Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

Zambrero too.

I feel the only way that Taco Bell can do well here is if they’re cheap, like they are in the US - If they’re overpriced they have no chance.

1 Like

Knew I forgot one. I have only tried Guzman at Centrepoint and it was disgusting.

Yeah they’re all very underwhelming IMO - Australia has always really struggled to get Mexican food right - both in a fast food and a restaurant setting.

They were virtually across the road from each other in the George St cinema strip in Sydney. At the time Taco Bell was ok. The later reincarnation was terrible. I remember trying it at a dual branded KFC/Taco Bell at Bankstown Airport and it was beyond bland.

Has anyone been to Taco Bell in Mexico? :slight_smile: very authentic Mexican food.

imageimage image

3 Likes

Few weeks ago my friend and I stopped at GyG before the movies and for some reason struck up a conversation with a Mexican woman living here forin six months. I asked her if GyG was anything similar to the food of her home country.

Her answer was very direct :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve eaten in a restaurant in Cuidad Juarez, Mexico just over the border from El Paso, USA, and the food was nothing like the Mexican fast food joints here.

2 Likes

I agree, I would rather a Sizzler.
I miss not having those here in Newcastle, we used to have 2 of them in the late 80s/ early 90s.
I remember loving their cheese toast - I would usually eat 3 or 4 slices of those.

Same here. Their cheese toast was sooo yum! Their pasta and soft serve ice cream (can’t go past all the toppings of course :wink:) was also great. I used to get my money’s worth every time I went to my local. Shame most of them have shut now.

After having not eaten at one for decades, visiting one in Perth late last year brought back so many memories! Great times.

1 Like

Ooh yes, how could I forget the soft serve ice cream!

And how you could pile on any amount and combination of stuff like chocolate tidbits, chocolate topping and hundreds & thousands you liked…

1 Like

Definitely. I’m hungry just thinking about it! :yum:

1 Like

Along with possibly having Sydney’s last Pizza Hut dine-in restaurant in nearby St Andrews and until recently the last Blockbuster Video store in Sydney, it’s to my understanding that the Macarthur region (AKA, TV_Expert territory! :slightly_smiling_face:) is also home to the very last Sizzler restaurant in NSW with their Campbelltown outlet.

Elsewhere in Sydney the Carramar Sizzler (which I last visited in 2012) closed down a couple of years ago and has since become a Rashay’s, while the St George Sizzler closed down earlier this year IIRC.

I’m not sure how many Sizzler restaurants are still open in Queensland & WA, the only other states where they survived beyond the 1990s/Early 2000s when most of them closed down.

2 Likes

4 remain in Perth. It’ll be interesting to see how much longer they survive for, only 1 has closed down here in recent years.

5 Likes

One that I know of in Browns Plains in Brisbane, and I believe there’s one in Townsville or Gladstone.

1 Like

I was at the Mount Druitt Pizza Hut a few months before it closed down. The place was incredibly busy, but everyone dining was morbidly obese! It truly was a sight to behold.

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

What is with Brisbane getting everything first?

First it was Carls Jr (first metro), then Johnny Rockets now Taco Bell, I am not sure why the attraction is unless their research shows more Brisbane people eat takeaway more than the rest of the country!

Is Johnny Rockets back?

Is the Dine In at Ballarat still open?

Yep now open at Emporium, Brisbane

1 Like