Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-australia/sushi-mice-amid-the-sushi-rice-at-westfield-marion-food-court/news-story/937822c9561e0ad0ff9b1ee4a8f28933

They “unfortunately” had to throw all the food out?? I’d say it was fortunate that they did.

1 Like

If you have been paying attention the Ads played during the break lately, you may have spotted KFC’s newest Ad “Bringing The Bird To Birdsville”, and with it debuts a new revised version of the Colonel Sanders Logo, returning to a more classic version, dropping the Apron body making it more reminiscent of Logos past, and a new “Finger lickin’ good” Wordmark, with more of a script font than the previous handwritten style font. The classic red bars are also back, as seen at the top right.

It looks like KFC Australia are finally adopting the Branding style that KFC America debuted in 2015, which introduced a modernised take of the classic packaging from the 70s and 80s, returning the red and white stripes, and reverting to a more classic Colonel Sanders logo. The Aussie version of the logo lives in a Circle, but can be used without it as seen on the packaging. You can read more on the US Rebrand here: http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_identity_and_packaging_for_kfc_by_grand_army.php

Image of the US Packaging:

KFC Australia had been slowly introducing the new packaging for the past few months, with their Tabasco Marinated Chicken and Popcorn Chicken Buckets carrying the new look. Pictures of the new packaging have also been posted to their Facebook Page from time to time:

A taste of the new Chips packaging in their latest “Dippin’ Bucket” Ad:

The last Global KFC logo change was in 2006, but our packaging has changed multiple times since then, with the most current being the “sogood” version since 2011 which was tweaked to add the “finger lickin’ good” slogan a few years back.

Survivor Australia’s end-credits also have the new KFC logo:

I personally like the new look, it’s a nice nod to the past, and we’ve been overdue for a packaging refresh! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Agree about the nice to see a classic nod to the past return. It seems like everything old is New again. My local Subway were very quick to get everyone and everything in their new old style logo… With exception to the external signage outside. I wonder how long it will take them to rebrand every store?

Back on the KFC thing… Similar to Big W in this question of why does everything need to be inside a circle? What marketing genius thinks that everything should now be placed inside a circle and this is going to bring all the crowds back in the door.

4 Likes

Presumably they were thinking of how best to update their twitter avatar, and rebranding the whole business to fit with the circles was the obvious solution.

5 Likes

Ha that’s what came to mind too.

Everyone knows that circular logos are the best logos.

1 Like

Dead set - reading this thread this morning has made me decide to buy some KFC for lunch. I have not had any fried chicken for ages. I am excited about the bucket of chicken, chips and gravy that is about to be on my table. Fingers crossed for lots of legs.

3 Likes

I’m like a massive advocate for KFC, but I’m going to have to ask you to calm down. You’ll surely disappoint yourself and you’ll end up with a greasy mess and water-flavoured seasoning (at some stores).

4 Likes

@nickatnights

And not to mention a headache, sick stomach and be farting all afternoon! :grin:

Enjoy regardless :+1:

1 Like

Funny they do this literally a couple months after they’ve completed rebranding all the stores to the previous new style “apron” logo.

2 Likes

My three piece feed from the KFC in Sans Souci was delicious. Seriously good. I forgot what I have been missing out on when I bit into the first drumstick. I licked my fingers and it was good. I love it when food makes me smile.

4 Likes

You got ripped off! Three pieces in a bucket?? :smiley:

3 Likes

Size isn’t everything. It’s the quality and my imagination that counts.

Mind you I am considering getting a bucket of chicken and eating it without using my hands. I’m going to put my face in the bucket and when I pull out there is only going to be bones left.

4 Likes

Perhaps it’s because Colonel Sanders logo looks better in a lock-up variant than just on its own, as it could clash or look awkward on its own on a background, BIG W just seems to use a circle as it plays some part in their branding.

Most versions of the KFC logo have been in a lock-up variation, the current; soon to be previous one, was the Apron Colonel in a KFC Bucket Shape or circle in other markets, and the previous 1997-2006 logo was in a square, rectangle and/or also in a circle, which explains why the new logo felt familiar to the previous ones, to me at least.

It’s also interesting how they don’t use the “KFC” Wordmark next to the logo anymore with the exception of packaging. I guess it’s kind of like the case with the ABC Classic Worm logo; people just know what it is without the name next to it.

My question is; how will they adopt the new logo and branding in the current signage? Most KFCs have either a square sign, a rounded rectangle sign or even the bucket version at some locations, so I wonder if there’s a significant change to the signage in the future for the new branding. :thinking:

This is the new look style signage the US is adopting in their KFCs:

A few years back, I actually convinced a friend to buy a PS4 after I was just casually telling them all about it over the phone! :smile: Maybe being a salesman could be one of my specialties. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not quite all of them, I spotted a KFC on Great Eastern Highway in Perth a few months back, still using part of the 1980s/1990s Signage! :wink:

Glad you enjoyed your meal, a few years back at one of my Mate’s Birthday, I had my first KFC meal in quite a long time, last time I did then was in 2003 when I had Kids Meal! Though the original recipe chicken was stored in a cold esky as it was bought early before I arrived, but it was still enjoyable. I had much better experiences later, their Hot Rods that returned this year were to die for! :heart_eyes::poultry_leg: So good.

1 Like

$20 Streetwise Feast is where it’s at

2 Likes

No reason they couldn’t use this design here. A lot of the modern design KFCs in Australia look similar to this anyway.

Nobody said it had to be on its own. Just don’t think it needs to be a circle. You have referenced the US design a couple of times which does not use a circle but rather the old red stripes as the lockup.

The US seemed to start to reintroduce ‘Kentucky Fried Chicken’ into their branding for a while - looks like no trace of it here though.

That said, strange if they are taking cues from the US KFC and trying to apply them here, given their comparative lack of success.

1 Like

True, most KFCs are based on a International Design. It looks nice, hopefully they do, but it might be tweaked for the Aussie circle logo if that is the main one for all promotional material.

The Colonel logo is used without any form of a lock-up on the packaging, so it can work. In the US, they only use the “KFC” or “Kentucky Fried Chicken” Wordmark, with Colonel only mostly seen on the packaging with the “KFC” Wordmark. The actual “Bringing The Bird To Birdsville” Food Truck actually uses a form of the red and white bars Colonel logo lock-up:

The current logo for KFC Trinidad and Tobago. That price is in TTD not USD. Currently 1 USD = 6.7 TTD.

scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/20368802_10154867078506589_7668311441643872135_o.jpg?oh=956f77a5c6f22688632247ceacb255a9&oe=5A34A3AC

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/20476500_10154874154016589_2445977776508357181_n.png.jpg?oh=8840a4f8462adb8b692f270e52954857&oe=59FE2EC9

4 Likes

That was also also our current logo as well, with the KFC Bucket Shape lock-up, though our version of the “finger lickin’ good” slogan looks a little different.