicken%20Delight%20BurgeroutbackpavlovaNTM(TOTW)%20-%20Vegetable%20Curry%20PuffsNTM(TOTW)%20-%20Tandoori%20Chicken%20BurgerBacon%20%26%20Egg%20RollNTM%20-%20Caramel%20DreamNTM-HamCheese%26PineappleToastedSandwichNTM-CreamCheese%26JamBagelNTM-RomanoChickenNTM-HerbBreadNTM-TiramisuDessertRoast%20Chicken%20-%20Small

McFlurry

TransliteCatalogue.pdf (2.8 MB)
mcd signman01_extissue_e.pdf (918.3 KB)
mcd signman02_extissue_e.pdf (662.0 KB)
hamper signage.pdf (455.2 KB)

14 Likes

I miss the $2.95 happy meal and it was easy to order, not with 500 choices!

I’m glad that it’s happening. Fat isn’t inherently bad but sugar is worse.

2 Likes

Yes!!! I also worked there during that time (2000 to 2004). It was revolutionary to bring in so many new elements to a menu that had been pretty standard up until that point.

Also in 2004, they brought in Deli Choices rolls to combat the popularity of Subway.

1 Like

Always had a lot of time for those

5 Likes

No surprise that the Breakfast Cereals were a failure, I mean who the hell goes to a place like McDonalds for a bowl of corn flakes?

2 Likes

They were actually really nice - the Turkey and Cranberry and Honey Mustard Ham in particular. I don’t think consumers really caught on to them.

That quote is basically why nothing other than the basic burger/fries/nuggets really works for them, despite how good new products can be.

3 Likes

images

1 Like

What about 30c Cones…cheapest cones in town.

2 Likes

Speaking of McDonalds menu stuff from the 2000s, not the best picture but here’s one which I think fits into that general theme. Taken at the (unfortunately short lived) “Milk Bar Café 2223” at Mortdale in Sydney’s South last August:
QuarterPounder

As for the New Tastes Menu, SaladsPlus and Deli Choices, some of those items were OK but they probably didn’t catch on with the general public because most people probably just think of Maccas as the place to get their Big Mac or whatever favourite burger.

Yep. Some of the gourmet burgers are probably twice that now?!

Geez inflation has hit hard in the last 14 years. When they had Deli Choices, Quiznos Sub was also around. I went into their outlet at West Lakes in SA, they didn’t last too long in Australia.

I think the only burger that isn’t around $5 is the McDoubles

1 Like