Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

Only if you are recommending good craft beer or a nice small batch spirit

Boom Tish!

2 Likes

I think you’ll find that 100% of people who consume water will die. I think water is therefore the leading cause of death. It does however take longer to affect some people.

9 Likes

100% of ALL people who post on Media Spy will die too… oh wait, what I am doing here???

1 Like

Mrs Mac’s has won a five-year contract to supply pies to the new Perth Stadium. It came one day after the AFL, WA Government and WA Football Commission finally came to a deal to play AFL matches at the venue.

2 Likes

Taco Bell Annerley, Brisbane: Secret tastings in lead up to grand opening

Includes video walk through of new store.

Store is licensed (beer, margaritas)

SECRET tastings and brand recognition tests at an iconic Brisbane market led to fast-food giant Taco Bell choosing Queensland for its Australian revival.

The US franchise had twice failed Down Under but this time they took a vastly different approach before settling on a store at Annerley, on Brisbane’s southside, which opens on Saturday.

Some 12 months ago, Queensland-based company Collins Foods, which holds a licence for Taco Bell, spent a week at Rocklea’s Brisbane MarketPlace conducting random taste and branding tests.

1 Like

Looks like they’re using some elements (especially relating to the store selling alcohol) found in the flagship Taco Bell Cantina in Las Vegas in the US.
It’ll be very interesting to see how this turns out for Collins.

Might just walk 200m and check this out… multiple times a day.

Damn, looks like they are going for the ‘upmarket’ zone - the GyG/Salsas/MadMex style of expensive and slow service.

Sad.

Mrs Mac’s has produced three savoury and one sweet pie exclusively for sale at Perth Stadium: butter chicken, beef rendang, premium Angus, apple and cinnamon.

1 Like

LOL. Every cow in Australia is Angus cattle so that’s just BS.

I didn’t know Mrs Macs made sweet pies. I’d probably try for curiosities sake.

I didn’t know it either. The sweet pie won’t be available anywhere else.

They didn’t make sweet pies before. They have only just made them for the new stadium. Thats the point of the article.

1 Like

Snag Stand is closing by the end of 2017, after its owner Collins Foods (which also runs KFC and Sizzler restaurants here) posted a 17.5 per cent fall in half-year profit.

1 Like

Not surprised that they’ve dropped Snag Stand, I always found it incredibly overpriced for what they offered even if the base concept was relatively good.

It’ll be interesting to see the future of Taco Bell and Sizzler though - Sizzler certainly seems to be getting phased out (perhaps in favour of Taco Bell?)

They have made sweet pies before, but it’s been a very low key approach. They were either sold at their factory shop in Morley in Perth or selected supermarkets and service stations.

I can remember a Snag Stand opening at Melbourne Central (on the ground floor corner of La Trobe and Swanston Streets) in 2015 but it only lasted a few months.

1 Like

Retail Food Group is in a stack of trouble.

What happened to Michel’s Patisserie? 10 years ago I remember they were everywhere and I went to the local ones all the time with my parents. Now they’re nowhere to be found! Plus there’s no proper advertising going on anymore. I remember TV ads for Michel’s Patisserie and Donut King from many years ago, but none from this decade. Management at RFG is clearly incompetent to allow such a spectacular downfall.

The Michel’s Patisseries and Donut Kings that closed down have mostly become independent stores, or franchises of other brands.

1 Like

Michel’s Patisserie at The Glen shopping centre closed down 3-4 months ago due to the redevelopment of that part of the complex. Demolition is still under way.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the Michel’s at Bella Vista in Sydney had closed, it had been open for about seven years. I only ever bought a coffee and a match stick or vanilla slice as the hot pies etc always looked a couple of days old, and they were.

This week I saw that Brumby’s at Majura Park in Canberra had closed, no great loss I think as Baker’s Delight has better bread. As for Gloria Jean’s, it has rapidly gone down hill since it was bought by Retail Food Group, the stores are often dirty, the tables are not cleaned fast enough and the range of food is pitiful, while other newer coffee chains like The Shed and Project Origin have better tasting coffee and offer freshly made food. The larger format coffee chains Coffee Club and Caffe Cherry Beans are miles ahead of Gloria Jean’s. It is sad what has become of GJ’s … I remember two of their first cafes in the Broadway shopping centre in the late 1990s, one in the mall and the other in Collins bookshop. Back then they had a proper cafe menu, the coffee was good, and they sold quirky coffee cups and plungers, but nowadays you be better off getting a coffee at McDonald’s! Canberra’s own Coffee Guru, btw is great.