Digital TV Technical Discussion

OT but it’s my understanding Hitron is a like a cable/satellite TV service so Imparja, WIN WA etc aren’t actually broadcasting free to air. Australian channels like Southern Cross Central, Imparja etc also air in Vanuatu via Telsat Pacific.

As far as I know, Hitron hijacks SCTV, Imparja etc from VAST without permission. It’s sketchy asf.

4 Likes

Wasn’t there a QQQ transmitter outside of aus?

There’s ABC, SBS, CDT, QQQ and IMP transmitters smack bang in the middle of the Timor Sea at the Bayu-Undan Gas Project (between Darwin and Timor-Leste). Is this the one you’re referring to?

I guess it’s also questionable if there’s some blend between EMTV and NBC PNG and Australian TV stations in the far northern Torres Strait but probably would only affect a very small population.

1 Like

I wonder how that works with Canadian cable providers who rebroadcast US stations? I’m aware of regulations like program substitution for when a Canadian broadcaster has the rights, but I wonder how it’s legal in the first place.

1 Like

Yes,

But I do assume that there was also an ABC station up in Port Moresby pre NBC PNG.

Some out of place transmissions include QQQ on the Surf Cost in Victoria pre digital that is.

1 Like

Good question. I’d say it becomes illegal if the permission is never granted. Otherwise what would they be doing wrong?

1 Like

It would only affect only a few programs. Sunrise and occasionally The Morning Show is aired on EMTV (which would simulcast with Southern Cross Central’s broadcast) and sports like Friday Night and Sunday Afternoon NRL on NBC (simulcast with Imparja’s broadcast).

EMTV mostly airs international content from TVNZ so there’s rarely any clashes with Australian broadcasters and NBC has an agreement to re-broadcast NITV during the daytime hours. Digicel (Hitron’s competitor) mostly airs Australian content on their TVWAN channel.

1 Like

No. The Australian Broadcasting Control Board Annual Report 1972/1973 doesn’t show any ABC television stations in PNG, which was in the year before self-government. (The ABC had AM and SW radio stations in PNG, and the PNG administration had SW radio stations).

1 Like

EMTV in Papua New Guinea uses the Brisbane feed when they (used to) take Nine programming (however they now air Sunrise instead of Today, not sure). This could be a feed for this purpose.

All communities in PNG need to do this to have any television at all. IIRC a satellite dish capable of receiving Australian/SE Asian satellite feeds can cost up to $AU 2000, so many towns used to pool resources by buying two dishes (one for Aus, one for SE Asia) and running an almost makeshift cable service around compounds and towns. You’d then use a converter to transform a digital signal from a satellite receiver box into an analogue signal which was then distributed by coaxial cable. Each channel needed its own box, so this wasn’t a cheap endeavour.

Hitron is basically a more ‘professional’ version of this, and when I was last in PNG in 2014 they had started converting some households to digital (with widescreen). My town doesn’t have Hitron because the local hardware store (Malama) got into the business early and basically has a monopoly on cable, unless you’re wealthy enough to afford your own dish (and this makes you a target for robbers).

We used to get EMTV, Australia Network (RIP), Seven Central/SCTV, GWN7, ABC Queensland, SBS One, Star Movies, either Cartoon Network Asia or Nickelodeon Asia, FOX or Star World, BBC World News, CNN and a few Korean/Chinese/Hindi channels. I say either for Cartoon Network or Star World, because if the house which owned the dishes and receiver boxes wanted, they could change the station. I know for a fact one selfish six year old white boy once got in trouble for changing the channel mid-movie :wink:

3 Likes

Interesting. Before 2012, EMTV took The Today Show and any Australian-made programming made by Nine. Because EMTV did not have the rights to Nine’s US library, they had to air their own acquired content (The Simpsons got a decent run at one stage). Before 2006, Nine actually owned EMTV and thus EMTV’s schedule matched Nine’s with exception to local titles (the news, Haus and Home). I remember Ken Sutcliffe speaking terrible Tok Pisin during an ident from around 2005.

I know for sure they took the QTQ feed because we once saw a N9N opener air after Hot Seat before someone remembered to switch feeds.

Given that Seven Central is more widely available than Imparja, I wonder why EMTV takes Sunrise? Weird.

1 Like

It’s only a recent thing. Like in the past 6 months. Perhaps Seven wanted more audience reach and probably gives it to EMTV for free or low cost.

TVWAN has taken on selected Nine programming like 60 Minutes, Getaway and NRL Footy Show. Even community tv show Classic Restos gets a run.

1 Like

Also ‘The Block Glasshouse’ and Junior Masterchef AUS on their channel ‘Lifetime’

WTF is TVWAN? TV One? Does PNG have a third television station?

[quote=“melbournefan, post:205, topic:273, full:true”]
Also ‘The Block Glasshouse’ and Junior Masterchef AUS on their channel ‘Lifetime’
[/quote]A fourth channel? Or is this a satellite channel from overseas?

The future truly is here.

http://www.digicelplay.com.pg/tvwan/

It seems to be a subscription channel that runs via DVB-T2 Encrypted.

Lifetime broadcasts across Asia and Papua New Guinea. Not exclusive to PNG.

There’s actually another channel called PNG TV exclusively broadcast on Click TV (yes, a 3rd cable/sattelite provider!) which also broadcasts along with Sky News Australia’s Australia Channel.

So EMTV, NBC, TVWAN (exclusive to Digicel) and PNG TV (exclusive to Click TV).

1 Like

As of October 29 2016 i am no longer seeing captioning on any of the Win/Ten programmes,why is this??? Yes i do have subtitles and captioning turned on and it’s available on all other channels

What area are you in and what program/s have no subtitles? I am looking at Dr Phil at the moment on Ten and WIN there are subtitles in Queensland. There is also The Good Wife on Eleven with subtitles.

I’m on the far south coast in N.S.W and on eleven i have captions but on Win which s now Ten i have no captions at all!