Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

Amen to that.

What about the KFC in Glenroy fairly close to Glenroy station? Still open? That opened sometime around 1988/89 from memory and was fairly small, especially compared to the KFC at Broadmeadows that opened near Bunnings with a drive thru about 15 years later.

I think that’s now a Domino’s. Lack of drive through wouldn’t have helped there. That and the Glenroy shops appear to have seen more buoyant days.

The Glenroy KFC store is now a Domino’s. Domino’s moved in a few years ago if I recall correctly. Maybe longer.

There’s also a KFC across the road in the food court at Broadmeadows Central. That only recently got a face lift and that store isn’t even that old

Thank you Menulog and Metro One for the bounty I am about to consume - because I cannot be bothered to cook tonight. Jets games and brutal hockey games take a lot out of you.

Which they then managed to f##k up. How do you get burger and no drink from HSP and 1.25L drink?

3 Likes

You lucky bastard. I only have a pretty good Thai place nearby available on Menulog which I’ve ordered from on a regular basis. They have a low minimum - $15, and a pad thai + egg fried rice ends up being $15.50 so that’s a great option for a night in.

All the delicious fried carb places (i.e. kebabs/burgers/etc) are either only available on Uber Eats for exorbitant prices ($30 for a HSP meal with drink), or have stupidly high minimums ($40+).

Ubereats / Deliveroo sound like a nightmare where you guys live!

I never have an issue finding something under $20/per person and they never overcharge compared to the in-restaurant price.

1 Like

To be fair, I live in a fairly spread-out area in terms of places where restaurants are located.

One of the things I found infuriating with Uber Eats is that twice I ordered something from a kebab shop and was quoted 20-30 minutes on the delivery.

The order was ready about 15 minutes after I placed the order, but the most frustrating part was that both times Uber had provisioned a bloody bicycle to travel the 3km from the shop to my place.

My area, Maroubra, has some of the widest and best planned roads and probably the lightest traffic of any suburb anywhere near the Sydney CBD. A bicycle simply is not suitable for deliveries in an area like mine. It might be in places like Newtown, Bondi, Leichhardt, but certainly not anywhere south of Kingsford or Randwick in the SE suburbs. Motor scooters and cars are perfectly fine for deliveries around here.

It took the guy about 45 minutes to get to my place (again, 3km!) I had a cold kebab and soggy chips by the end of it. Not very pleased for $30.

1 Like

New kilojoule labelling laws will be introduced in Victoria from tomorrow (May 1). Most fast food outlets and supermarkets will be required to show kilojoule content of ready-to-eat food and drinks, along with the average adult daily energy intake of 8,700 KJ.

2 Likes

The big chains already have the kj on the menu boards, but I’ve noticed a lot of the independent takeaways and lesser known smaller chains have no information available. So those Victorian laws are enforcing what has already happened with McDonald’s etc, but the local burger shop will still have no kj info available.

I think NSW has had a similar law in place since 2010. Not sure about what they’re targeting in supermarket chains labelling ready to eat foods though - I thought they already had the kilojoules labelled on the product’s packaging itself on basically everything in the store to comply with federal nutrition labelling requirements.

I know I’ve seen the kilojoule count on the price tickets on some items in Woolworths recently - seemingly getting out ahead of this. It’s essentially displayed just like the unit pricing is.

Trouble brewing for Red Rooster franchisees.

Oh no, I love Red Rooster Rippa Subs!

2 Likes

Vale: the old rippa sub rolls.

From memory they went from oven baked to those crappy hot dog type ones.

1 Like

Great time for Carls Jr to jump onto the sites. I hadn’t had Red Rooster in ages, was always hit and miss, cheaper too to just go to maccas.

1 Like

Won’t affect the Oporto’s in SA as the Peregrine corporation owns the franchise here.

Peregrine, that’s On The Run is it?

They nearly own everything in SA, even Krispy Kreme in SA