Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

yeah def a drive thru/takeaway business not really an eat-in

Rooster Rolls are good for a reason.

The blow is better at Hungry Jacks. Who said HJ’s don’t serve Happy Meals.

1 Like

Anyone who has eaten Hungry Jacks before.

They got a head start on the other chains with offering Delivery, but now that everyone has caught up they’re back to not having a USP again.

Drive past one daily and only ever see a handful of cars in the drive thru. They always seem to be busy in food courts though.

I wouldn’t touch their burgers but I do prefer their breakfast wraps. Seldom eat them because every time I go into the store closest to me I feel like I should’ve brought along a bucket of hot water, Domestos and a scrubbing brush.

4 Likes

And gloves! Don’t forget the gloves!

2 Likes

Some Mouthwash, and the Hazmat unit if you eat a burger :fire_engine::fire_engine::fire_engine:

1 Like

Red Rooster actually tastes pretty good, especially the Rippa sub, the whole Roast Chicken & the Chips. At least the food at the local Red Rooster is actually hot, unlike the food at the local KFC, which is either lukewarm or stone cold most of the time.

I usually just get a Texas bbq wrap and chips … unlike back a few years ago when I would get the chicken dinner, chips and a couple of strips washed down with a mousse - I was eating too much.

1 Like

Ooo yeah, my favourite! I still wish they used the original ‘chewy’ bread roll though.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s very weird how every HJs I’ve been to always has greasy tables, sticky floors and the drink machine usually has an overflowing drip tray. But it is quite cheap, so I’ll give them credit for that.

Their toilets are usually cleaner than what I see at Maccas, though they do look quite dated. HJ’s is what I’d imagine fast food restaurants like Maccas and Burger King in the USA are like. Maccas here is probably a high end restaurant in comparison to Mcdonalds in the USA.

I do prefer the burgers at HJ’s because of the flame grilling.

I remember there was a Red Rooster in Westfield Liverpool that was open until recently (maybe 4 years ago?). All the time it was open, it was shockingly dead. I think I only saw one person buy something in the 20-30 minutes I was seated in the food court.

I also remember as a kid having my 5th or 6th birthday party at Red Rooster in Maroubra Junction above the Golden Grove Hotel in 2000 or 2001. The shop closed about a year or two later.

Interestingly enough, they tried opening a Red Rooster again in Maroubra Junction at the corner of the Pacific Square complex only very recently, and it bit the dust within 12 months. It was interesting because it was formerly the site of a very successful Burger King restaurant which closed after the Hungry Jacks court case. Ah…fond childhood memories of that place.

I find it odd for a drive-thru oriented business that their signature product - the quarter or half chicken - is the most inappropriate food to eat in the car. You have to sit in your car parked on the side of the road trying to wrestle a bit of chicken off the carcass using the flimsy plastic knife and fork. If you get upsold the gravy for $1, you have to watch you don’t spill it all over the car while dipping your chips/chicken in it.

I tried the rippa rolls and all that, and I don’t really fancy them. The bread is too strange for my liking. It seems to be made from the same weird dough that KFC uses for their dinner rolls.

It looks like Red Rooster made a recent push into diversifying their portfolio with fish and lamb on the menu. I was keen on the fish idea, which is why I went into the Red Rooster drive-thru the other day in the first place. Turned out that the RR I went to didn’t have the fish thingy on the menu, which sucked. So I just got a quarter chicken instead.

So a few days later I tried looking for another RR with fish on the menu. They did have this lamb promotion on the menu which was some kebab style wrap thing (they also had rolls and a salad bowl thing), so I gave that a try. It was very modestly sized and the person on the grill had wrapped the wrapping paper into the wrap while folding it up, which meant that I had to deconstruct the wrap (spilling some of the contents on my car and pants) in order to ensure that I wasn’t getting paper in my diet. It tasted pretty good, but wasn’t much compared to a real kebab.

Then I went to another RR yesterday looking for fish…nope. Had to get a quarter chicken (the lamb was available but I felt more like chicken). It looks like fish is still advertised on the website, so I guess these individual franchises are simply choosing not to carry the fish?

the foodcourt red roosters (at least the ones i’ve seen in brisbane) seem to do a roaring trade.

I think part of the thing with red rooster is the location. my local one is out of the way and i would guess they pay stuff all in rent which helps keep the cost down.

also, the drive though does do a good trade.

1 Like

My local Red Rooster seems to get more people ordering though the drive though than eating inside the restaurant itself, been that way for years.

Also Wollongong, but it’s been available there since the all day breakfast started.

re Hungry Jacks

I love their big brekky wrap, but am on a bit of a health kick so haven’t had one in ages. Almost anything else I’ve ever gotten from Hungry Jacks I usually regretted. Only other thing I really loved was the spicy tenderbites they had 2(?) summers ago but they sold out quick. Thought they might have done them again by now. Probably the best part of those though was the Heinz 'Seriously Good" Aioli. I use that at home now. Yum.

Hipster Vegemite on toast at a cafe in Newcastle.

1 Like

Yeah, no thanks. I’d rather do the work myself than someone dumping vegemite on a cutting board

How gross would that board be :eyes:

2 Likes

You could buy 2 whole jars of the stuff for less than that.

1 Like