Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

KFC in Asia has launched the ‘Chizza’, basically pizza with a fried chicken base.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/food/the-kfc-chizza-is-not-coming-to-australia-and-fast-food-fans-are-furious/news-story/95849ea48e05969f8843ee70d894ba1f

Has anyone had Oporto? A new store will open near me. It will join McDonalds, KFC, Red Rooster and Hungry Jacks within the space of a few hundred meters from each other. One has to wonder how will it survive with those four already there.

I’ve never heard of the franchise and it doesn’t seem to have a big presents in Victoria with seven current stores. The closet one to me being Highpoint Shopping Centre or at Melbourne Airport.

Oporto has nice chargrilled chicken and you can choose the bastings you like. Their burgers are pretty average. When I am waiting for a late night flight at Melbourne airport I generally go there as there are limited decent cheap options in the Qantas terminal at Melbourne airport.

I’m surprised that you havn’t heard of Oporto as they have been around for as long as I can remember. I’m also surprised that there are only 7 current stores in Victoria… there definitely used to be more but I think a few must have shut down. There was one at QV in the CBD but that closed late last year and looks like the Southland one closed too. I always remember there being one at Melb Airport and Melbourne Central too.

Personally if those were my only choices in that small area I would probably pick Oporto. Slightly better quality take away than the generic chains.

O.O

5 Likes

Oporto is average at best.

It’s as mediocre and inconsistent as Red Rooster, not surprising considering its the same company.
They closed a whole bunch of Chicken Treats (WA specific brand) here to rebadge as Oporto in the hope that they’d do better, but apparently they’ve done worse.

2 Likes

Red Rooster is much better than Oporto. Dem chips :yum:

3 Likes

Oporto has been kicking around Sydney for many years now.

As per Squee, it’s as mediocre and inconsistent as Red Rooster.

I don’t think I haven’t tried Oporto in a while, but I’ll get in on that 10% off for all TAFE and Uni students while it’s available till March 12th :sunglasses:

He speaks the truth. :+1::fries:

Featured the original shack store in Looking for Alibrandi.

The thing I hate about Oporto is if I ask for a meal they will always charge for a large meal, so I have to specifically ask for small if I want that. They automatically upsize. Nando’s has better chicken anyway, though it is more expensive.

Red Rooster delivery is wonderful, particularly their fish and chips (yes, really).

I’ll always remember the time our local store had “run out of chicken”. Almost beats the bakery in Wangaratta that ran out of bread.

3 Likes

I haven’t had that happen to me…
They always ask me if I want to upsize.

The best thing about Oporto are their chips, though they are a bit too salty.

The worst thing for me is with the burgers, the bottom of the bun always breaks and falls apart too easily. They taste alright, though nothing special, but they are more filling than say McDonalds.

I haven’t had Red Rooster for a while, but I do remember thinking that their chips were among the worst of the fast food majors… they tasted a bit too mushy and soggy to me.

3 Likes

I’m surprised there are so few, given that they manage to have stores at the rest stops either side of the freeway at Little River.

Never been tempted to try it.

Yup agreed. Red Rooster is average which is why I haven’t had it for almost a decade now!

[quote=“MelbTV, post:323, topic:336, full:true”]
Has anyone had Oporto? A new store will open near me. It will join McDonalds, KFC, Red Rooster and Hungry Jacks within the space of a few hundred meters from each other. One has to wonder how will it survive with those four already there. [/quote]Yes. I’ve a had it on a few occasions. It’s nothing special that’s for sure. Chips tend to be bloody salty and their burgers are rubbish to be honest. Out of those you’ve mentioned above HJ are the best IMO.

I do wonder how long that new one near you will survive for with already four similar outlets existing already.

[quote=“sammy123, post:337, topic:336, full:true”]
Yup agreed. Red Rooster is average which is why I haven’t had it for almost a decade now![/quote]Only had Red Rooster once before and it was pretty average I agree. Locally, Legs ‘N’ Breasts (which sells essentially the same type of stuff) is of far better value. Not that I buy much from there either really.

A Sydney burger chain (with a signature ‘Bondi Burger’) which is nationally ubiquitous except for in Melbourne? Colour me shocked.

Red Rooster - disgusting. Either excessively greasy, or just tastes off. I don’t know how they can stay open. I don’t know how it’s possible to think that Oporto is worse.

2 Likes

I don’t mind Red Roosters chicken rolls- from the times I’ve had them … One of the reasons why I haven’t had it for a while is that their stores aren’t very conveniently located here in Newcastle.