Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

I remember the bogans at my primary school loved something called “fire engines” or “fire extinguishers” or something. They came in cylindrical tubes with rounded, spherical ends and a small tab which could be cut with scissors to drink out of. Basically sugared water. This looks similar, but instead of artificial creamy product, it was just red food colouring + water + sugar

My vice as a kid were those Yoplait Go-Gurt tubes, basically Zooper Doopers but yoghurt in an opaque plastic tube. That would have been around the year 2000 when I was 5 years old.

I used to sneak into the kitchen and eat the whole box from the freezer. I think they’ve been taken off the market now.

Now that I look back, it seems absurd that consumers haven’t stopped buying Zooper Doopers. They’re basically water with sugar and food colouring.

Surely they’d have thought about making one with a zero calorie artificial sweetener so children don’t get fat? I know Quelch makes a knock-off Zooper Dooper but with fruit juice instead of sugared water, to play into the ‘health’ thing. They’re still pretty high in sugar, though.

As a kid, I remember there was an ice cream called “Wobble Gutz” which consisted of an ice block with a jelly inside. Now that was awesome. There was also a jelly drink which was basically Aeroplane Jelly inside a water bottle which you could drink. Man, I’d love to get my hands on those if they still exist today.

I think it was just as a novelty to build both brands out of peoples’ curiosity. I didn’t find the chocolate too bad, actually. Kind of like a Caramello with a hint of Vegemite. I’d buy it again.

They did stop buying them. Then last year there was HUGE marketing (especially on social media and Gen Y focused media sites) around them based around 90s nostalgia. Then they sponsored the big bash and gave away special “holders” for the tubes. Brand is back and fresh in everyones mind as a result.

Those small Coles icecream tubs are awesome. .

The fruit tingle ice cream is pretty good too.

4 Likes

Yeah surprisingly nice for something home-branded. I wonder which company Coles has contracted with to produce them.

Woolworths’ equivalent of those are pretty bad. I find the texture is too granular and some of the flavours are sickly sweet. No wonder they’re trying to flog them off for $2. I certainly wouldn’t pay full price ($4) for them.

Then there’s this:

Vegemite flavoured ice cream. I previously said the Vegemite Dairy Milk was a fairly reasonable novelty item, but I tried this shit and it was absolutely vile.

Yeah, I’m kinda addicted to the Fruit Tingle at the moment!

Came across this one the other day.

Not normally a lover of Rhubarb, but in this it’s surpringly good. Definitely recommend it if you haven’t already tried it.

[quote=“mubd, post:226, topic:336, full:true”]
Woolworths’ equivalent of those are pretty bad. I find the texture is too granular and some of the flavours are sickly sweet. No wonder they’re trying to flog them off for $2. I certainly wouldn’t pay full price ($4) for them.[/quote]Have previously tried the Woolies branded ice creams and they have nothing on the Coles brand varieties. Mind you, I’d apply that to all Woolies home-brand stuff. Truly disgusting.

“Halloween whopper, the bun is infused with cheddar cheese to give it a vibrant orange colour and very cheesy taste.”

I do love my whoppers but idk about that extra cheese :thinking:

[quote]FAST FOOD chain Hungry Jacks has officially declared NSW is the laziest state in the country by introducing a drive thru E-Tag for breakfast — meaning customers no longer have to talk in the mornings when ordering.

When approaching the drive-thru, they can go straight past the speaker box — where a ‘beep’ will sound to let the driver know their order has been detected inside the restaurant.

Hungry Jack’s will trial the technology at their Tumbi Umbi store on the NSW Central Coast, with the aim of rolling out the e-tag devices nationally.

[/quote]

I could understand using your actual E-tag to pay for food at drive-thrus, but having a separate E-tag which just stores a single order (you still have to open your window to pay) is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard of.

They’re going to be pissing money away on this expensive E-tag system which no one will ever use!

1 Like

Presumably you can store funds on your etag, but you would still have to stop and open your window to get your “food”

Coca-Cola adding ginger flavoured Coke in a bid to arrest declining sales. http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/10/22/10/08/coke-launches-ginger-flavour-in-hope-of-restoring-flat-sales

Yet they’ve admitted they don’t expect it to be a big seller

So they’re proceeding gingerly with this launch then?

4 Likes

OH!

Will sell more then coke life has for sure.

1 Like

am i the only one who actually liked coke life? i swear to god I am

Bring back Pepsi Blue

3 Likes

I think they’re either reformulating or relaunching that (or both)

I prefer Pepsi Next

They must have a shit ton of stock sitting around - they said about 6 months ago that they were going to relaunch it imminently.

It’s happening in 2017, apparently http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/coke-hopes-ginger-can-restore-its-fizz-20161021-gs7z2f.html