Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

I was told it was to protect their copyright in each market. I don’t know how true that is, but the gist was In-N-Out had registered their trademark in these countries with potentially opening down the track but to keep it renewed and not falling out of licence, they had to actually do something with it in those countries within a certain period of time.

1 Like

The new Krispy Kreme store in Bulleen in Melbourne’s east plans to give away 10,000 doughnuts across three days for free, when it opens next Friday week (February 9).
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east/free-krispy-kreme-doughnuts-to-celebrate-opening-of-bulleen-drivethrough-store/news-story/b45eae3f50cda33bb980f7449de43b78

Y’know, I live 5-10 minutes to the Krispy Kreme in Perth, but I never went there… perhaps I should go some day…

Krispy Kremes - Tasmania’s biggest Airport Import item.

2 Likes

They everywhere near me :frowning: makes it hard to lose weight when I need to.

MOP donuts are expanding here fast. I like them but the price (I thought Krispy Kreme was bad)

Don’t like MOP… they’re made to look good on instagram rather than to taste any good…

2 Likes

They taste like something you’d mop the floor with. Once was enough for me.

1 Like

Just found out they are building a brand new KFC near Kingsway Shopping Centre in Western Australia. Currently they have a Macca’s, Red Rooster, Nando’s, and a Subway, and now a KFC to add to the list! It’ll be interesting to see if it will take on the new look retro inspired Branding KFC introduced mid last year. :thinking:

1 Like

Ah, sweet!

1 Like

In Sydney I reckon the best BBQ chicken is from the Dulwickh Hill Chicken Shop. They don’t have the best salad or chips but the chook is stunning.

And much bigger than the pidgeon sized chickens they sell at Coles and Woolies.

Any other suggestions for the best BBQ bird? I am willing to travel!

I once ate a quarter of BBQ chicken in a chicken shop at Ryde shopping centre in Sydney a few years ago, and it was the best chicken I had ever tasted.

1 Like

Another great chicken shop is http://www.eljannah.com.au. I’ve eaten at Granville and Blacktown - excellent chicken and great tasting garlic sauce.

2 Likes

Not in Sydney but in Melbourne Foxes Den has my favourite roast Chicken. They have two types the house special one which are marinated in lemon and herbs which makes the chicken extra juicy, and also a Morrocan spiced one which is delicious.

5 Likes

Next time I am in Melbourne I will need to taste the chicken from Foxes Den. Great website too - I love the cartoon characters. Top name for a chicken outlet!

Sydney style Chicken shops are quite rare in Perth, however the (appropriately named) “Charcoal Chicken” outlet in Dianella is a fantastic example… and they do incredibly good (and cheap) lamb ribs as well.

4 Likes

Great article in The Age this weekend about the American Doughnut Kitchen at Melbourne’s Queen Victoria Market, which has become a popular attraction. I had been to the market a few times but only ate the hot jam doughnuts once. They are sweet but can be quite messy.

I never realised hot jam doughnuts are a uniquely Victorian thing. I do enjoy a good one, American and Dandee are probably the best. Never got the hype around Olympic at Footscray station. Preston market aren’t bad either.

I had never heard of hot jam doughnuts until maybe a year or two ago. Even after visiting Melbourne three or four times, I had never actually come across one until reading some article online.

Carl’s Jr. announced three weeks ago that it would open 30 stores across Victoria, starting with its first Melbourne store sometime this year. Looking forward to try a burger there. Where do you think the first store will be located?

The pattern appears to be that they’re opening locations in areas which have fairly low land values and purely stand-alone restaurants (no shopping centres). Melbourne has a very high concentration of these large stand-alone businesses on arterial roads.

The burgers are really good at the Bateau Bay location on the Central Coast. I’ve found myself going there with friends on drives very often. I’m kind of disappointed that they aren’t opening any more stores in NSW, but I suppose the land values in Sydney are too high for them to consider expanding there.

1 Like