Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

It’s that good, is it?

I’ve been meaning to go there too!

And it’s only 1 hour from me.

what did you have at carls jr, exactly?

I’ve had the Big Carl and the original Thickburger. The shakes are excellent too.

1 Like

For those who are interested, the rebuilt McDonald’s at Glen Waverley is featured in an article on this week’s Monash Leader.

1 Like

I had some mushroom burger at the Brisbane airport one. It was really good and better than the Carls Jr burger I had in the US (which was more like a cheap Hungry Jacks style burger).

I had a beef and mushroom burger at Betty’s Burgers in Melbourne CBD (near the corner of Elizabeth and Collins streets) recently and it was really good. The store just opened last month.

Streets Ice Cream has announced two Golden Gaytime pop-up stores at Topshop Topman in Melbourne and Sydney, where you can get five special combos for $6 each for a limited time.
Sydney: Topshop Topman Sydney City store from 18th January
Melbourne: Topshop Topman Emporium store from 20th January
I will try to get one at the Melbourne store next Saturday.

???

How will they stop people eating Golden Gaytimes in the shop so that their merchandise doesn’t get ice cream stains all over them?

I think the Golden Gaytime pop-up stores will be placed just inside the main entrance to Topshop with signs reminding people that food cannot be consumed inside the shop. I also reckon the ice cream will also have wrapping just like those sold in supermarkets and milk bars.

1 Like

That sounds yummm. I must try it out one day.

I visited the Carl’s Jr. outlet at Bateau Bay just before Christmas. Plumping (groan) for the Jalapeno Thickburger- go hard or go home- I felt quite ordinary afterwards. The quality was a step up from the Evil Clown, but boy they must pack some calories in!

I really want to try Dominos’ new Poutine option on the menu. It looks so good!

You won’t if you’ve tried their rubbish oven chips before.

This Chiko Roll ad made me laugh this Aussie Day

4 Likes

I saw it on Ten about an hour ago…

They showed this morning too. :slight_smile:

Who buys Chiko rolls anymore? I remember in sketchy old canteens at schools and in sporting grounds you’d often see 1980s-era ‘Grab a Chiko’ signs, yet those places never actually carried them. I’ve eaten a few out of curiosities sake where they were available, but I’ve found it’s very rare to actually find a takeaway place that stocks them.

You usually see them in the freezer aisle at Coles, but I’m surprised they’re still being sold at all. No one I know has ever eaten one!

You can’t knock the Roll!!

There’s a Chiko-themed fast-food outlet at Southern Cross station in Melbourne.

1 Like

I thought that rather risqué advertising for Chiko rolls from the 70s/80s which you probably wouldn’t be able to get away with this days is possibly more iconic than the actual food itself.

Speaking of Chiko roll advertising, how was I not already aware of this retro-themed promotional ad (from August last year, as far as I can tell) for “The Chiko Roll Handy Holder” with Pete Smith?!

1 Like

I must say I have not had a Chiko roll for a few years. I occasionally notice boxes of Chiko in the freezer aisle in supermarkets.

According to The Age, Hungry Jacks has signed a 12-year lease at 17 Elizabeth Street in Melbourne CBD, which is next door to McDonald’s and was a pizza shop. HJ will operate a unique two-level store with dining space on ground floor and kitchen and office in the basement. This store will partly replace the two restaurants at both ends of Swanston Street, which will be acquired for Melbourne Metro tunnel project.