Nine Publishing

I’m not going to be lectured on “unhinged” and “partisan shrieking” by you, of all people.

It’s interesting that the media, in a slow news week, hasn’t got onto this SMH journo.

Any comments that upset the left are whipped into an unnecessary feast of coverage until the person apologises, withdraws their comment or resigns. It’s ridiculous.

Why isn’t this journo under the heatlamp for his outburst? I bet he was enjoying some beverages on his holiday, having a yarn with friends and then decided, ‘ooh, look at me, I’m clever, I have Twitter, let’s give that Liberal fatso a crack’.

Double standards reign. Time to call that out.

1 Like

I really have no view on that journalist, if they were disciplined fair enough. It’s your attitude on here that’s my issue and why you haven’t been re-banned is beyond me. You’re nothing short of an abusive bully.

It wasn’t on the front of The Washington Post, it was on the front page of Express, a free DC area commuter newspaper with a circulation of around 180,000 that is owned by The Washington Post. Hardly earth shattering. news.com.au and many other websites have also overstated the importance of the error.

1 Like

Neither of these instances are typos. Dewey defeats Truman was an incorrect projection, while this was one was a blunder. Surely a typo is a spelling/grammar error.

2 Likes

news.com.au most days is padded out with trashy stories from The Sun in the UK and The New York Post, and stories about photo mistakes on the internet. At least The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age still breaks stories in amongst the odd weird stuff.

1 Like

If only Dutton would lose his job for the truly incompetent and disgusting overseeing of Manus and Nauru

The Australian reports Fairfax has settled a defamation action launched by former Leighton Holdings chief executive Wal King, over a series of articles alleging his involvement in bribery and corruption ­activities in Iraq while he was CEO. King launched proceedings against Fairfax, after The Age and SMH alleged Leighton International chief executive David Savage had told him King had approved $42 million in kickbacks to Monaco-based Unaoil on a project in Iraq. Fairfax has now agreed to pay an undisclosed sum to settle King’s claims for damages and costs, and publish an apology:

On 3 October 2013, Fairfax Media published articles which alleged that during the time when Mr King was CEO of Leighton Holdings (ending in 2010) he knew of, and participated in, serious corporate misconduct involving bribery and corruption, including allegations that he knew about and in fact ‘approved’ the payment of a $42 million ‘bribe’ in Iraq.
We now accept that any such allegations against Mr King are false.
We unreservedly withdraw the allegations and apologise to Mr King.

Do you think The Age has scored a new sponsor??

2 Likes

More editorial changes at Fairfax. Darren Goodsir has quit after 3.5 years as editor-in-chief of The Sydney Morning Herald and 20 years with the company. AFR European correspondent James Chessell will return home to become national editor of both SMH and The Age overseeing federal politics, business and world news. Lisa Davies has been appointed editor of SMH, while Alex Lavelle is editor of The Age after being in an acting role since last December.

I think they do now…

Mainstream media have all been reporting on the SNL sketches so it’s not just Fairfax papers, so I think a lot of people would be well aware of the show or at least the sketches going viral.

However I do take your point about the story selection of what leads on SMH and The Age… not just Trump stories but some remarkably non-newsworthy stories do tend to get top billing. I guess it’s more about what gets the clicks rather than what’s news which is a bit sad. And news.com.au is pretty much same.

1 Like

Yesterday the top stories were all drawn from the 3 reality TV shows - 2 from MKR, 2 from Married and 4 from Celebrity plus The Project and Q&A.

1 Like

like those relentless “recaps” of reality shows on Fairfax websites… they were done about MasterChef as a bit of a lighthearted novelty years ago but now they feel the need to do the same treatment to any reality show now, including Q&A, the most scariest of them all.

3 Likes

I think they noticed the popularity of the sarcastic blog recaps about MasterChef and The Bachelor and jumped on board. The trouble was the poor ‘journalists’ that were given the task weren’t anywhere near as funny as the originals.

1 Like

Fairfax shares were put on trading halt this morning, pending an announcement on possible spin off of Domain Group at the company’s full year results tomorrow. Australian Financial Review suggests Fairfax will retain 60-70% stake of Domain when it is separately listed on the stock exchange, possibly by the end of this year.

Interesting, the traditional businesses will be thrown to the wolves, share price will plummet.

Fairfax confirms Domain spin off

Fairfax Media will spin out its online real estate site Domain into a separate company this year, but retain up to 70 per cent of the shares, the company confirmed today.
The new company will have its own board and management so it can develop ''distinct strategies" apart from Fairfax Media’s traditional news and publishing business. Shareholders will receive shares in the new company and no new capital will be raised.
Analysts value Domain itself at about $3 billion on current earnings trajectory.
Fairfax chairman Nick Falloon said separating into two companies will potentially attract new shareholders to Domain who have “different investment criteria”.
Meanwhile Fairfax’s half year accounts show the company experienced a 4.7 per cent decline in revenue to $913 million, but increased post tax profit by 6 per cent to $85 million.

Mumbrella adds Fairfax CEO Greg Hywood has ended speculation that print publication of The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald will end within the year. He said:

While we have considered many options, the main (option) we have developed involves continuing to print our publications daily for some years yet.
This is the best commercial outcome for shareholders based on current advertising and subscription trends.

I wouldn’t worry about Jo Tovey in Fairfax. She’s another young lefty writing for them.

1 Like

As soon as i saw that headline i just thought what a load of clickbaiting crap. I didn’t give them the satisfaction.

3 Likes