Digital TV Technical Discussion

Yeah, I’m pretty confident there’s no MPEG-4 SD only receivers on the market - at least not terrestrial ones.

Certainly hope they do the flip to then make 9Gem a HD channel. I wonder if 9Go going HD is in the pipeline, or if we’ll see Gold go HD.

1 Like

Never. What a waste of bandwidth if they did.
MPEG4 SD is the best option for Gold.

If so then I like their approach. Just switch them like 10 did with 10 BOLD and be done with it.

[insert years-old running joke here]

3 Likes

In regional Vic, 7Mate is running MPEG4 HD on Ch64 with SD on 63.

1 Like

Has since the start of the month. Check the 7 Regional and HD Broadcasting threads.

As discussed in the DTV Channel Names thread.

4 Likes

In Tasmania 7two, 7mate, 10 bold and 10 peach will be changing to mpeg-4 on the 16th of August.

9 Likes

Great to see. Surprised they’re not taking this chance to launch 7Flix or take 7Mate HD. Nice to see a broadcaster going (almost) completely MPEG4.
Wonder if SCA is gonna follow suit with their other markets?

4 Likes

This will mean that SBS Viceland, SBS World Movies, SBS WorldWatch, 10 Peach, 10 Bold, 10 Shake, 7mate, 7TWO, 9Gem, 9Go and 9Life will all be in MPEG-4 only.

I have a feeling it will be similar to the analog switch off. I could see Regional Queensland next, as 7, 7TWO and 7mate are all in HD only, with the latter two in MPEG-4.

4 Likes

Not particularly compelling reason/s given for the change in that document. " to improve the quality of the services they deliver to meet consumer demand." Could have mentioned something about better picture and sound quality or to make room for more channels.

4 Likes

Interesting change. Don’t see how PQ will be affected much if they’re still SD. Hopefully they’ll use it to launch the additional metro channels into these markets.

4 Likes

This is a pretty cool experiment. Not only does it show that the networks are willing to work together to get rid of MPEG-2, but that the results from WIN doing the same thing earlier in the year must be positive.

I agree that this would have been a good opportunity to just make them HD instead of SD because we can see with Seven, Ten and SBS that this is where FTA is heading, but it probably would have changed the results they’re after.

8 Likes

No Sky regional in Tas?

SCA & WIN only have Sky News on their 10 affiliated stations and it isn’t on any 10 JV stations.

3 Likes

Channel 17 is showing ‘new channel launching soon’ on the EPG. No announcements yet on what the channel will be or when it’s launching.

1 Like

it has been for some weeks now Gecko

4 Likes

Think this advice from the original thread on Channel 17 might be worth highlighting here as well.

5 Likes

Despite this, seems the temptation was too great for some, so I’ve cleaned up some posts. The history section might be a better option for those who wish to remind us of the mid 2000s

Let’s keep it relevant to the topic, please.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Analysis of the ratings system

On the TV Tonight Lounge section someone commented that channel 17 has something called “Gecko channel coming soon”. I don’t live in a metro area so I can’t check. Does anyone know?