Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

Yes I live near one of the abandoned Red Roosters, and Carl’s Jnr is the only chain I can think of that is not already nearby. The Red Rooster franchisee allegedly did a runner with unfulfilled catering orders and the website was still taking catering orders and payments weeks after the store was abandoned.

2 Likes

I had the Red Rooster Loaded chips with extra Cheese and Bacon. Like the new Avenger movie, it was a bit of a disappointment. Bugger all extra Bacon and Cheese. A little bit on the soggy side too.

No wonder they’re going under.

I’ve had Oporto a few days ago, quite disappointing, not like how it used to be.

Interesting as a Red Rooster will be opening up shortly in a nearby suburb about 10 minutes away from me.

I didn’t really hear of Oporto until I was on holidays to the South Coast of NSW and there are quite a few of them up that way. There was a Oporto opened about just over a year ago not too far from me. I’ve been there a few times and they seem to take quite a while to cook the meal. That store hasn’t really been that busy anyway

The Oporto kiosk at Melbourne’s QV complex closed a few weeks ago, however the one at nearby Melbourne Central is still open.

The one thing I’d miss most about Red Rooster would be the MCG catering outlets. Getting a proper Rippa Sub from them during a match is great. The generic catering stuff just doesn’t compare.

Hopefully at the very least they can figure out how to make frozen pre-packaged Rooster Rolls and sell them in supermarkets - I need that fix.

The same at suncorp in brisbane. the chips especilly are worth a trek at half time

Well there’s the On The Menu Roast Chicken Roll which is pretty much the same as the Rooster Roll and it’s sorta edible.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/248464/ready-go-eat-rolls-chicken

They’re available at servos, aren’t they? I remember trying a pizza flavoured roll around 5 years ago and it was absolutely delightful. Don’t know if they still sell em though.

Pret A Manger really need to hurry up and open in Australia. I just can’t do any other “fast food” after experiencing them.

1 Like

I really don’t understand that place. London seemed to love them but their coffee was revolting, as was their food.

Although I do have fond memories of having a 5am sandwich and cappuccino in the Waterloo station Pret whilst waiting for the Tube to open. Maybe I do want them…

After Starbucks failed (albeit it is growing once again now that it’s in the hands of the local owners of 7Eleven) I think any other multinationals are a little scared to try and open up a Cafe chain in Australia, even though I feel that a chain like Pret A Manger would do quite well in the right locations.

I’m amazed a business like Costa Coffee hasn’t come over here to try and capture the UK ex-pat market.

1 Like

Red Rooster should drop the S and add more strippers. They already have the perfect name for the joint:

5 Likes

Absolutely, they gotta embrace it Maccas style.

Is that actual signage, or has the S been photoshopped out on it?

Just within the past week a drive-thru Starbucks open up just down the road from me in Coolaroo on Pascoe Vale Road. I believe this is the first drive-thru store in Victoria.

Other than that, the closet Starbucks store is at Highpoint Shopping Centre which opened late last year.

The S was regularly pinched from stores for years. Eventually they changed over to the name on a single sign rather than seperate signs for each letter.

Take this one on street view - looks like they’ve just painted the S in because the red cover kept getting pinched.

5 Likes

It’s a wonder that they didn’t make it a single sign sooner.

1 Like

My local was targetted by very accurate rock throwers a few times. Rooster by day, rooter by night. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

It’s my local in Manhattan and I agree the coffee is shite, as it is mostly everywhere in NYC. But I find the food amazing as a “take away” option - the ability to walk in and pick a hot breakfast wrap or soup, off the shelf, is just a game changer. The quality of the ingredients is amazing.